NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Midleton Rare collection

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Midleton Rare collection

Postby clonak1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:56 pm

I have a complete collection of Midlton Rare from 1984-2011 that I'm thinking of selling. I'd be interested in any input as to how much it might go for. Thanks!
clonak1
New Spirit

Re: Midleton Rare collection

Postby varizoltan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 am

clonak1 wrote:I have a complete collection of Midlton Rare from 1984-2011 that I'm thinking of selling. I'd be interested in any input as to how much it might go for. Thanks!

Hi Clonak1,

welcome to our forum,

the collection worth 25-30G, but to find a buyer is the biggest challenge

you can try the whiskyauction.com, but they will sell it one by one,

your best bet to find a bar in a really posh hotel to buy it as a bulk, because it is hard to get a single person for it in this economical climate
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:12 pm

A partial collection was sold in December 2011 covering vintages from 1984-2003 for €8,000, then add an average €150 each for 2004-2011 and that brings it to €9,200.

That sets a floor of about €10,000 for a complete collection.

The DAA have/had a complete collection as new for €24,000 in 2011.

My personal view is €12,000 would be a good return on a complete collection,

Again finding a buyer with deep pockets is your challenge,

Worth discussing with the CelticWhiskeyShop and/or Adams Auctioneers here in Ireland before you proceed.

Views from anyone else?
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby kurtbenoit » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I think there's nearly a constant presence on this forum of different people looking for different years from the Midleton collection, if he wasn't in a rush to sell I think he could sell them individually over 6 months. Perhaps he could do a guarantee, first person to ask for a particular year, he keeps it for them, doesn't sell just yet, but guarantees it's their's. When he has enough guarantees to make selling worth his while, he can sell to the people he guaranteed them to. I've bought and sold to people on this forum where the bottles were kept for around 4 months so to avoid postage charges and traded when it was possible to meet face to face.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:48 pm

The most I've seen paid for a full collection was €10k. That was a number of years ago when times were better. You could probably assemble a collection yourself for about €3,000, although it would take a long time - there are more and more individual bottles for sale at auctions these days. I think €8,000 to €12,000 would be a fair price...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:49 pm

kurtbenoit wrote:I think there's nearly a constant presence on this forum of different people looking for different years from the Midleton collection, if he wasn't in a rush to sell I think he could sell them individually over 6 months. Perhaps he could do a guarantee, first person to ask for a particular year, he keeps it for them, doesn't sell just yet, but guarantees it's their's. When he has enough guarantees to make selling worth his while, he can sell to the people he guaranteed them to. I've bought and sold to people on this forum where the bottles were kept for around 4 months so to avoid postage charges and traded when it was possible to meet face to face.

If you sold them individually, you'd get between 100 and 400 per bottle. It would work out much less than selling as an entire collection. Although it might be harder to sell as an entire collection.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 pm

My view would be to contact Ally in the Celtic Whiskey Shop and make him aware of your collection and if he comes across anybody he might be able to assist you but as said by others it could take a while to find a buyer in this climate.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Collectors Corner