NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby bredman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Welcome maltboy, good to see you on this forum.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Carl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:24 am

Greetings from Vancouver!
Never too late in life to discover new avenues of pleasure! So began- at age 61 - my passion for Scotch and Irish Whiskies. A conversation with a friend just before Christmas 2010 convinced me to buy my first single malt. Having done considerable research, I was intrigued by the infamous Laphroaig Quarter Cask. "Not recommended for a novice!" Such proclamations only motivate me to do the opposite. So it was: my first bottle of Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, Laphroaig Quarter Cask. It is now a favourite!
Over the years, I had tried various Scotch whiskies including the Glenlivet single malt, and have had many bottles of Jameson Irish Whiskey, including a Special Reserve 12 year old. But I had never sampled the delights of single malts in earnest. A few months later, I now have several wonderful single malt Scotch whiskies, and am thoroughly enjoying myself.
In the past couple of weeks, I started learning more about Irish whiskies. Wonderful reviews of Bushmills Black Bush, and the added incentive of very reasonable cost tempted me. My first bottle of Black Bush, and my first tasting, took place last Monday, the 31st of January. After my first nosing and first taste, I was in awe. How could a spirit so reasonably priced be so incredibly smooth and delicious!? Normally, I don't drink much during the work week. In this case, I have had at least a few drams every night. The Bushmills Black Bush has become my favourite spirit - bar none, including all single malts and blended whiskies that I have sampled so far. Different moods for different whiskies is the norm for me. One evening, a Highland Park. Next, maybe a Laphroaig. Then, maybe a Glendronach or a Glenfarclas. The one constant for me is the Black Bush. For this one, I am always in the mood. It is the epitome of what I always dreamed a whiskey would be: not harsh, extremely smooth, not too sweet, not too dry, a wonderful syrup like thickness which rolls beautifully around the tongue and about the mouth, and an incredible medium dry finish. Never disappointing in even the slightest way.
Sorry to ramble. This is meant to be an introduction, and not a review. So for now - Good night!
Cheers,
Carl
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
Rosalind Russell
Carl
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum Carl,

i hope you find more info about nice whiskeys here, and try many more excellent Irish whiskey, like Tyrconnell single malt, Powers, Connemara, Midleton, Greenore and so on
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Carl! We hope to have a Canadian night in the Irish Whiskey Society some time.

Black Bush is a good buy, alright. I have a couple of bottles on the shelf too.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby mulltea » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 am

My name is Wally. I enjoy whiskey from Ireland, Canada and Kentucky, USA. I am open to learning about all whiskey around the world, but so far the 3 I listed are the ones that I prefer. My favorite whiskey from college is Jameson Gold. It once retailed in a pot still bottle for around 35 euro. Now it retails under the distinction, Jameson Gold Reserve in a tall bottle. Middleton Very Rare has become my favorite lately, however, I have the rare occasion to enjoy it due to the cost. I will sign on here from time to time over the coming months, hopefully at least once a week. If you have any knowledge to share with me I would greatly appreciate it. I am hungry for information. That is it for now. Slainte, Wally
mulltea
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Wally, hope you can make use of the forums feel free to jump in and ask as many questions as you like ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby bredman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Welcome to the forums Carl and Wally. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby AlanD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Hello, I am Alan Davidson a Scot from Glasgow originally.
I came to (was posted to) Ireland in the late sixties as a young man, since collecting wife, children, debts etc.
I then spent many years in Brussels at the European HQ of my company and travelled extensively in Central + Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa. This gave the opportunity for entertainment at others expense(!) and of course regular access to duty free....so a taste for single malt developed.

I first came across a forum with Bladnoch and was delighted to see Raymond in these introductions. I have been there and met him although he won't remember. It was on that forum when I mentioned I was returning to Ireland with my wife in 2009 that someone suggested I contact this group.

I have attended a few meetings and enjoyed them well, and whilst I recognise that the primary aim is towards Irish rather than Scotch I can live with that and signed up for full membership last month !

There is much expertise and many experts in the group, whereas I am merely a well intentioned amateur. I have a couple of dozen bottles at home and a hogshead of sherry casked Bruichladdich maturing on Islay.

Best wishes to everyone.
AlanD
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi AlanD! Great to see someone from the tastings here. I know we would all love to get more feedback on the forum about the tastings, what could be improved, and what folks would like to see in the future.

I'm like yourself: a well-intentioned amateur. It's true we want to compehensively explore Irish whiskey and we snag the new releases if we can but Scotch is firmly on the agenda too. I'm still overwhelmed by the number and variety of Scottish distilleries so I'm depending on the society to shed some light.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Nice that you could make it Alan and great to have you on board. There will be plenty of variety at the tasting though. out of the 11 meetings we had last year 4 had Scotch content with one solely dedicated to the Islands. We also had 2 nights dedicated to Japanese and American respectively so hopefully plenty of variety.

Bladnoch is a great forum and I must make my way to Bladnoch to hook up with Raymond at some stage too.

So anyway welcome to the gang and make yourself at home.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Selling powers,old comberand bushmills

Postby carolen45 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Hello, I have some whisky for sale, one bottle of Old Comber { boxed } some Bushmills 12 year old Millenium reserve in wooden boxes and some in cardboard boxes also one very old bottle of John Powers it has a cork and the label is in quite good condition for its age, it is Three Swallows and 70% proof. I am in Northern Ireland and can be contacted at carolenewell_6@hotmail.com. Thank you
carolen45
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 am

R1zbear wrote:Hi, I am Julia from USA just join this community need your welcome hope that i ll gain so much from here

Hi Julia,

Welcome, welcome, welcome :D

Quite a few of your American compatriots on here all ready so you'll feel right at home and you never know whom you might bump into ...

Anyway we are here to help so feel free to ask any or as many questions as you like.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby VTPack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tommy and I am from North Carolina over in the States. I have been an Irish Whiskey drinker since before I was legal. I am of Irish and Scottish decent, so naturally I have a love for whiskey, but Irish is by far my favorite. I am mainly a Jameson drinker, or I should say anything from the Midleton Distillery, love Midleton Rare and like Paddy's. Have tried some for all the other Distilleries as well but not really as big of as a fan, Bushmills probably being my least favorite out of what I have tried. Not really bad just not my first choice. Whiskey from the Cooley Distilliery would probably be my second choice.

I have only recently started to collect Whiskey so right now my collection is very small. The two highlights would be a Midleton Very Rare 2007, the year I graduated College and I will be picking up my first bottle of Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve in a couple of weeks. One of the goals of my collection is to eventually get a Midleton Very Rare for certain years in my life, IE 1985 for birth year, 2007 for College Graduation, and then one for the year I get married and have kids, etc.
VTPack
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Welcome Tommy ... some good heritage you have there so you cant loose ... ;)

Welcome to the forum and hopefully we'll see you around.

Hopefully you'll come across a Midleton 1985 ... they do crop up from time to time, keep an eye on ebay.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Horseman, you post has been moved to Swap shop / Buy and Sell in the Whiskey section. Welcome by the way and feel free to join it.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby gandalf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi there I am a blow in from the Boards.ie Beer & Wine & Spirits forum. My name is Paul and even though I am 41 I really only have discovered the joy of single malt particularly peated single malt in recent times primarily because of a close friend introducing me to Laphroaig 10yr which was a revelation to me. So I have started exploring these Whiskys along with Irish ones and at the moment my current prefered tipple is Bowmore 12yr with Black Bush as the preferred Irish Whiskey.

Really enjoying lurking and reading all the threads here and looking forward to discovering all the Whiskeys that are available out there (budget depending of course!). Will try and join up and attend a tasting or two when they happen again in the near future :)
gandalf
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome G and hopefully you can gleam a few bits of knowledge from here ... we still are quite a small community but more the merrier. I got ticked off for putting a link to our site on boards lately which I thought was quite small minded but there you go, so you may not see much of me around boards any more. :cry: :)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby gandalf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Yep they have gotten a bit anal about that recently especially after Daft have gotten a share in the company. I've been on there since the start and have been a moderator in the past. I'd say hang around just don't actively pimp this site. I found here and joined up from clicking through your sig link.

Going away for a few days and will be near Lockes Distillery next week so I'll be dropping in there for the tour next week. Really enjoying my journey into the realm of Whiskey & Whisky and wish I had a little more free cash to sample as far and wide as I can. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
gandalf
New Spirit

Postby matt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Folks,
Matt here, I live near the Rheinfalls in Schaffhausen. I am reading in this Forum for a good while now and found a lot of interesting and helpful information about Irish Whiskey. I am into Whiskey (especially Irish) since about the Year 2003. My favorites are Jameson and Midleton, but I don`t say no to anything coming out of this great Distillery down south. I know ther are a few great Whiskey experts in this Forum so my part will be verry little.
Regards Matt
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Welcome Matt! :thumbsup:
Hope you enjoy your time here!
All the best,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby alparker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Hello,
My name is Al and I call from Cookeville, Tennessee, USA. I've been fond of Irish Whiskeys for some 40 years and still don't know if I have a favorite. My wife & I have visited Ireland several times and love the country and the people, we have friends in County Down and in Dublin. Our favorite stop is Kilarney and the Ring of Kerry, that is truly God's Country.
Well, you know that living in Tennessee is difficult because of all the Jack Daniels folks but I am trying to educate them as quickly as possible.
Happy St. Patricks Day
Al
alparker
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Welcome Al and good to have you on board. Well no matter what you drink you still come from good whiskey stock ;) Hope you can pop in from time to time and best of luck with your Education of the uninitiated :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby D74K » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey All,

Ciaran is my name. I live in Dublin. I work in one of the bigger off license chains in the Dublin area myself, wont drop any names here in case thats frowned upon. Only really started developing an interest in Whiskies in the last 2 or 3 years. Have put together a nice little collection in that time, mainly from the Cooley distillery, a few Jamesons and Bushmills thrown in there as well. Starting to branch out though with a few rarities as well. Hope to continue adding to my collection and knowledge for many years to come, with all of your help too.

Cheers
D74K
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 am

Welcome to the party, Ciaran!

We have a bargains thread. Please feel free to post any whiskey specials your employer has there, if you like. If you are holding any whiskey tasting events, we would love to hear about those too.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby bredman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Welcome to the forum to all the recent new members - Tommy, gandalf, matt, Al, and Ciaran, and anyone else i missed, enjoy. :thumbsup:

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction