NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whiskey Auction for Premature Babies

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Whiskey Auction for Premature Babies

Postby varizoltan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm

as yous know i am doing a charity whiskey tasting

see more here; viewtopic.php?f=38&p=13339#p13339

after the tasting there will be an auction of a few collectors item bottles;

Barry Crocket Legacy, signed by Master Distiller Barry Crocket

Jameson 12 Midleton Distillery reserve, signed by the 3 Jameson Masters (Barry Crocket, Billy Leighton, David Quinn)

3 bottles of Redbreast 12

Irishman Single Malt, Signed by Barnard Walsh

Connemara Turf Mor, signed by John Teeling and Jack Teeling
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Whiskey Auction for Premature Babies

Postby varizoltan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I understand that some people can not attend the tasting, buy if you like to buy a bottle, please contact me in a private message, or give me a call or email me at zoltan dot vari at irishwhiskeysociety dot com

i will take a bid off you, and have it as a reserve price on the night, and if you come out as a winner, i arrange the pick up and payment with you
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Z,

Just to let you know that your taking absentee bids you need to take a start bid and a top bid from every one. This is to actually to get your start bid and then in the auction on the night any persons there can bid but still may be up against an absentee bid.

I would also suggest do it in €5 bids or you might scare people away.

It would work like this.

Say you get 3 absentee bids from Curly, Larry & Moe.

Curly bids 30-40Euro, Larry 20 - 50 and Moe 70-100

Larry would technically start the bidding at 20Euro but Curly's 30-40bid are basically out bid straight away by Larry and it would be at €45
then Moe's bid comes into effect but as his start bid is 70 it goes straight to 70 and knocks out Larry.

However at this stage the biding stops and have a 70Euro start bid for the live auction so Larry still has 30euro to play with and a max bid of €100.

So if you only get 2 further 5euro bids in the live auction that will only bring Moes bid to €85 so the wining bid by the absentee bidder is €85 and not €100.

Anyway I'm sure it will all be a bit of fun.

Now in saying that I think this is an excellent cause and I would like to donate a bottle to the auction also.

If people are interested in an absentee bid I'll throw in a very collectable ...

Erin Go Bragh Single Malt 6YO

Should be worth a €100 min of anybody's money.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Adrian,

that is very kind of you, i am sure someone will buy that too.

i am aware of auction rules, so i can manage that end of it too, but thanks for the suggestion, and for a very generous donation :thumbsup:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Just to let you know that your taking absentee bids you need to take a start bid and a top bid from every one.

Why would anybody submit a start bid of more than €5? If it's just to kick off the bidding...
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 am

DavidH wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Just to let you know that your taking absentee bids you need to take a start bid and a top bid from every one.

Why would anybody submit a start bid of more than €5? If it's just to kick off the bidding...

That is an online auction phenomenon where all bids start at the bottom. But in general auctions people do use start bids. Also a regular auctioneer very rarely starts at 0. And he usually tries to start at the lower estimate and works down from there until there is a bid or the lot is withdrawn due to lack of interest.

For instance in car auctions people don't put in a start bid of a €5 as it serves no purpose. But if the car had an auction guide of say €10,000 you find many people (not all) put in start bids of 10-20% less than the reserve if they are really interested in the object. This is to cover the scenario that (1.) if the car does not reach it's reserve price they get to enter a decent bid & (2.) the car may still be sold by auctioneer at his discretion at sometimes up to 20% under the reserve.

So if you put in a start bid of 50% under and nobody else bided against you then the lot would be with drawn even though you may have had an upper limit over the guide price. Not sure if that is clear or not ....

However I suppose in the case of whiskey though your point is more correct ... silly me ... getting a bit overly complex on a simple situation :oops: It's mainly used for high value goods.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 am

I don't know much about auctions so I was curious. I can see that a start bid has to come from somewhere, and if there is just one absentee bidder for a lot then it could be tricky to get above the reserve, even if the bidder is willing to pay that much.

I felt sorry for Moe in your example though. He should have paid €55 but you charged him €70. If he was present at the auction he would have paid €55 so it seems unfair. That's why I wondered why he would have submitted such a high start bid.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 am

DavidH wrote:I felt sorry for Moe in your example though. He should have paid €55 but you charged him €70. If he was present at the auction he would have paid €55 so it seems unfair. That's why I wondered why he would have submitted such a high start bid.

Ah sure, you know Moe he was always a bit over eager ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:41 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Ah sure, you know Moe he was always a bit over eager ;)

Yeah, he's a terrible man for spending the money like water. With luck, he'll be at the auction on Thursday.

Here's a link to the event on Facebook, by the way. It's a fun tasting too, even if you are not an auction-going Curly, Larry or Moe...
http://www.facebook.com/events/201228709984433/
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:If people are interested in an absentee bid I'll throw in a very collectable ...

Erin Go Bragh Single Malt 6YO

Should be worth a €100 min of anybody's money.

Embarrassingly I have not been able to find the Erin go Bragh and my records say I should have 2 :!: :oops:

Really sorry about that Zoltan as I don't think I have anything else which will be near as interesting.

I have the following any of which you may want to consider.

Jameson 18yo

Kilbeggan Distillery reserve Malt Batch 001

Locke`s Grand Crew Single Cask, Single Malt

Tyrconnell 14YO Limited Edition Single Cask Malt

Any of those take your fancy for the Auction.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 pm

i think the Locke`s Grand Crew will be great
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 am

varizoltan wrote:i think the Locke`s Grand Crew will be great

Locke`s Grand Crew grand crew it is then, I'll bring it up with me on Thursday :thumbsup:
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

another gentleman, who would prefer to be anonymous, have offered a bottle for the auction:

Campbeltown Loch 30
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:11 pm

A BIG THANKS FOR ALL WHO SPONSORED THE CHARITY TASTING & AUCTION :thumbsup:

here is the result of the auction;

Barry Crocket Legacy, signed by Master Distiller Barry Crocket (extremely generous sponsoring!!!) €410

Redbreast 12 lot. #1 (yes €250, again an extremely generous sponsoring!!!!) €250

Left over half bottles after the tasting;
Writers Tears,Tullamore Dew 12, Redbreast 12, Midleton very rare 2011,
Tyrconnell 11 single cask for Celtic Whiskey Shop, Locke's 8 (again a very generous sponsoring!!!) €250

Jameson 12 Midleton Distillery reserve, signed by the 3 Jameson Masters (Barry Crocket, Billy Leighton, David Quinn) €140

Connemara Turf Mor, signed by John Teeling and Jack Teeling €105

Locke`s Grand Crew 696 signed by Michael Slevin €105

Irishman Single Malt, Signed by Barnard Walsh €70

Campbeltown Loch 30 €70

Writers Tears €45

Tullamore Dew 12 €45

Powers 1970-1980-s blend, (Italian market) €35

Locke's 8 Single malt €35

Redbreast 12 lot. #2 €35

Redbreast 12 lot. #3 €35

Redbreast 12 lot. #4 €30

Redbreast 12 lot. #5 (I did not want to take more off a student, and he paid €30 admission too...) €20
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Well done on the event.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Well done Zoltan and to the other sponsors. That was a good amount collected. Everyone had a good night too by the look of those empty bottles.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Great that it all went to plan Z. And even better that you made some excellent prices. It all helps.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Collectors Corner