NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Two Old Finds

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Two Old Finds

Postby JRB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:51 am

Hi all,

Don't get to post as much as I'd like but I do enjoy checking in and reading all of your posts when I can. I've recently come into possession of these two old bottles... a Bushmills 9yr cork top and an old Irish Mist (I know... not really whiskey). In the small amount of time I've had to research I haven't been able to uncover much. Any details on either would be much appreciated.

I hope the attachments work... trying to do this from my phone. If not, I'll try again when my computer is fixed.

Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
JRB
New Spirit

Re: Two Old Finds

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Is the Bushmills Bottle embossed and any chance of seeing pictures if possible. Kind of hard to tell immediately what the date would be with out that.

Cheers
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am

That design of Irish Mist was available until the mid eighties,I think. The soldier is the more desirable collectable but I prefer those. I had a battalion of Irish mist soldiers a few years ago.

The bottle you have can sell between €40(auction)- €100+(retail).
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby JRB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 am

More pictures of the Bushmills as requested. Bottom first, then back.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.1 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
JRB
New Spirit

Postby JRB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks for the help gentlemen! I'll be opening the Bushmills, perhaps this weekend, so maybe I can follow up with a review of the contents. In the meantime, if anyone has more information on the bottle's history with the new pictures, feel free to share. Cheers!
JRB
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Sorry, thought I had replied to this already. Is there embossing on both sides. Does it mention any dates?

You actually can contact Diageo directly as they seem to ave a good archive and possibly can better date it for you.

Still can't see any markings that would give me a definite date ... Any embossing on the sides?

Possibly not and I reckon post WWII But per 60's. Not major value.

Not 100% though.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JRB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks IWC. There isn't any other embossing on it. I think we're getting close, though. I finally had a chance to dig a little into it and found two interesting things.

This bottle which was sold at The Whiskey Exchange (for quite a price!) has the closest matched label I've been able to find. http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-14804.aspx. It says its from the 30s. The only main difference of the labels is the importer. Quality Importers, from what I can find, started in the late 40s and was bought by Brown Forman in the mid 60s.

So IWC I think you were right on with post WWII at the earliest and 60s latest. I'd like to think on the early end due to the label similarity to the above bottle and the cork top. Either way, pretty pleased with my €40 purchase. Looking forward to a drink!
JRB
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 am

Unfortunately Labels in the good old days can change very little over a matter of decades. This is a problem with Jameson too and very hard to date purely by label sometimes.

If it was pre war it probably would have had 1784 embossed on the bottle but this lasted into at least the 60's on labels but I have totally forgotten my Bush history and can't find my notes on it. I have one from the 20's but unfortunately the label was badly deteriorated and eventually fell off.

There can be some correlation to date as to how they titled the actual company on labels too but I'm unsure of the exact way this fell but can be researched.

And the differences can be quite subtle

Like The "Old Bushmills" Distillery Co

or The Old Bushmills Distillery Co Ltd
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Collectors Corner