NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Vaz Te » Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

Thank You Irish Whiskey Chaser
Vaz Te
New Spirit

Postby Fionnán » Tue May 22, 2012 2:02 pm

welcome to the forum Geoff! hope to hear more from you soon
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello all...I became aware of this forum through Adrian's contributions on the WWW forum. I will post as often as possible as I look forward to continuing my general whisk(e)y education, and Irish whiskey in particular.

My Irish whiskey experience is limited to a tasting at a pub in March (Locke's 8 yo, Green Spot, and MVR 2011), Redbreast 12 and Bushmills Black Bush (cabinet bottles...both very enjoyable), and Jamesons 18, Tyrconnell Single Malt, Bushmills 1608, and Tullamore Dew (pours at pubs over the past year or so).

My wishlist includes Jamesons 18, Redbreast and Connemara CS, Connemara Turf Mor, another Bushmills (likely 16 or 21...suggestions/recommendations welcome), and others.

Being in Ontario, Canada, the Irish whiskey selection seems to be improving, though would likely still be considered somewhat limited. The available bottles (and their Can$ prices) in Ontario are here:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?STOCK_TYPE_NAME=All&ITEM_NAME=&KEYWORDS=&ITEM_NUMBER=&productListingType=&LIQUOR_TYPE_SHORT_=Spirits&CATEGORY_NAME=Whisky%2FWhiskey&SUB_CATEGORY_NAME=Irish&PRODUCING_CNAME=*&PRODUCING_REGION_N=*&UNIT_VOLUME=*&SELLING_PRICE=*&LTO_SALES_CODE=N&VQA_CODE=N&KOSHER_CODE=N&VINTAGES_CODE=N&VALUE_ADD_SALES_CO=N&AIR_MILES_SALES_CO=N&SWEETNESS_DESCRIPTOR=&VARIETAL_NAME=&WINE_STYLE=&language=EN&style=+LCBO.css&page=1&action=result&sort=sortedName&order=1&resultsPerPage=50 (sorry it's such a long link...not entirely sure why). :?

Pricing of Irish whiskey actually seems to be reasonable, on par, or (in some cases) cheaper than the US! :o Cross border purchases of Irish whiskey would be limited to those not available in Ontario.

I look forward to meeting you all as time goes on...
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 27, 2012 9:01 am

Many welcomes Pudge hope you can make use of the forum and great to have you on board. Looking forward to your posts. One of the main ideas of the society is to promote Irish Whiskey but we enjoy all types of whiskey or whisky so feel free to talk about anything :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun May 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Welcome Geoff and Pudge72!

I've become a little bit addicted to a show set in Ontario recently - Murdoch Mysteries :-) It's on one of the digital channels here several times a day.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 pm

DavidH wrote:Welcome Geoff and Pudge72!

I've become a little bit addicted to a show set in Ontario recently - Murdoch Mysteries :-) It's on one of the digital channels here several times a day.

Ahhh Yannick Bisson (I think I spelled his name right)...a bit of a heartthrob for my wife...he has also been on 'Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye' and a bunch of CIBC (one of the big 5 banks in Canada) commercials. I haven't seen much of Murdoch, but the couple of episodes that I have caught do seem to be pretty good.

Thank you for the welcoming words! I hope to get comfortable and make a nuisance of myself here! :P
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby naveen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi!

This is Naveen here from India. Well drinking whisky is a a way of life for many of us here... I got introduced to whisky way back when I graduated; started with a brand called Royal Challenge, its a blended whisky, well admired here in India; thereafter had other popular whiskys like Blender's Pride, Signature, Antiquity Blue, Peter Scot... Some time later I got introduced to Scotch Whisky... 1st drink was Jonny Walker Black Label, got to taste many more like, Ballentine's Finest, The Famous Grouse, Black Dog, 100 Pipers, Whithe & Mackey.. the list goes on... but it was only a few years back that I got introduced to Single Malts and yes my idea of whisky completely changed. I must say I have literally fallen in love with the Single Malts... Started with Glenmorangie, then had more like Laphroig, Taliskar, Glenkinchie, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glen Elgin, Cardu and many more... The world of Single Malts is a completely different world, its much more than just a drink... I have had an exposure to quite a few of the amazing single malts from Scotland. What I wish now is to explore the world of Irish Whiskey...

Now that I am here in this forum, I believe I would be able to learn about Irish Whiskey and get started..

Cheers!
naveen
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

Hello Naveen! Hello India!

I hope you find lots of good info here about Irish whiskey, and I hope we learn something about Indian whiskey from you. I have tried one - an Amrut - which was very nice. I think have some competition :-)
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am

Good to have you on board Naveen, I fear Amrut is the only one we really see in Europe but it has impressed many and is a great quality whiskey. Look forward to hear your thoughts om Irish Whiskey but feel fre to talk about Scotch too as we like all whiskey here :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Welcome aboard Naveen! I'm a more recent addition to this forum but have found it very informative in my short time here. The contributors on this forum have been friendly to this Canadian, who is also a relative newbie to Irish whiskey. Bushmills Black Bush provided a nice entry point into (blended) Irish whiskey for myself, which I have since followed with Redbreast 12 (pure pot still). :thumbsup:
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Welcome Naveen

You make great whisky in India too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JakeDPR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 am

Hello folks. I am new to the site, and wanted to introduce myself. Whiskey is my drink of choice, and lately I have been expanding beyond my usual choices of Jameson or Makers Mark. I have had some great bourbons in the last month, now it is time to check out some new Irish Whiskey.

I have had Jameson, Tullamore Dew and Bushmills on many occasions. I plan on grabbing a bottle of Powers tomorrow, and maybe a bottle of Redbreast. I will check the forum for peoples thoughts, and decide!
JakeDPR
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am

Many welcomes Jake and let us know how you get on. Hopefully you will enjoy some new Irish Whiskeys as part of your journey. But we like all whiskey here so feel free to discuss any whiskey you like. The Society is having an American night for this months tasting.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Welcome Jake...are you a 'wheat', 'rye', or 'any of the above' bourbon fan?
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Jeffrey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:40 am

Hello.

I'm Jeff from Florida.

I only discovered whiskey about two years ago. Although bourbon is my drink of choice, I've really enjoyed learning some things about Irish whiskey from this forum and finally decided to register.

With my glass of Jameson 18-year, I say,

"Cheers!"
Jeffrey
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Hello.

I'm Jeff from Florida.

I only discovered whiskey about two years ago. Although bourbon is my drink of choice, I've really enjoyed learning some things about Irish whiskey from this forum and finally decided to register.

With my glass of Jameson 18-year, I say,

"Cheers!"

Welcome to the forum, Jeffrey.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Nice to have you on board Jeff and maybe you can teach us a thing or two about Bourbon :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Welcome aboard Jeff, from a fellow IWS forum newbie! :thumbsup: That Jameson 18 made it onto my wishlist about three months ago when I got to try it at a bar. IIRC, there was some chocolate and fresh fruit notes, including some tropical fruit notes, which made the profile very inviting! :thumbsup:
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby whisky comedian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello I am Alan Anderson, I do a comedy show about whisky and have a blog and video podcasts with famous comedians.

www.whiskycomedian.com

I'm coming to Ireland to do some shows at the end of October* and I'm looking for some info and advice about possible additional venues. I'll post my questions in the relevant place.

Sláinte

*25, 26, 27th October at Galway Comedy Festival.
whisky comedian
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:47 pm

whisky comedian wrote:Hello I am Alan Anderson, I do a comedy show about whisky and have a blog and video podcasts with famous comedians.

http://www.whiskycomedian.com

I'm coming to Ireland to do some shows at the end of October* and I'm looking for some info and advice about possible additional venues. I'll post my questions in the relevant place.

Sláinte

*25, 26, 27th October at Galway Comedy Festival.

Many Welcomes Whisky Comedian, please feel free to ask any question you may have ...

Is it true you had to change you tour To Whisky for Dafties instead of Dummies because of that publication taking umbrage :?

Some people just have no sense of humour ... :P
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby whisky comedian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Many Welcomes Whisky Comedian, please feel free to ask any question you may have ...

Is it true you had to change you tour To Whisky for Dafties instead of Dummies because of that publication taking umbrage :?

Some people just have no sense of humour ... :P

Yes it is true. Originally called 'Whisky Fir Dummies', which as you will all know translates from Scots Gaelic as "Whisky, man pacifier'. ;)

I've grown to like the new name and I think I will be publishing a lot of tongue in cheek "....For Dafties" books.
whisky comedian
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 pm

whisky comedian wrote:
I've grown to like the new name and I think I will be publishing a lot of tongue in cheek "....For Dafties" books.

Excellent come back I must say

and that idea would be icing on the cake ...(or the angles share in a bottle) :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Bradhenry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 am

Hey guys i am Brad henry and new here i love whiskey so much with movies.
Bradhenry
New Spirit

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:28 am

My name is Joel, as you may have guessed. I live in Victoria, British Columbia and serve in the Royal Canadian Navy. I have long been serious about single malt but in the last five years I have started to branch out, largely because of my long- suffering wife. She is an American so I started to pay attention to US whisky more as I spent more time in the USA. I gradually managed to interest her in whisky and she was keen to explore to I introduced her to Irish whisky in the form of Redbreast and in the process was reminded how good it was. That quickly led to a Redbreast addiction (the 12 is the only PPS available in BC). Around that time I was getting tired of single malt as everyone was an "expert" and the prices continued to get more and more silly. I opened a bottle of Willie Napier to celebrate my son's baptism and then got very serious about Irish Whisky. I'm especially interested in the history of it and have done and continue to do a great deal of reading on the subject. I also seek out examples from closed distilleries to both try and stockpile as I did for years with Scotch single malt (and continue to do at a much reduced pace).
I am lucky to have a patient wife who will, at a minimum, pretend to listen to me as I go on about booze. She will also drink it with me which can be a mixed blessing. I also have two very supportive West Highland Terriers who make up my entourage.
When I'm not obsessing about booze, I can shift to military history, steam locomotives, or antique fire arms.

My favourite everyday Irish Whisky is Powers John's Lane Release, best I've had so far is the Willie Napier closley followed by Bow Street Redbreast.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

Joel1802 wrote:When I'm not obsessing about booze, I can shift to military history, steam locomotives, or antique fire arms.

Hi Joel! Good to have you around. They all sound like perfect topics for discussing over a whiskey. I'm on something of a WWII obsession myself at the moment.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction