NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Feedback

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Feedback

Postby DavidH » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

If you have questions about the forum, or suggestions for its improvement, please let us know here.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Feedback

Postby shanel23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 am

Hi David,

One suggestion

when you follow a link ( in a post ) could it open another web session rather than the current way ?
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 am

David,

Firstly credit where it's due - a lot of work has been done on this so fair play to those involved.

I would sugest however that the old system was much clearer. Each topic was clearly defined and the general layout offered a broad spectrum of headings which could be used to good effect in finding specific information. Under the current layout, the topics are more vague and you have to go trawling for specific topics.

John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 am

shanel23 wrote:when you follow a link ( in a post ) could it open another web session rather than the current way ?

It probably could but it's not regarded as good practice. At the moment, it's under the user's control - you can hold the Ctrl button while clicking the link and it opens in a new window/tab. The other way, control is taken away from the user and everyone sees new windows whether they want to or not.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

John wrote:I would sugest however that the old system was much clearer. Each topic was clearly defined and the general layout offered a broad spectrum of headings which could be used to good effect in finding specific information. Under the current layout, the topics are more vague and you have to go trawling for specific topics.

Thank you for that. You are not the only one to feel that way. I can offer some justifications for trying this new, simpler structure:
  • We have not managed to attract a critical mass of users. While quite a few IWS members signed up, many never returned. One complaint was that it was too hard to figure out what was going on, where the conversations were. It's telling that there is no discussion here after our monthly tastings. The complexity has now been addressed. We shall see if members are enticed back.
  • More generally, forum software is designed to show current conversations at the top and let older topics fade away. It's not meant as a static repository of information that can be browsed through in a hierarchical fashion. There should be very few "stickies" and plenty of conversations that are "of the moment".
  • For the most part, old threads should be hidden but there is a powerful search function for finding information in those threads should the need arise.
  • In the old structure, even experienced forum users were posting threads in the wrong places. I used to move threads but I don't want spend time on this. The new structure is self-maintaining to a greater degree.
  • I am one of those forum users who always accesses the forum via the "View New Posts" link. I don't even see a difference between the old and new structures. I suggest people make more use of this feature.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:39 pm

DavidH wrote:
shanel23 wrote:when you follow a link ( in a post ) could it open another web session rather than the current way ?

It probably could but it's not regarded as good practice. At the moment, it's under the user's control - you can hold the Ctrl button while clicking the link and it opens in a new window/tab. The other way, control is taken away from the user and everyone sees new windows whether they want to or not.

I would have thought the opposite ... the opening of a new window does not take the user away from the original site which is what most sites strive for and especially on a Forum it is handy to be able to read a link in a seperate window and be able to swap over to make a post about it. Most people I know use multiple windows rather than even the tabs feature as it is easier to use and navigate so I cannot see this as a negative.

Further you'd be amazed at the number of people who are not savy with key short cuts like how to launch a link in a new window.

At the end of the day you want people to remain on your site for as long as possible but if they launch a link and it opens in the current window and then close out of it instead or going back a page we may potentially loose any further interaction if they decide to call it a day rather that going to the bother of signing back in. The majority of sites I know use auto launch for links.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Any respectable book or site dedicated to web usability will explain the very good reasons to leave the choice with the user (example). It's the spammy websites that try to keep their page open at all costs.

As I said, this way the user has the choice (they can right-click on a link and open in a new tab or window if they don't know the Ctrl-click trick). What you want is supported by your browser.

I'll add it as a "tip".
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:48 am

Happy Birthday to the new looking forum!

it is really better looking
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 pm

HI David,

New forum looks great, well done for all the hard work... and my favourite 'view active topics' is working again,

Many thanks
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby John » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi All,

The new (40 shades of green :D )look is good and brings some consistency to the overall website which is great. It might be a good idea to put a 'Home' button on the main forum page, don't see one there at the moment?

Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:54 pm

You can click on the logo to go "Home", but ideally we will have the same left-column menu on the forum pages as there is on the rest of the website. It's on the to do list.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Looks great with the new paint job.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Just a post to get me to #50, to get me out of "New Spirit" into "Quarter Cask" LOL

I'm so proud of myself. Time for a taste!
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby GSC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

The green trim is more than appropriate. Nice format.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IainB » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:45 am

How do I make my name turn green? I fancy a change.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:19 am

IainB wrote:How do I make my name turn green? I fancy a change.

Hi Iain, go into User Control Panel on the top left hand corner of the page and then these will be under usergroups ... Ive now created few colours you can play with. Have fun :thumbsup: They come under Non-memberships but you can just ignore that.

ANy issues letf me know
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby bredman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:18 pm

IWC, i just changed usergroup, but the colour hasn't altered. Can you make me pink please. :D

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Not sure why it did not take effect ... I think I did not set up the groups properly but Now sorted ...

... and I have also greened you Iain ;) .

If people want to play around and see if it works let me know how it goes :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby bredman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

Thats great, i really look good in pink....did i say that out loud ? :shock: :oops: :lol:

IWC, for what it's worth i tried to change usergroup ( just to see if it worked ), and it didn't work. I've noticed on other forums that the Admin always has to change the colours for some reason.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:31 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Not sure why it did not take effect ... I think I did not set up the groups properly but Now sorted ...

... and I have also greened you Iain ;) .

If people want to play around and see if it works let me know how it goes :thumbsup:

Thanks IWC.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Dec » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Well after a year or so being involved in the society (by that I mean drinking at the events) I have just started posting comments today ..

So I guess I must have sub-consciously liked the difference :thumbsup:
Dec
New Spirit

Postby GSC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Last few times I logged in, after one try, I'm sent to a page that says I've used too many attempts to log in. I have to put in my name, my password, and the number-letter combo in the box.

One attempt is too many? The admins might want to check this out.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby bredman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 pm

I heard on another forum that this is spammers attempting to get in through guessing your password. Just make sure your password isn't easy to guess.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 am

The number letter code combo is to prove your human :D , that extra layer of security is their to prevent webcrawlers accessing the forum features.

Only registered members can post on the forum and this is to prevent spammers and trollers.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 am

bredman wrote:I heard on another forum that this is spammers attempting to get in through guessing your password. Just make sure your password isn't easy to guess.

Spot on, this has been happening regularly to our member and so far no one has had their accounts hacked.

I had to delete an account yesterday as they had spammed a dating site here which could as easily be a dodgy site. If people see anything other than links to whiskey related sites please treat with caution.

Please review your passwords if you feel they are light.

Best to at least have a mix of letters and numerals but try not to use obvious dates.

Strong passwords should contain at least 3 different character types with at least 8 characters of either letters, capital letters, numbers and other characters (i.e.hash marks, cash symbols etc)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introduction