NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Dram Good Research » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 am

Hi folks. I'm Ally, senior researcher for Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. I'll be here to sniff around for any Irish expressions that I may otherwise have missed - feel free to prod me with suggestions!
Dram Good Research
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 am

Hi Ally

Welcome. Apart from the ones published in the bible, what other ones have you identified so far? That way we could maybe suggest anything that's missing.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Dram Good Research » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 am

Hi John. I'll start a thread next door and all can cast their eyes over what may be missing! Cheers :)
Dram Good Research
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am

Hi Ally, I envy your position. Any vacancies for an assistant? I look forward to your input.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:05 pm

I got an e-mail from an Ally in the whisky exchange the other day. Then there's the Celtic whiskey shop and it's Ally and Al.

It seems to me that to get a job in the broad whiskey industry a good start would be to change your name to Ally.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 pm

IainB wrote:I got an e-mail from an Ally in the whisky exchange the other day. Then there's the Celtic whiskey shop and it's Ally and Al.

It seems to me that to get a job in the broad whiskey industry a good start would be to change your name to Ally.

You looking for a job in the industry ... I shall address you as AllyB hence forth so ...

note: with all these Ally's in the business it is probably important to hang on to the B.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Dram Good Research » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 pm

We're a small team GWH, no room at the moment I'm afraid!

There are at least a half dozen other Alastairs/Alistairs in the realm of Scotch that I liaise with regularly too...sometimes I wonder if I'm just talking to myself? :shock:
Dram Good Research
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
IainB wrote:I got an e-mail from an Ally in the whisky exchange the other day. Then there's the Celtic whiskey shop and it's Ally and Al.

You looking for a job in the industry ... I shall address you as AllyB hence forth so ...

note: with all these Ally's in the business it is probably important to hang on to the B.

So long as it's not G that's fine.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby MyIrishHome » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 pm

My name is Uffe. I'm do like whiskey and then malt whisky and rye whiskey before most else. BUT I do have a love for Ireland and that brought me backa to irish whiskeys that I left a few years ago, when Tyrconnell and Connemara NAS was the most exciting Cooley was selling. New I'm searching around, for the moment I have I bottle of Clontarf Singel Malt open and next is the Redbreast to come.
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby IainB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

Hi Uffe. You're very welcome. Where do you live?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby MyIrishHome » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:24 pm

@IanB I'm from Sweden, Falköping. Geograficly at the moment to say. Born and raised in Simonstorp on the east coast of Sweden but in my heart I'm always on Ireland. :D
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Welcome Uffe great to see you ojn the forum, hope you enjoy posting here. :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby smee » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Happy St Patrick's Day! New member today. Received a bottle of Red Breast 12 this morning as a St Pat's day gift from who is obviously a good friend! Was doing a little research on it and stumbled upon this site.
smee
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too, smee! It's great to have you drop by :thumbsup:
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Lester » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:47 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I joined for two reasons; first, I like Irish whiskey about as well as any whiskey I've tried, and second, I'm about to spend 3 weeks in Ireland which will give me an opportunity to try a lot more varieties than I can find in the Virginia ABC stores. The ABC stores have: Bushmills, Jamesons, Tulemore, Killbeggen, and Irish Manor. I drink a lot of cheap bourbon, Stoli, Gin, not much scotch. Mostly I'm so old that my olfactory senses are pretty well shot and I'm happy with whatever has alcohol in it, but Irish whiskey is my favorite, even though I know nothing about it.
Lester
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 am

Hi Lester, welcome to the forum!

If you are coming to Ireland for a few weeks, perhaps you will have a chance to come along to a society tasing and meet everyone. It's the last Thursday of every month and we post details here:
http://www.irishwhiskeysociety.com/events
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby sligeach » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:10 am

Hello

I'm sligeach and I've joined as I'm interested in gaining more knowledge in Irish spirits beyond my cousin's (RIP - but not from the) poteen.
I enjoy 15-yr. Redbreast. I have been given a bottle of Erin Go Bragh, distilled in 1967, 20-year pot still malt whiskey. I've searched the internet and cannot find it reflected anywhere. On the internet I've run across Erin Go Bragh whiskey, however it is in a different bottle & label than mine. Mine is in a green bottle with a green label (stereotyping?). Can anyone enlighten me as to the Erin Go Bragh whiskey I have? It's a very nice tasking whiskey. I'm looking forward to learning more about the various styles, tastes of Irish whiskey from my colleagues in this forum.
Regards, Sligeach
sligeach
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Sligeach,

welcome to the forum, very rare and interesting bottle your enjoying at the moment.

I'd love if you posted a picture, but I'm guessing your bottle is the following:

Erin Go Bragh Unblended Pot Still Malt Irish Whiskey 20YO bottled by Stuart Macnair & Co, Glasgow for importers John Gross & Co, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Distilled 1967 Bottled 1987 @ 40% abv believed to be from Midleton distillery.

I'd love to know if I have the details correct.

Cheers TWB
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: Erin Go Bragh 20-Year Old Unblended Pot Still Malt

Postby sligeach » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 pm

TWB:

Except for the abv you're correct. The label reads 86 Proof.

Sligeach
sligeach
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:41 pm

sligeach wrote:Hello

I'm sligeach and I've joined as I'm interested in gaining more knowledge in Irish spirits beyond my cousin's (RIP - but not from the) poteen.
I enjoy 15-yr. Redbreast. I have been given a bottle of Erin Go Bragh, distilled in 1967, 20-year pot still malt whiskey. I've searched the internet and cannot find it reflected anywhere. On the internet I've run across Erin Go Bragh whiskey, however it is in a different bottle & label than mine. Mine is in a green bottle with a green label (stereotyping?). Can anyone enlighten me as to the Erin Go Bragh whiskey I have? It's a very nice tasking whiskey. I'm looking forward to learning more about the various styles, tastes of Irish whiskey from my colleagues in this forum.
Regards, Sligeach

Hi Sligeach, Good to see you enjoy the 15 year old Redbreast too. I truly can't get enough of it :)
Welcome.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Meanwhile in Norway » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi all,
I'm Aidan. I'm of Irish descent but have been living and working by the Arctic Circle in Norway since 1991.
I spent my formative years at boarding school in Antrim (Garron Tower) where I was afforded the opportunity to visit to the Bushmill's distillery. This was way back in 84 or 85 and their whiskeys have been my favourites ever since. As is the case with most ex-pats I tend to extoll the virtues of Irish whiskey over their Scottish counterparts. With the number of successful converts I've made over here I should perhaps have been a priest...
I've joined the forum with a very specific purpose/request in mind which I'll post outside the introduction area.
Really looking forward to some constructive feedback from informed forum members in due course.
Meanwhile in Norway
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Warm welcome to sligeach & Meanwhile in Norway great to have 2 more Irish Whiskey fans on board. Looking forward to any contributions ye can make. Hope ye enjoy the forum ... :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TallyB » Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Aiden,

"I spent my formative years at boarding school in Antrim Garron Tower"

Am an old student from there myself.
:D :D :D :D
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby Vaz Te » Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am

Greetings All
I am Geoff a fan of whisky and West Ham. I am a happy man today. I collect and drink whisky and found yor web site recently. I am interested in hearing more about Irish whisky. Whats good to do in Dublin for whisky fans.

Geoff
Vaz Te
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Vaz Te wrote:Greetings All
I am Geoff a fan of whisky and West Ham. I am a happy man today. I collect and drink whisky and found yor web site recently. I am interested in hearing more about Irish whisky. Whats good to do in Dublin for whisky fans.

Geoff

Welcome Geoff, hope you can drop by every so often. I think we have another hammer fan around here somewhere too but he keeps it quite ;) and congrats on getting back to the premiership :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction