NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the introduction Joel, your a well seasoned forum member already :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 am

Joel1802 wrote:My favourite everyday Irish Whisky is Powers John's Lane Release, best I've had so far is the Willie Napier closley followed by Bow Street Redbreast.

Welcome Joel.

I'm love my PPS but have never tried the Willie Napier. The Power's John's lane is awesome stuff, is it difficult to get over there?

I look forward to your continued contributions.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:56 am

good_whiskey_hunting wrote:Welcome Joel.

I'm love my PPS but have never tried the Willie Napier. The Power's John's lane is awesome stuff, is it difficult to get over there?

I look forward to your continued contributions.

Thanks, I added tasting notes for the Willie Napier, for what they're worth. They make sence to me at any rate. The John's lane is not available here, I order it online.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:57 am

[quote="DavidH
Hi Joel! Good to have you around. They all sound like perfect topics for discussing over a whiskey. I'm on something of a WWII obsession myself at the moment.[/quote]

What's you focus right now (WW2)?
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Joel1802 wrote:What's you focus right now (WW2)?

The activities at Bletchley Park, in particular. I have visited there many times over the last couple of years and have been fortunate to meet some people who worked there during the war. I do like to hear personal experiences because that period is slipping out of living memory but it's a time that shouldn't be forgotten. I met a veteran of the Battle of Britain and the Dambusters Squadron recently too.

Aside from that I'm reading Gitta Sereny's biography of Albert Speer which is one of the most remarkable books I've ever read. I think she has got as close to the thinking of her subject as any biographer can.

Any favourite periods of military history yourself?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm a bit of a nomad, I've just finishing up Belfast's Unholy War: the Troubles of the 1920s (I suppose that makes it para-military history). Generally the world wars get about half of my attention. I had a wonderful conversation with a chap who spent WW2 in corvettes in the North Atlantic about a year ago. Used to share a pew with a D-Day vet too (Juno), but he died almost exactly three years ago.

I've never managed to get to Bletchly, though I have a suspicion my great Grandfather may have has some involvement. He was a technician for Post Office phones and couldn't talk about his war work before he died in the '70s. I've wondered for some time if he was one of the ones drafted into Bletchly. That said I suppose there are many things such a tech might have been doing, but he did spend some time in the right area...
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Joel1802 wrote:I've never managed to get to Bletchly, though I have a suspicion my great Grandfather may have has some involvement. He was a technician for Post Office phones and couldn't talk about his war work before he died in the '70s. I've wondered for some time if he was one of the ones drafted into Bletchly. That said I suppose there are many things such a tech might have been doing, but he did spend some time in the right area...

That's very interesting, and it certainly fits with Bletchley. They had GPO workers on site and off (Dollis Hill was one GPO location) constructing machines from telephone exchange parts, including the world's first computer.

There is a partial list of people who worked at BP here but that mightn't quite cover GPO personnel. Otherwise you could try contacting BT or Royal Mail to see what records they have kept.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 am

He's not on the list, but you may have just given me the nudge I need to start asking questions! I do know the man in question told a porky about his year of birth in 1914 and went on to serve in a minesweeper in the Dardanelles in the first war.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Welcome Joel!! It's nice to see a fellow Canadian active on the forum. If you're ever in southern Ontario between London and Toronto, let me know and we can try to get together. The LCBO is working on boosting their Irish whiskey offerings, though some of the current "hot" bottles (Redbreast 12 CS, Yellow Spot, Powers John's Lane, etc.) haven't made it here yet. I'm waiting to have the LCBO re-stock the Jameson 18 so that I can pick up a bottle. Generally, I have found Canadian and US retailers to have better pricing of Irish bottles than Ireland does! :?

Here's the current LCBO offerings if your travels ever bring you this way:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?STOCK_TYPE_NAME=All&ITEM_NAME=&KEYWORDS=&ITEM_NUMBER=&productListingType=&LIQUOR_TYPE_SHORT_=Spirits&CATEGORY_NAME=Whisky%2FWhiskey&SUB_CATEGORY_NAME=Irish&PRODUCING_CNAME=*&PRODUCING_SUBREGION_N=&PRODUCING_REGION_N=*&UNIT_VOLUME=*&SELLING_PRICE=*&LTO_SALES_CODE=&VQA_CODE=&KOSHER_CODE=&VINTAGES_CODE=&VALUE_ADD_SALES_CO=&AIR_MILES_SALES_CO=&SWEETNESS_DESCRIPTOR=&VARIETAL_NAME=&WINE_STYLE=&language=EN&style=+LCBO.css&page=1&action=result&sort=sortedName&order=1&resultsPerPage=50

Sorry for the long link... :oops:
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Many moons ago I lived in Guelph. I was much, much shorter then. I'm glad to see the BC price on Redbreast isn't wildly out of step -we're at $56. Normally BC is $10+
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Joel1802 wrote:Many moons ago I lived in Guelph. I was much, much shorter then. I'm glad to see the BC price on Redbreast isn't wildly out of step -we're at $56. Normally BC is $10+

The LCBO has recently bumped up the R 12 over the past several months from $47 to $55, but it's still well worth it.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bushmillsrare » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm

hello, i have been reading scotch blogs and now have found yours. i have been drinking bushmills for 30 yrs along with jamesons , but i am learning about better tasting irish whiskeys i hope to learn more by reading your form.
bushmillsrare
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 am

Welcome to the forum. Lots happening in the Irish whiskey of late. I hope you enjoy and part take in the discussions.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 pm

bushmillsrare wrote:hello, i have been reading scotch blogs and now have found yours. i have been drinking bushmills for 30 yrs along with jamesons , but i am learning about better tasting irish whiskeys i hope to learn more by reading your form.

Good to have you on board BushmillsRare, look forward to hearing your thoughts. With 30 years under your belt there is a fair bit of whiskey mileage there so you must know what you like. So hearing what you think of new whiskeys (for you) would be very interesting.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby wjohnd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Greetings;
My knowledge is limited about most brands so i'm here to listen. I live in Vancouver and in Ireland split my time tween
the two. I didnt learn as much as i should have from my father and grand father i regret that now. Good to see
the discussion here, and its great discussion.

William Dunville
wjohnd
New Spirit

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Great to have youon board! I'm drawing a connection with your last name with the Royal Irish Distllery, is this correct?
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby wjohnd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks Joel appreciate the welcome. My father and grandfather are the Belfast
Dunville's.
wjohnd
New Spirit

Postby Joel1802 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am

If your ever in Victoria let me know, I'd love to pick your brain.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Welcome William.
There's lots of threads about Dunville's Whisky recently, I hope they're helpful.

I think Joel will have to set up a Canadian Branch with all the Canadians.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Welcome William,
I'm not back long from Vancouver myself and really love the place. If I were to split my residential time it would certainly be between Ireland and Vancouver also!
Enjoy the forum!
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:33 am

That was such a good question from new member, Michael, that I split it off to a new topic. I hope nobody minds but it might benefit from having some space to discuss.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1796
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 am

DavidH wrote:That was such a good question from new member, Michael, that I split it off to a new topic. I hope nobody minds but it might benefit from having some space to discuss.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1796

Cheers David, I thought the same and was going back to edit my post when I noticed you moved it.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 am

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Welcome William.
There's lots of threads about Dunville's Whisky recently, I hope they're helpful.

I'd hate to see what the transport costs would be to get together regularly! I wouldn't have money left for booze. :o
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Joel1802 wrote:
Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Welcome William.

I'd hate to see what the transport costs would be to get together regularly! I wouldn't have money left for booze. :o

Yes, unfortunately flights from London, ON to BC are not cheap! :shock: Welcome aboard William, from an Eastern (non-Toronto :lol: ) Canadian!
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Just looked it up for fun. They start around $850 return from Victoria, BC to London, Ont. :thumbsdown:

I could fly from Victoria to London Heathrow for the same! Amazing what happens to prices when there is competition...
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction