NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Swap shop / Buy and Sell

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Swap shop / Buy and Sell

Postby kurtbenoit » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Would there be any objections, or would it be against IWS policy to have a thread for forum members looking to buy or sell or swap desired bottles of whiskey. Obviously the trading would be via private messages and most likely carried out in person.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Re: Swap shop / Buy and Sell

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 pm

I think it may be best to leave it informal ... in saying that I mean that we should not have a specific topic about it. So I think possibly we will delete this thread. I'll have a chat with the other moderators.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 pm

I think it would have to be a case by case basis, you often see people looking for an idea with regards to valuations who occasionally end up in an exchange of private emails which until may or may not end up in an arrangement between the two. A similar long run thread it ended up being removed from the WhiskyMag forum.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby woodman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm

I have a millenium bottle of Midleton Whiskey in its original box with the registration certificate and number which I would like to sell. It is in mint condition. Any idea what sort of price I should look for? The whiskey owner hasn't been registered yet because I had intended to visit the brewery to register it (invitation included with the bottle) but haven't got around to it yet.
woodman
New Spirit

Postby kurtbenoit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 pm

The CWS has one of those in stock at the moment, I think they're selling that at 199 euro at the moment, I stress the "I think" part.
But I should be in they're during the week and I can check or you can call them and see.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby woodman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Kurtbenoit - what / who is the CWS? If you do happen to be in there and notice if they have it and the price that would be great!
I also have a 'classic whiskies of Ireland' stand - it is used (came from a pub in Drogheda about 8 years ago) but looks nice - would it have any value do you know?
woodman
New Spirit

Postby woodman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Googled cws - celtic whiskey shop - and checked them out online but didn't find the bottle I have. The box looks like the one listed at €145.
woodman
New Spirit

Postby kurtbenoit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Don't know about the stand.
For some reason the CWS don't keep alot of their stock of older bottles updated on their website, which is unfortunate. But I will let you know if I'm in there. They definitely had it recently.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 pm

woodman wrote:Googled cws - celtic whiskey shop - and checked them out online but didn't find the bottle I have. The box looks like the one listed at €145.

€145 is for the current bottling ... you should realise at least €200 for the 2000 bottle. I think your best bet would be to stick it up on ebay as the 2000 editions seem to get good prices there. Technically it is not a Millennium edition just released in 2000 as they release one every year but this would have been released late in 2000. People still think of it as a Millennium edition though and it always sems to make more than say a 2001 or 1999.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby kurtbenoit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 pm

The CWS sold the 2000 Midleton on January 17th for 299 euro, so I was well off. :oops:
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm

kurtbenoit wrote:The CWS sold the 2000 Midleton on January 17th for 299 euro, so I was well off. :oops:

the best way you can estimate the price on a Midleton very rare, if you add 10% for each year on the top of the current years bottle price, so 300euro is about the correct price
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Of course that rule of thumb really only applies to the retail price.

From around 1996 onwards the maximum you should pay is €200-250.

My own guide for retail would be RRP €145 for 2006-2011 then add €20 for every year prior to that with a slight premium for the 2000 vintage for some reason.

Collectors will generally pick the recent bottlings up for far cheaper than that. The average price I paid for 2000s bottlings is c. €130, the 1990s cost an ave €200. the 1980s bottlings €300 +/- €50.

So as said many times before there is the 'Auction' value, the 'Retail' value and the 'Insurance/Replacement' value if you could get insurance.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Garf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I have been given a bottle of Bushmills Millenium Malt Cask 307 in a special presentation box with a Bushmills Millenium Malt Cask 307 Class with it, they were specially made for a Belfast Printing company for their employees, What would it be worth and would anyone like to buy it?
Garf
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Garf wrote:I have been given a bottle of Bushmills Millenium Malt Cask 307 in a special presentation box with a Bushmills Millenium Malt Cask 307 Class with it, they were specially made for a Belfast Printing company for their employees, What would it be worth and would anyone like to buy it?

Can you post a picture as I presume you meant in a presentation Box with Glass which may add a small premium to the bottle. These Millennium Bottles usually only fetch 100-120Euro. The whiskey if it was retailed by bushmills would retail much higher today but there are so many of these out there that the resale prices don't really go up. Basically 365 casks were sold and bottled for private individuals and companies for the millennium.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby kurtbenoit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:19 pm

The Cill AIrne, (boat restaurant/bar) on the river Liffey recieved a similar Millenium Malt, boxed and with glass, I think the manager said he recieved it from a Diageo rep, I saw it in October of last year and he had HIS valued at about 150 euro.
If you post a few pictures of it I may be interested in buying it.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 pm

kurtbenoit wrote: the manager said he recieved it from a Diageo rep,.

these were sold in year 2000, when Bushmills was part of IDL

am I correct?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby kurtbenoit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Like I said it was back in October, I thought that's what he said but it was probably Irish Distillers, or possibly one of those casks that Diageo keep "finding" at the back of the warehouse.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:03 pm

kurtbenoit wrote:Like I said it was back in October, I thought that's what he said but it was probably Irish Distillers, or possibly one of those casks that Diageo keep "finding" at the back of the warehouse.

:thumbsup:

that is a possibility
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

RE: Swap shop / Buy and Sell

Postby horse man » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 pm

hi my name is john, im collecting midleton v r, need every year from 2003 back to 1985! if ya have any please reply!
horse man
New Spirit

Postby Liam Murray » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Greetings all from Kilkenny.
One of my customers has just dropped in a box of various whiskies and assorted drinks for evaluation and opinion.
The stash consists of
John Jameson and Son
12 Year Old Liqueur Whiskey bonded and bottled by John Fitzgerald and Son Tr5alee
Ullage Lower Shoulder
IGB 1440 16 75

Paddy Old Irish Whiskey Glass Crock Glass Stopper with cork. No ABV or Volume info on label.
Was this the anniversay Duty Free bottle?

Redbreast 12 Years Old Matured and bottled in bond by Gilbeys of Ireland Ltd

Bottle info Liquor Bottle 1531 - 8

Crown Royal 70 percent proof 1963

Seagrams Benchmark Premium Bourbon

Bourbon Street 60 percent proof 4/5 quart prepared and bottled by Summit Marketing Co. Baltimore MD

Tullamore Dew Crock 70percent proof 26 2/3 fluid ozs
Shipped and bottled by Tullamore Dew Company Dublin Ireland.
This jar contains Uisge Baugh A blend of rare old Irish Whiskey

I shall try and get some photos up on site tomorrow Sunday.
Regards Liam Murray Wine Centre KilKenny
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby DavidG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 am

Hello everyone,

When clearing out my late father's drinks cabinet I found three interesting bottles of Irish Whiskey. Not being a drinker myself -- and therefore not knowledgeable about such matters -- I was wondering about their background and how much they may be worth.

The bottles are:
1. Old Bushmills Millennium Single Barrel Single Malt 1982 (Cask No. 18429, Bottle No. 181, 51.6%, 700ml) in its original wood box. (See attached photo.)
2. Midleton Very Rare 1999 (40%, 700ml) in its original wood box. (Two bottles, one open and one sealed; see attached photo of the open bottle.)

Any assistance regarding the background, value and rarity of these two bottles would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, my father's collection included a number of other interesting and rare spirits, eg of cognac and various liqueurs, but the above are the only Irish Whiskeys he owned.)

Thanking you in advance,

David
dglassman@bezeqint.net
Attachments
Bushmills Single Malt 1982 for Irish Whiskey Forum.jpg
Bushmills Single Malt 1982 for Irish Whiskey Forum.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 9360 times
Midleton Very Rare 1999 for Irish Whiskey Forum.jpg
Midleton Very Rare 1999 for Irish Whiskey Forum.jpg (116.44 KiB) Viewed 9360 times
DavidG
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 pm

DavidG wrote:The bottles are:
1. Old Bushmills Millennium Single Barrel Single Malt 1982 (Cask No. 18429, Bottle No. 181, 51.6%, 700ml) in its original wood box. (See attached photo.)
Any assistance regarding the background, value and rarity of these two bottles would be greatly appreciated.

A rareish single cask Bushmills probably released in the late 1999 for the Millennium. Value would be €200-250

DavidG wrote:
2. Midleton Very Rare 1999 (40%, 700ml) in its original wood box. (Two bottles, one open and one sealed; see attached photo of the open bottle.)

Unfortunately this is open and has not collectable value. Should still be okay to drink though as the fill level is quite high. I would say either drink it or gift it to someone who would enjoy it. Should still be a a nice smooth whiskey.

A closed Midleton 1999 is probably worth between €220-275

Sorry Misread your post :oops: so updated now
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:08 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Unfortunately this is open and has no collectable value.

IWC, he has two bottles of this - one open, one not open.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 pm

the unopened Midleton worth about 250 euros

welcome to the forum DavidG
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 am

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome and for the helpful input.

Cheers,

David
DavidG
New Spirit

Next

Return to Collectors Corner