NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Where can I find a bottle of this? [Yellow Spot]

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Where can I find a bottle of this? [Yellow Spot]

Postby Jilson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:26 pm

My sister in law recently inherited this bottle of Yellow Spot.

We knew very little about it before we had a taste other than the fact it was old and I must say it was the finest whiskey I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. Which is more than I can say for her.

Just how old was this whiskey? Where might it have come from? where can I buy more?!

After a quick look around this community I'm certain I've come to the right place, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
picture010.jpg
The Bottle
picture010.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Jilson
New Spirit

Re: Where can I find a bottle of this? [Yellow Spot]

Postby JohnM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:55 pm

That's a real gem. They have only just revived the brand, but it will probably taste little like your original one. It was made at the Jameson Distillery in Bow Street for Mitchell and Sons. Or, they used to buy whiskey from the Jameson and put it in their casks and bottle it themselves. You might come across a bottle like this again, but it would be pretty rare and you'd have to pay a pretty penny for it.

The new version is available in Ireland anyway. You can get it at Mitchell and Sons or the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin. It's made at the Midleton Distillery. The websites say it's out of stock, but I think there's a few bottles available. It will be made in batches, so maybe there will be a new batch out soon.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Where can I find a bottle of this? [Yellow Spot]

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 am

It is at least 50 years old. Bow st. whisky can be got in the form of Gilbey's Redbreast, anther 12 year old and probably a similar profile for around 200 - 250 GBP. If you could get the Yellow Spot (I've not seen one available) expect to pay 500 or more as it is very rare.

I'm envious. Bow St. is about the best there ever was.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Collectors Corner