NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome Calcy and feel free to get stuck in ... no question is too small fire away.

Enjoy your quest. :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby kinspa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello everybody! I'm also new here!
I started getting interested in whiskey when I visited a local whiskey fair where I was able to taste some whiskeys and I realized there is a different in taste. I got fascinated and finally I'm here ;)
And it's a big wish of mine to visit a distillery! I have seen beer brewerys, but this is totally different :)

I hope to get here some information about different whiskey brands!
kinspa
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi kinspa! Good luck with your exploration of whiskey. We would love to hear how it goes (we like all sorts of whiskey here, not just the Irish sort). Which part of the world do you live in? Any distilleries nearby?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby tomtom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:36 am

I'm Tom and I live in Manchester. I may be of Welsh and Irish (Corcoran) ancestry, but I am English. My knowledge of Scotch whisky is OK. My favourites are Caol Ila 12 - Lagavulin - and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. I knew nothing at all about Irish whiskey. It just never entered my consciousness.

I was in Asda a while back and saw a special offer, Bushmills and Tullamore Dew for £10 a bottle. I thought 'what the hell'. The Tullamore was far too thin for me, but I liked the Bushmills. No depth, but there were, at least, hints of something better. Even at regular price (£17) it was far superior to any household name brands of blended Scotch which sell by the lorryload. Those things put me off drinking whisky for the best part of a decade. I thought all whiskies tasted like petrol. If I'd started off with an Irish whiskey, I might not have had that lost decade.

I came here because I don't know where to move up from the Bushmills and I'm eager to learn. I was fascinated by the history. I had no idea that Irish whiskey was long considered far superior to Scotch and no idea that it disappeared from British/Empire/World markets so very suddenly - allowing the Scots to happily fill the void.

My budget tends to run to a maximum of around £75 for rare treats or £20-£30 for day-to-day drinking. I can't stand mixers and I don't use water or ice either. I like my whisky, armagnac and rum, straight. If anyone knows a good, not too 'head-up-the-a*se' shop with a decent range of Irish whiskey in South Manchester, I'd be grateful to hear about it.
tomtom
New Spirit

Postby TallyB » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Tom. Yuo will get plenty of info here for all sorts of differing tastes.
My personell taste is for sweeter whiskies, Bushmills 12YO, only available
from the distillery or ebay. Another favourate of mine is Jameson Redbreast
which you should be able to buy at Tesco/Asda for about £28.
Hope this helps.

TallyB
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby DavidH » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Hey Tom! We don't have it in Ireland, but Sainsbury's Dun Leire gets good reviews. It's a blend from the Cooley Distillery, which is the one you haven't tried (ie you had Bushmills from Bushmills and Tullamore Dew from Midleton).

For trading up to something a bit special but still a very reasonable price, I suggest Writers Tears.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 pm

the Dun Leire is Single malt, not blend, but i t is really nice for £22
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:12 am

Even better at £15 in Sainsbury's at the moment :lol:
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby tomtom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks for the info. I had a look on the supermarket sites. Glad I did.

Jameson's Redbreast - couldn't find it. Tesco have Jameson's 12 for £23. Asda only appear to do the standard Jameson's blend at £15. Sainsbury's URLs didn't resolve for some reason. So I took screenshots. The Dun Leire? This one?

It's only £15!

Also: Bushmills 10 year old for £23.91 and Bushmills Blackbush for £22.79. Worth a go?

The supermarket choice is dire. I need to spend a while looking through the rest of this site, make some choices and then go find a decent independent shop.

Edit....looks like TheWhiskeyBro has answered the question about the Dun Leire. :lol:
tomtom
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:34 am

varizoltan wrote:the Dun Leire is Single malt, not blend, but i t is really nice for £22

Oops, thanks! I was mixing up Avoca (in Aldi) and Dun Leire. But yes, I still recommend the Dun Leire (or even the Avoca).
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby tomtom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 am

No luck with the Dun Leire, David. Tried two big Sainsbury's branches and one, smaller, 'Local' store. Nothing. I've been here before. Popular offers which sell out and never re-appear.

But I had a chat with someone at work who told me where I could buy some of the Writer's Tears. I did a detour on my way home. I've been sipping it since 9pm. Do I need tell you just how wonderfully right you were? Good man. Thanks David. And the journey into the world of Irish Whiskey begins. :thumbsup:
tomtom
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 am

Is it possible to order bottles at Sainsbury's, tomtom?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby tomtom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:15 am

JohnM wrote:Is it possible to order bottles at Sainsbury's, tomtom?

You know, I never thought of that. I'll try all the Sainsbury's stores on my way home tomorrow. If the shelves are still empty, I'll order a few bottles online.
tomtom
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:13 am

tomtom wrote:But I had a chat with someone at work who told me where I could buy some of the Writer's Tears. I did a detour on my way home. I've been sipping it since 9pm. Do I need tell you just how wonderfully right you were? Good man. Thanks David. And the journey into the world of Irish Whiskey begins. :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you like it! Since you are enjoying the Writers Tears, I think it's worth mentioning you can raise the Irish, earthy pot still character another notch with Powers John's Lane Release. It's a little more expensive but still very good value so perhaps keep it in mind for future consideration.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby tomtom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 am

DavidH...The Dun Leire. 3 cases came in to my nearest big Sainsbury's. That's, what, 18 bottles (six to a case)? I got the last two. Very nicely boxed too. Obviously very, very, popular. I had a small sample just after I got home. I'm a bit lost here. I wasn't expecting what I got. There's smoky coal tar in smell and taste (one reason I love Islay whiskies) that gives way to booze-soaked christmas cake then lots of fruit notes, not all of them sweet. Nice peppery/fizzy finish. This is the best £30 I've spent in ages.

One major caveat. I drank far too much of the WT on Monday night and, for most of yesterday, felt like my head was on sideways. So, right now, I may not have tastebuds I can fully trust. I'll have another go after I've recovered my senses. If I am just as pleased, or even more pleased, I'll order a case for Christmas/New Year before the offer expires on Dec 6.

Thanks again for all the help. Very glad I came here.

Tom

Edited post (Nov 29) - the 'head on sideways' feeling was nothing to do with having had too much of the Writers Tears (I want to put an apostrophe in there somewhere). It was a sign I'd caught whatever bug was doing the rounds. It has been an interesting week but not one I'd wish on anyone else.
tomtom
New Spirit

Postby checkyabadself » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Hello my name is Will. I'm from Cork and have recently, past 2 years or so gotten into whisk(e)y. I'm a fan of all different types so far with no clear favourites to speak of. I've been lurking on this site for a bit and have learned ta lot to date, but hope to broaden my knowledge as well as collection. I really like the site, it seems there is a never ending expanse of whiskies to sample.
checkyabadself
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Fair play Will and thanks for joining us. The more members the better the forum will get... Many welcomes.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:09 am

tomtom wrote:I'm Tom and I live in Manchester. I may be of Welsh and Irish (Corcoran) ancestry, but I am English.

Corcoran was a well known bottlers and minerals maker here too. you'd never know, probably your ancestors made mixers for our whiskeys.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Dennisyx » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:34 pm

HEllo..My name is Dennis and I'm from Milwaukee WI, USA..I'm not a Whiskey drinker but i found this case with a Whisky bottle and six glasses. Can anybody direct me where to find information on this set? I have no idea how old they are, but am guessing from the 50's..

Thank You in advance for your help...
Attachments
Glass set2.JPG
Glass set2.JPG (57.44 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Dennisyx
New Spirit

Postby kellardt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Hello to All,

I'm Kellard, and I'm a Yank. I've been drinking various Irish whiskeys for 20+ years. Started as a Bushmills fan, but after the Jameson's Distillery Taste-Test realized that Powers was for me. (My wife switched from Kentucky bourbon to Jamesons!). I found the site while trying to find out some information on Irish whiskey drinking patterns in Ireland. I imagine I will be back to this site frequently.

If anyone heads to Indianapolis, I can offer some local restaurant recommendations.

Cheers!

Kellard
kellardt
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 am

Welcome to the site, Kellard. Powers is very popular on the forum.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby richie198 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi everyone richie here i am new to the sight
and have only really started tasting whiskey
been drinking it a while :lol: but only really getting
the tastes from it now. :oops:
hope to chat and learn a bit on here to..
richie198
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Welcome Richie great to have a new visitor and don't be shy. Look forward to chatting on line talking about whiskey ... Enjoy
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DBerntsen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

Hello boys and girls. This is Denis from Chicago. I received a very nice bottle of single malt Irish whiskey, and I am interested in its value. It is Bushmills Millennium Malt, Private Cask No. 9, Bottle No. 9/15, distilled in 1975. Any thoughts?
DBerntsen
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 am

Hi and welcome. I'd suggest the best value would be to open and savour the bottle with a few good friends. It's generally a great whiskey.
IainB
Hogshead

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction