NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Maurice Walsh Book

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Maurice Walsh Book

Postby Chuck Finlay » Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Long time lurker here, unfortunately with nothing enlightening to contribute.

Would be interested in picking up a copy of this book. I see its on sale at Whiskey live, however, being out of the country for work that's not a possibility for me.

Does anyone know if there is another means of getting a copy?
Chuck Finlay
New Spirit

Re: Maurice Walsh Book

Postby cathach » Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Which Maurice Walsh book is this? Do you mean Whiskey published in the Bell? Thats just a magazine article, but he wrote novels as well.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby Chuck Finlay » Thu May 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It would be the one mentioned here http://irishwhiskeyblog.com/2011/04/29/reserve.aspx

Launched at the last tasting event I think.
Chuck Finlay
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Well Ken Mawhinney is a member of the society, so you've come to the right place...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Chuck Finlay wrote:Long time lurker here, unfortunately with nothing enlightening to contribute.

Would be interested in picking up a copy of this book. I see its on sale at Whiskey live, however, being out of the country for work that's not a possibility for me.

Does anyone know if there is another means of getting a copy?

you can get a copy at one of our tastings :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Chuck Finlay » Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm

varizoltan wrote: you can get a copy at one of our tastings :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, being stuck in Russia for the medium term that's not really an option at the moment.

When I return I shall try and make it to some. On my ever growing list of things to do....
Chuck Finlay
New Spirit

Postby John » Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 am

I wonder is it possible to put the book up for sale on the site for those unable to attend the meetings? I'm not sure if there is a member / non-member price. Are you an IWS member Chuck?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 16, 2011 2:26 pm

This is a limited edition of 95 Volumes and individually numbered and signed by Barry Walsh, grandson of Maurice Walshe. Barry himself is a retired IDl master blender. Unfortunately this is currently only available to Card Carrying (i.e.fully paid) members of the Irish Whiskey Society. Until such time as that the membership sales have petered out. This will probably mean that it will not be made available to IWS forum members and other non members for a while yet.

Whiskey - Maurice Walsh.JPG
Whiskey - Maurice Walsh.JPG (214.52 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

Whiskey by Maurice Walsh, Prepard & Published on behalf of the IWS by Ken Mawhinnie, Foreword by Ken Mawhinnie, Afterword by Barry Walsh.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Finlay » Tue May 17, 2011 6:45 pm

If one were a member (another thing on my list of things to do) but unable to attend tastings could you recommend an alternative means of securing a copy of the book?
Chuck Finlay
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Chuck Finlay wrote:If one were a member (another thing on my list of things to do) but unable to attend tastings could you recommend an alternative means of securing a copy of the book?

you can send a friend to an event to collect it on your behalf, subject to confirmation from you, just pm me and we sort it out for you
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby mawhinney » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Copies still available to Members at the next tasting on 28 July at €20.
Any remaining copies then available to our wider circle of non-member friends at €30.
Then when they have gone, they have gone! Probably then only obtainable on ebay at immense prices.
Looking forward to a Bladnoch (inter al) on Thursday.
Cheers
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Return to Collectors Corner