NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Empties?

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Empties?

Postby Cosi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 am

I have a small quandary....

what do you all do with your empty bottles? I have a handful of empty bottles that I am somewhat torn over. While are goodness has been long drained I don't want to throw out the bottles, but they are just taking up space. If it was a bottle of run of the mill Jameson it would be straight in the recycle with it. However, while not in any way rare or exclusive, the would be...interesting?

They are things like a 16 year old bowmore from 2007 (labelled 1991) and 2008 (labelled 1992), a bottle of bunnahabhain darach ur, a yamazaki 12 year old, a lagavullin distillers edition, a talisker distillers edition and a laphroaig 15 year old.

so, my question is this, what do you all do, horde like a lunatic or mercilessly dump.

I am leaning towards dumping so if anyone wants anything listed above for a dusty collection of memories of fine whiskey shout and you can have it.

C.
Cosi
New Spirit

Re: Empties?

Postby PgD » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 am

Sell the empties to the Chinese. They refill expensive bottles of wine with something or another and then sell it as the real thing to their unsuspecting noveau riche patrons for full price. I can only imagine they would do the same with whiskey empties given the chance. Check out the price for high end empty bottles on eBay it's shocking.
PgD
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am

PgD wrote:Sell the empties to the Chinese. They refill expensive bottles of wine with something or another and then sell it as the real thing to their unsuspecting noveau riche patrons for full price. I can only imagine they would do the same with whiskey empties given the chance. Check out the price for high end empty bottles on eBay it's shocking.

There were a few Italian sellers on eBay and elsewhere doing the same thing. Might have just been one prolific seller under a number of different names.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am

I've only ever held on to one bottle and that was a Hibiki 17yo which I removed the label and now filled with a sample of Midleton. The rest I bin (Recycle bin), I'd be shot other wise ... over the years I have binned 100's of non standard bottles.

Of the ones you mentioned the physical bottles themselves are still fairly bog standard bottles so I reckon it's the labels your more attached to.

Maybe you could try something like this ... Something I toyed with but just did not have enough interest in it to do.

Label A-Peel

I think there are others on the market too so do a web search and you could do up a scrapbook type thing.

Or simply steep them in warm water until they slide off and then dry them.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I've only ever held on to one bottle...

I can't seem to throw away one of the Bushmills bottles from before they faffed around with the shoulders. Design classic.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 pm

I can't seem to bin them either. I look upon them as fallen soldiers and feel the need to honour them in some way.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby matt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I peel of the labels of the bottle and dry them. Afterwards i laminate the label and stick it in a album.

I do that for a good while now, and i think it is a nice memory.
matt
Rundlet Cask

Return to Collectors Corner