NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Query

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Query

Postby Midleton Mike » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this so I would like to thank you in advance for and help you can give me regarding the following query.

A friend of mine was given a very very old bottle of Midleton Whiskey as a gift. He has looked into finding what year it was distilled and is looking for a rough valuation. It has been sitting on a top shelf of a pub for al least 35 years.He brought is to Irish Distillers who are very interested in buying it from him but as it is a gift, this is not something that he is interested in selling. Irish Distillers would not put a value on it. Would anyone out there be able to shed some light on this.

Again, Thanking you in advance.

Mike.
Attachments
Whiskey 4.jpg
Whiskey 4.jpg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Midleton Mike
New Spirit

Re: Query

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 pm

These were release in the early 70's and possibly the pre-cursor to today's Midleton VR which is released anually.

I'm surprised at the IDL offer as I know they have versions of this now ... when was this offer made?

Up to 3 years ago these were as rare as hens teeth however these are more common that they used to be now. At their height you may have got 3-400Euro but that would have been for a good example, now not sure of value. However your example the label is in very poor condition thus possibly only worth €100-150.

Here is a pic of a better example I used to own.

Midleton Reserve 107-1
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Midleton Mike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks Irish Whiskey Chaser,

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Great to see your pic. Great to see one in that condition.

The offer was made approx 8 or 9 years ago i think. There was 2 bottles sitting on a top shelf of a bar and someone from IDL saw it and said that they would be interested in purchasing it. Not sure how serious they were or amything.

Thanks again.
Midleton Mike
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 am

Midleton Mike wrote:Thanks Irish Whiskey Chaser,

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Great to see your pic. Great to see one in that condition.

The offer was made approx 8 or 9 years ago i think. There was 2 bottles sitting on a top shelf of a bar and someone from IDL saw it and said that they would be interested in purchasing it. Not sure how serious they were or amything.

Thanks again.

Hi Mike,

I think they were probably serious at the time but at this stage a good few have popped up and I know they have one in much better condition now. A pity as your friend may have been able to make a killing at the time ;-).
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DublinGus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Seen a few in a glass cabinet in Smithfield beside the bar all in perfect condition.
DublinGus
Rundlet Cask

Return to Collectors Corner