NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 pm

D74K wrote:Hey All,

Have put together a nice little collection in that time, mainly from the Cooley distillery, a few Jamesons and Bushmills thrown in there as well. Starting to branch out though with a few rarities as well. Hope to continue adding to my collection and knowledge for many years to come, with all of your help too.

Cheers

Some of us love collecting some of us like lists all love whiskey so feel free to list your collection here

We'd love to see you collection :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby ChristianBay » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi all ! ;)
I'm Christian and I adore whiskey. Would like to be a part of your forum to learn more about types of whiskey.

Cheers
ChristianBay
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Welcome Christian.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 pm

ChristianBay wrote:Hi all ! ;)
I'm Christian and I adore whiskey. Would like to be a part of your forum to learn more about types of whiskey.

Cheers

Just by signing up you are part of it so welcome and feel free to join it.

Good to have you on board :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I feel a few bars of the 'Rare old Mountain Dew' comming on.....
Welcome Christian! :thumbsup:
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby bredman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Welcome Christian.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi to all,
My name is Willie Murphy.I come from that sunniest of counties in the south-east,Wexford. I am impressed with the vast knowledge and expertise on this forum.Thank to the Irish Whiskey Chaser for suggesting i should use it to gain more information.
I've started collecting Whiskey in the last couple of years.
I lived in Germany years ago and was introduced to whiskey there.The Germans are fond of it.the variety was amazing.
Sadly we don't market our finer products here.I became a fan of Jameson Gold,which could not be bought here until a couple of years ago.
At that time i liked both Irish & Scotch(Islay especially) Could not really shine to the Americans.Although the people are grand.;-)
It only since i gave up smoking(about 5 years & 4 stone ago) that I've really started to indulge.From then i have realized that we do indeed produce the finest whiskeys in the world.
I work in a pub in Wexford town.It is really sad to say but the Irish Pub is not a place to get the real good Irish whiskey.We only stock the basics.
There are a few pubs that do have some nice ones but for the main part most don't.
I look forward to reading and perhaps contributing to the knowledge bestowed here.
Last edited by Good Whiskey Hunting on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Welcome on board, while the majority of us enjoy tasting whiskey a few also collect, however even more hoard stashes of the favourites ;)
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Mothrae » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Congrats to Good_Whiskey_Hunting on quitting smoking. Almost 6-1/2 years for me.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby mac the pirate » Mon May 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello to all members, my name is Aiden McCabe and I am really looking forward to learning how to better appreciate whiskey.
I had my first sip of whiskey at age 12 and it was one I sneaked off a table during a family event, it was also my last for another 10 years. I still remember the burn as it passed down my throat and the resulting mess I made all over the table as I threw-up. A hard lesson for a young boy and one that I have never forgotten.
Three years later and I start onboard the M.V. Munster as a galley boy and have a direct introduction to some of the hardest drinking men I have ever seen. These men had sailed all over the world and had experience of some the strongest drink available and because of that were well able to have a drink and work their next watch. It showed me how to take responsibility for myself and the way I treated drink. Over the next 33 years onboard ships and ashore I only drank whiskey for pleasure and anytime I have gotten drunk it was mostly from beer. For years before the ships went dry I would have a bottle of Irish ( Black Bush or Crested Ten) or Scotch in my locker and would have a single glass before turning in after a 12/13 hour watch.
I now collect and drink whiskey for pleasure and still drink beer. So nothing has really changed except I now have a deeper appreciation for whiskey, its history and the process it has to go through to be called whiskey. My own preference now is for single malts such as the Bushmills 16year old but I have a growing appreciation for blended whiskey like the Redbreast 12yo and some of the Japanese blends like the Hibiki 17 or 21yo.
I am not in anyway an expert or very knowledgeable about whiskey but would hope to learn from this forum and the increasing number of whiskey enthusiasts that now share their expertise and knowledge.
regards,
Aiden McCabe.
mac the pirate
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Mon May 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Great intro, Aiden! Welcome to the forum, aaargh! I look forward to hearing more pirate tales of the high seas.

Just a small point: Redbreast is not a blend but the Irish equivalent of a "single malt", namely a "single pot still". Just like a malt, it is entirely made in big copper pot stills. The difference is the use of both unmalted and malted barley.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I suppose the best way to describe Redbreast is that it uses a single 'mashbill' of malted and unmalted (green) barley which gives some lovely spice.

Commonly misunderstood by many, especially our scottish cousins.

Your very welcome Aiden, did I see you were down to go to the Bow Street tasting?

The next events are Whisky Live 14th May (fantastic discount for our members) and American Rye tasting Thursday 26th in Brooks Hotel (booking available shortly)
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby mac the pirate » Mon May 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank you to DavidH and thewhiskeybro for the warm welcome and your answer to my post has already shown me that I have joined the right forum. Thank you again and looking forward to seeing you at the Whiskey Live in two weeks.
regards,

Aiden.
mac the pirate
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Welcome Mac, good to have you on board (excuse the pun ;) )
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby mac the pirate » Wed May 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank you IrishWhiskeyChaser. I joined the forum with the hope, the aim, the intention and the wish to learn about whiskey and first and foremost about Irish whiskey. After only two days of looking through previous posts and blogs and websites such as your own I have gained a bigger appreciation and some understanding of Irish whiskey and how important the industry is to our country.
mac the pirate
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 pm

A BIG welcome Mac

you are the third member from Wicklow town :thumbsup:

we should start a branch here ;)
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Jobuddha » Sun May 22, 2011 2:19 pm

My name is Ken, I live in Bourbon country ( Central Kentucky ). I had always been a stout and ale drinker, but decided to find a spirit I could sit back and relax with. I detest bourbon, american whiskey's, tequila and most rums. I decided to try Scotch ( my first being Famous Grouse), I enjoyed it quite a bit. I eventually moved on to some single malts, then could not go back to blends. Single malts priced what they are cut into my wallet a bit. I decided to try what you might call entry level Irish Whiskey's. Enjoying the vanilla, and caramel tones of some of these brands, I found myself an alternative to go between my single malts with. I have tried many of the brands available to my area of the country. I tend keep either a bottle of Powers or Feckin on hand. There you go guys, that's me.
Jobuddha
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Sun May 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Ken! I hope you find a few more Irish whiskeys from this forum to alternate with your Scotch. I suggest Writers Tears as a flavourful, reasonably-priced whiskey. Should be available in the US. I also sampled Tullamore Dew 12yo recently and was impressed.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 am

Big welcomes to Ken and Nick hope ye find the forum useful. Please feel free to join in or ask questions about anything whisk(e)y related
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Mon May 30, 2011 9:27 am

Goodbye, "Nick"...
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby bvburnes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:43 am

Hello Everybody,

I live in the Western US, and i am here because I enjoy Irish Whiskey. My range of experience is not exhaustive. I generally drink Bushmills "Black Bush". I have tried and enjoyed Red Breast 15 Year, Bushmills 1608.

By far, my favorite is the dram of Bushmills 21 Year Old which my friend bought me a couple weeks ago. I will read the section on creating tasting notes before I try to describe this most excellent Whiskey!

I look forward to getting to know you, and learning more about the admirable Whiskeys of Ireland!

And I promise, I'll get around to trying Jameson too! :)

/BB
bvburnes
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome bvburnes great to have new people here and hope you enjoy the forum.

Blackbush was certainly one of my favourite tipples for years and I still regard it highly.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and feel free to get stuck in.

Remember what you taste in a whiskey is a very personal thing so if you think it is not quite what others think well so be it ... it is still a very valid taste description and worth noting for others. We all taste differently so we will all get different aspects and profiles to the same whiskey which is one of the wonderful quirky delights of tasting whiskey.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

Hi bvburnes! Welcome to the forum.

Bushmills 21yo is a beautiful whiskey, alright. The best in their range, imho.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby wirf93 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Hello everyone!
I am just getting into the whiskey scene. I have been drinking Jameson for a couple of years now, and I am trying to branch out to try some new ones. I just pick up a bottle of Michael Collins 10 years single malt,and found it alittle scotch tasting is that normal? Well I am 32 and live in Nashville Tennessee USA. Looking forward to learning more about this great spirit.
wirf93
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Welcome wirf93 ... welcome wecome welcome ... sorry better stop now as it would be a bit annoying if I typed 100 thousand welcomes ;)

In regards to your Michael Collins ... well it is a single Malt so that maybe where you are getting some similarities. i.e. the malt taste is more to the fore. Where as a lot of the Jamesons are more based on sherry casks and have a good deal of Pot Still as well as grain whiskey which is a different style.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction