NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

coddle recipe

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

coddle recipe

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm

anyone have any good coddle recipes? i found plenty online, but curious if anyone has one handed down from relatives or something. sounds delicious and never tried it before. also, feel free to post any other good irish recipes you have. been really enjoying the cooking lately.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: coddle recipe

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Coddle has always sent shivers up my spine :)

Basically bang saussages rashers and potatoes in to a heavy pot half fill with water and broil .... uuuaaagghhh

Champ is nicer ;)

mashed potatoes but has to be done with butter and milk and add scallions

There is a something from the south west that looks like black pudding called Drisheen

Basically gellied pigs blood. Then cut like black pudding and fried.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Coddle has always sent shivers up my spine :)

Basically bang saussages rashers and potatoes in to a heavy pot half fill with water and broil .... uuuaaagghhh

Champ is nicer ;)

mashed potatoes but has to be done with butter and milk and add scallions

There is a something from the south west that looks like black pudding called Drisheen

Basically gellied pigs blood. Then cut like black pudding and fried.

lol. my wife makes champ sometimes. actually, i might just add the sausages and rashers to that instead, LOL. never heard of drisheen before. i like black pudding so guessing id like that as well
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm

brettie vedder wrote:lol. my wife makes champ sometimes. actually, i might just add the sausages and rashers to that instead, LOL. never heard of drisheen before. i like black pudding so guessing id like that as well

Boiled Sausage :?

It's a mortal sin in my book not to fry or grill a rasher or Sausage ;)

I also feel the same about hot dogs ... :)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:lol. my wife makes champ sometimes. actually, i might just add the sausages and rashers to that instead, LOL. never heard of drisheen before. i like black pudding so guessing id like that as well

Boiled Sausage :?

It's a mortal sin in my book not to fry or grill a rasher or Sausage ;)

I also feel the same about hot dogs ... :)

i hear ya. boiled meat gags me. even bacon and cabbage, i like to fry off the meat real quick to crisp it up. nothing sicker than wet boiled fat. and hot dogs....my primary school used to serve us boiled hot dogs. :thumbsdown:
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby bredman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:21 am

brettie vedder wrote:my primary school used to serve us boiled hot dogs. :thumbsdown:

Mmmm, i assume we can thank the Yanks for this. Hot dogs out of a tin and boiled. ( throwup smilie ). It's only a matter of time before their "spay-on cheese" crosses the water.

You can't not love Champ. I always mashed the spud and onions with milk only, and then served with a generous knob of melting butter on top, and the chopped green spring onion stems on top too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

( do the Irish really use the term scallions? )

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 am

Always known them as scallions I'm afraid ... Spring onions seems to be an UK term.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am

and i call them green onions. i guess thats the yank term :lol:
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Liam Murray » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:23 pm

As a true blue inner-city Dub I can pass on my coddle recipe. For the pot add spuds, water sausage and rashers plus two whole onions, peeled of course. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simir for an hour.This should be done the day before to enhance flavour. Thicken the coddle with some cornflower mixed in milk. This meal was often prepared on a Saturday night and served for breakfast on Sunday morning. It was very very useful for feeding large families, as was the norm in the fifties and sixties growing up. If you must serve mashed potatoes use warm milk to mash them, not cold. There is of course a hight salt and fat content in this meal so be careful. Try this with a glass of greenore 8 yrs old, to counteract the salt.Regards Liam Murray Kilkenny
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Liam Murray wrote:As a true blue inner-city Dub I can pass on my coddle recipe. For the pot add spuds, water sausage and rashers plus two whole onions, peeled of course. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simir for an hour.This should be done the day before to enhance flavour. Thicken the coddle with some cornflower mixed in milk. This meal was often prepared on a Saturday night and served for breakfast on Sunday morning. It was very very useful for feeding large families, as was the norm in the fifties and sixties growing up. If you must serve mashed potatoes use warm milk to mash them, not cold. There is of course a hight salt and fat content in this meal so be careful. Try this with a glass of greenore 8 yrs old, to counteract the salt.Regards Liam Murray Kilkenny

cheers for that liam. made my own variation last night by mashing potatoes with butter, milk, scallions, sausages and streaky bacon. comfort food at its finest
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Do you folks over there add garlic to the spuds? To me, mashed taters with milk, onions, and butter needs garlic to be complete. Delicious.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 pm

GSC wrote:Do you folks over there add garlic to the spuds? To me, mashed taters with milk, onions, and butter needs garlic to be complete. Delicious.

Yes Garlic goes well with spuds ... but my fave mash would be ... milk, butter, cracked pepper, mustard seeds or mixed herbs or both ... yummmmm
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:13 pm

GSC wrote:Do you folks over there add garlic to the spuds? To me, mashed taters with milk, onions, and butter needs garlic to be complete. Delicious.

my wife adds garlic to mash sometimes. very good, but for me, i kind of have to be in the mood for it. it is great with freshly cracked black pepper and good ground sea salt though. and of course, butter and milk. ive known some people to add heavy whipping cream rather than milk
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Have to try it with the heavy whipping cream. Would add a sweetness to it.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Since sour cream is popular on baked potatoes, (along with chives) does anyone use sour cream as a garnish?

Gotta have garlic. Non negotiable.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby GSC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:00 pm

There isn't much that you can't do to a potato. So many good recipes.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:25 pm

GSC wrote:There isn't much that you can't do to a potato. So many good recipes.

agreed. the worlds most versatile food. made corned beef hast last night. was fantastic. 4 chopped potatoes, chopped onion, leftover corned beef, salt, pepper, olive oil, butter. fry together.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else