NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Old Bottle Identification??

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Old Bottle Identification??

Postby uyn3387 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 am

Hello there,
I have this bottle that I found in an old loft. I have since cleaned the bottle.

Can you tell me the date of production please?

Do you have a picture of a bottle similar to this? The red label has fallen off and I don't know its exact position on the bottle to stick it back on.

Can you tell me any other info about the bottle? Like, it appears to be bottled by WHITE & CO. LIMERICK.

All the best,
Gordon
Attachments
PICT3661.JPG
PICT3661.JPG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
PICT3660.JPG
PICT3660.JPG (55.46 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
PICT3659.JPG
PICT3659.JPG (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
uyn3387
New Spirit

Re: Old Bottle Identification??

Postby Raven » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Company was W.H.White & Co. Limerick ----long gone. Original premises was I believe
'the White house' pub @ corner of O'Connell & Glentworth Streets. Latterly I think may have
ended up in Thomas St. before they ceased to trade. Also bottled John Jameson 10 year old
using their own very distinctive label as 'White's Red Label' liqueur whiskey of which I have
an old bottle.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Nice bit of info there raven :thumbsup:

Basically per mid 1960's most whiskey in Ireland was bottled by the retailer. Mainly pubs etc so you may find many variations of labels. When you say red label is it a small kidney shaped label if so on the bulbous part of the neck. If a rectangle stating an age under the main label near the base.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby uyn3387 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 am

So, there would be no way of finding out anything about the bottle from White & Co.

Can you tell me roughly when White & Co. finished up its business??

What does the number 797579 mean in the centre of the label?

Can anyone tell me if the bottle that I have is worth any money or not?

All the best,
Gordon
uyn3387
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am

I'm afraid I reckon that it is worthless ... and if it was to be worth something the label is in too bad of a condition.

I reckon the Number to be a retailer number issued by the Distillery. Each retailer would have a unique number.

These were in use up to the 60's and pop up regularly.

Here is a picture of an unused label I have which is in good condition. I suspect that it would have been identical to yours if we could of compared yours if in better condition. The black bit at the end ("Not a drop sold ...") is actually a separate label and placed where the red kidney label is on your bottle is and the red 3 stars label should be on the neck.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 am

Raven wrote:Company was W.H.White & Co. Limerick ----long gone. Original premises was I believe
'the White house' pub @ corner of O'Connell & Glentworth Streets. Latterly I think may have
ended up in Thomas St. before they ceased to trade. Also bottled John Jameson 10 year old
using their own very distinctive label as 'White's Red Label' liqueur whiskey of which I have
an old bottle.

Here is a 12year old version of the Red label called Blue label.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Collectors Corner