NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Drunk Driving Penalties

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Drunk Driving Penalties

Postby GSC » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm

Drunk driving is a growing problem. The more the authorities threaten you, the more people get nailed for drunk driving, or being involved in crashes.

I don't believe in driving while impaired, and I've never been stopped or arrested for it.

That said, what are the penalties for drunken / impaired driving where you live?

In my state in the US, first offense is loss of license for six months, assorted fines and surcharges and insurance increases.
Second offense is loss of license for a year, along with the fines and surcharges.
Third offense is loss of license for ten years, or longer, depending upon severity of what you were stopped for (as in, stopped for cause, accident, or other circumstances)
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Re: Drunk Driving Penalties

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:04 pm

In Ireland you can check it the official advice http://drinkaware.ie/index.php?sid=6&pid=18
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Just don't do it.
There's no excuse.

Malty
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:28 am

I feel the same way: "Just don't do it".

I have a CDL (commercial driver's license) and holders of such a ticket are allowed HALF the blood alcohol level of regular drivers. Instead, of being legally drunk at 0.08, someone with a CDL is allowed only 0.04, which is about one drink. Not worth it, even if you live close to the pub.

I see so many people who drink and drive on a regular basis. A few have been caught, and still they drive.

One to ponder: If you are "legally" drunk at a certain level, how is that illegal? You are LEGALLY drunk, right?
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:47 am

GSC wrote:
One to ponder: If you are "legally" drunk at a certain level, how is that illegal? You are LEGALLY drunk, right?

Not sure if there is such a thing as legally drunk over here ... We have public order acts where there are actually laws that make it "Illegal" for people to appear in public under the influence of intoxicating liquour. The only problem with it is that very rarely imposed.

Intoxication in public place.

4.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person to be present in any public place while intoxicated to such an extent as would give rise to a reasonable apprehension that he might endanger himself or any other person in his vicinity.

[GA] (2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100.

[GA] (3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána(Police) suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents, which—

[GA] ( a ) is in the possession, in a place other than a place used as a dwelling, of a person by whom such member suspects the offence to have been committed, and

[GA] ( b ) such member suspects, with reasonable cause, contains an intoxicating substance:

[GA] Provided that, in the application of this subsection to section 5 or 6, any such bottle or container, together with its contents, may only be so seized, obtained or removed where the member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that the bottle or container or its contents, is relevant to the offence under section 5 or 6 which the member suspects is being committed.

[GA] (4) In this section—

[GA] "bottle or container" does not include a bottle or container for a substance which is in the possession of the person concerned for a purpose other than the intoxication of that or any other person;

[GA] "intoxicated" means under the intoxicating influence of any alcoholic drink, drug, solvent or other substance or a combination of substances and cognate words shall be construed accordingly.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Is that what it said on the charge sheet IWC?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm

IainB wrote:Is that what it said on the charge sheet IWC?

Something like that :P ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby GSC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Gardai = a bunch of grumps LOL

Laws are similar here in the US, although most enforcement is for driving under the influence. I had a friend who was stopped - walking home - from a tavern two blocks from his home. He was charged with public intoxication (he admitted he was plowed). He went to court, and explained to the judge that he was walking because he didn't wish to take the chance of driving. Of course he was drunk, that's why he went to the tavern in the first place.

The judge bought his argument. He got a warning to behave himself, but he wasn't cited for public drunkeness.

Score one for the little guy!
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby sidneymax » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:26 am

I see thius topic is quite popular among the site followers! follow http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/drunk-driving-essay and check out an essay about drunk driving!
sidneymax
New Spirit

Postby Digitalpool123 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello guys! Drunk driving is a great problem for today and we shouldn't stay indifferent. Follow the link to read some interesting essay about this problem http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/drunk-driving-essay
Digitalpool123
New Spirit

Postby ssascott » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:50 am

There is no excuse. Looking at the chart, I was surprised to see that someone my size, I'm a big guy, 6' 3", 240 lbs, could basically drink a bottle of wine in an hour and still be legal. A drink at dinner and you should be fine. Beyond that and you need to make other plans!
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby alcoholic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:50 am

alcoholic
New Spirit

Postby edward137 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:23 am

GSC wrote:Drunk driving is a growing problem. The more the authorities threaten you, the more people get nailed for Tennessee online dui classes, or being involved in crashes.

I don't believe in driving while impaired, and I've never been stopped or arrested for it.

That said, what are the penalties for drunken / impaired driving where you live?

In my state in the US, first offense is loss of license for six months, assorted fines and surcharges and insurance increases.
Second offense is loss of license for a year, along with the fines and surcharges.
Third offense is loss of license for ten years, or longer, depending upon severity of what you were stopped for (as in, stopped for cause, accident, or other circumstances)

Hi,
Thanks for such a informative post.........
edward137
New Spirit

Postby Foldin5 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 am

Yeah truly an informative post and I wasn’t aware that rules being somewhat different in Canada than here. I have assisted a DUI attorney Los Angeles for some time, so I know how things really work.
Foldin5
New Spirit

Return to Everything Else