NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

30 year old Irish Whiskey

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

30 year old Irish Whiskey

Postby Lozza » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 am

Hi, I am looking to get a friend a bottle of Irish Whiskey for his 30th Birthday. As I have no idea about whiskey I was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of bottles which may do the trick.

All I know is that he doesn't like Scottish Whisky (he is Irish after all), he doesn't like whiskey with a peaty/earthy taste, he likes it to be a smooth flavour. This all means nothing to me so any help or advice would be great!
I am looking to spend about 150-200 pounds.

Thanks!!
Lozza
New Spirit

Re: 30 year old Irish Whiskey

Postby DavidH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Where are you, Lozza? That will make a difference as to what's available.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Lozza wrote:Hi, I am looking to get a friend a bottle of Irish Whiskey for his 30th Birthday. As I have no idea about whiskey I was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of bottles which may do the trick.

All I know is that he doesn't like Scottish Whisky (he is Irish after all), he doesn't like whiskey with a peaty/earthy taste, he likes it to be a smooth flavour. This all means nothing to me so any help or advice would be great!
I am looking to spend about 150-200 pounds.

Thanks!!

There's only one 30-year-old that I know of, that that's the Midleton 30. It's way above that price braket, though.

What about a Bushmills Millennium? Or a Jameson 18... Then there's the Midleton single cask available at the Celtic Whiskey Shop of the one at Terminal One at Dublin Airport.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm

£150-200 would suggest your in the UK.

Avoid Connemara if he is not into peated whiskey but pretty much everything else should be fine.

You have 2 good options and both have reasonable postal charges. Further anything in your price range will be a nice and decent bottle.

The Whisky Exchange in the UK

Best bottles here would be

Redbreast 15yo
Jameson 18yo
Midleton Very Rare 2010 (The 2011 will not be released till the end of the year)

There is also the Jameson Rarest Vintage 2007 which is £250 and possibly too expensive but an amazing whiskey.

&

The Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin

Currently the CWS has a bigger selection of Irish Whiskey.

You could go for a Jameson Gift box which has 3 x20cl bottle of their reserve bottles with a 12yo, Gold & 18yo. SO 3 for the price of one.

As mentioned earlier there is a SIngle Cask Midleton which is a fairly exclusive bottle.

Even more exclusive and slightly above you budget is the A Limited Edition Green Spot and comes in a decent wodden box.

However if you know some one in Dublin they might Pop in to the Jameson Heritage Centre in Bow St and get you a Personalised Jameson 12yo. You could then buy another bottle also maybe like the Redbreast 15yo and you get a Birthday boy who it twice as happy ;)

Just to let you know the Bow Street 12yo is actually a different whiskey to the regular Jameson 12yo.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Lozza » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Sorry should have said I'm in London.
Willing to pay more if it's going to be a good one!
I'm happy to pay more if the Whiskey is worth it!

All advice appreciated!
Thanks again
Lozza
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:52 pm

You can now get the Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve for £250 at the Whisky Exchange, which has a branch in London - Vinopolis
1, Bank End, London SE1 9BU.

I think it's a pretty special whiskey.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Lozza

The Whisky Exchange is located in the Vinopolis
Address ... 1, Bank End, London SE1 9BU.

Edit: Ooppps John you beat me to it :oops:

It is one of the top Whisky shops in the UK and the staff are very good. Obviously London is a big place but if you can get a chance to pop in there as it would be well worth it for any advise they could give you also.

I mentioned the Jameson Rarest Vintage earlier. This comes in a big heavy box and looks pretty impressive but it is also should be a very impressive whiskey for an Irish Whiskey lover. However the consideration is would it be worth spending that amount on one bottle or would you be better off getting 2 decent bottles. I have one open at the moment and must admit I'm glad I bought it but in general it is very hard Justifying such an out lay ... but that is a decision only you can to make. Good luck and I hope the lucky bugger appreciates the effort you are going to :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:12 pm

www.milroys.co.uk are another London option and they are very helpful.

Milroy's of Soho
3 Greek Street,
London W1D 4NX

And one I haven't tried myself.

http://www.whisky-online.com

Whisky-Online.com Ltd
Units 1-3 Concorde House
Charnley Road
Blackpool
Lancashire
FY1 4PE
United Kingdom
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 am

I see the Whisky Exchange lists a 15yo Tyrconnell single cask for £55. That would be my top choice from there, regardless of price. A 10-year old port finish Tyrconnell would be a good companion (port is my favourite but many rate the madeira higher).
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I think the world of whiskies in Heathrow etc has the Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve for £205...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Evans Edwards » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi there,

As I tasted so many brands, two are my favourite Paddy and Laphroaigh and sometimes Jamesons also.
Evans Edwards

Pilsner Glass
Evans Edwards
New Spirit

Return to Collectors Corner