NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Beer Festival

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Beer Festival

Postby JohnM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:42 am

Went to a beer festival thing at the Point last night, run by Deveney's of Dundrum. Anyway, it was very good and I think I saw a few society members there. Porterhouse guys were there, including Oliver Hughes. Asked a guy at the stand about the distillery and he said it's all going ahead and there would be further news shortly...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Beer Festival

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am

Taste any great beers that we should be on the look out for ... ??? Had a La Trappe tripple last night myself. It was a bit to rich for my taste though. La Trappe is the only non Belguim trappist beer producer based in Holland.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 pm

I had lots and lots! Had la Trappe, as it happens. Only a small measure. I'm not overly keen on the beers with high alcoholic strength.

A pale ale from the Carlow Brewing Company was very nice, and I have a few very good Schneider Weiss. One made for the beer festival and one hopped wheat beer.

Also an unfiltered beer from a company I can't remember and lots more - Porterhouse Imperial Stout...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby GSC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Are there microbreweries in Europe and UK like there are in the US? So many new beers here that I don't know what to try. Plus, I'm on low-carb orders from the doctor, so beer drinking is rare for me anymore.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:15 pm

The UK has a big Microbrew scene and up until the last 10 years beer was very much a local thing whether small or large brewerys depending on local population. Of course there were always a few nation wide drinks like we have here.

Belguim has a huge density of local brewerys and I'm not sure if they are even into mass prduced beers that much. They are famed from their strong beers and of course the most famous of these are Trappist and Abbey beers. Seemingly in cities like Bruge they have certain pubs that have hundreds of Belguim beers to chose from. Germany to a lesser extent have local beers too but I have a feeling the Brewerys are bigger and cover bigger areas.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am

Yesterday saw the opening of possibly the most famous beer festival of them all, but there are only 6 breweries represented across 14 'tents' and an expected 6+ million visitors in just over 2 weeks.

Well, it's more of a party really, but a bloomin' big one and to commemmorate the event I took a day off from whisk(e)y last Thursday:
http://www.whisky-emporium.com/Blogs/2010-09-Sept/Blog.htm#Wiesn
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:39 am

Augustiner is my favourite beer too. You can get it in Ireland now, the one you get in Munich, but somehow it's not the same when you're not having it in Munich.

Beer festival is a blast, but you need some stamina. When I was in the Hofbrau tent, more beer was spilled than consumed... Next time I'll go to one of the more sedate tents.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:11 pm

And tent is a bit of an under statement, not 100% sure but I think I remember reading the smallest holds 4000 people :o with some of them having a capacity of nearly 10,000 :shock:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:33 pm

A BIG tent.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:40 pm

JohnM wrote:A BIG tent.

:lol: okay you got me ...

Reminds me of the Rose of Tralee ... the venue for which was called the Dome. For people who only ever watched it on TV for years and then went to the festival one year would of been taken aback to find out it was a ... ermm ... a big tent ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:39 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:And tent is a bit of an under statement, not 100% sure but I think I remember reading the smallest holds 4000 people :o with some of them having a capacity of nearly 10,000 :shock:

The smallest holds around 2000 people, the HB is the biggest and now exceeds 10,000 as it has just over 8000 inside and almost 3000 outside in its 'garden'.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:And tent is a bit of an under statement, not 100% sure but I think I remember reading the smallest holds 4000 people :o with some of them having a capacity of nearly 10,000 :shock:

The smallest holds around 2000 people, the HB is the biggest and now exceeds 10,000 as it has just over 8000 inside and almost 3000 outside in its 'garden'.

Thanks for clarifying ... still pretty impressive though :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Malt-Teaser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 am

JohnM wrote:Augustiner is my favourite beer too. You can get it in Ireland now, the one you get in Munich, but somehow it's not the same when you're not having it in Munich.

Beer festival is a blast, but you need some stamina. When I was in the Hofbrau tent, more beer was spilled than consumed... Next time I'll go to one of the more sedate tents.

John,
do you get the normal 'helles' or the 'Edelstoff" which is also known as 'Export' and is a touch sweeter.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Malty

I get the Helles any time I see it, but it's not often available. The Edelstoff is much more readily available over here, but I've only had it once or twice.

The other day I bought a few bottles of the O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, which I think is lovely.

I never drank the Spaten much when I was in Munich, but now I love it and it's one of the easier ones to get over here. Very easy-drinking.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm

John,
Spaten has lost much of its attraction here since it was taken over by InBev. Unfortunately this takeover also included Franziskaner Weißbier :cry:
I also know a few who claim that since they took over and modified some of the processes, the beer has a tendency to cause upset stomachs and the runs.
Give me Augustiner or Hacker Pschorr anyday.

Every year there are new rumours that InBev want to taken Spaten and Franziskaner away from Munich, but I'm sure Oktoberfest is one of the reasons they stay here as only the 6 central Munich breweries are allowed into the 'fest and it's a licence to print money.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I used to drink a lot of the Franziskaner too - the wheat beer. When I left Munich, I brought a case of it home in a cheap bag I bought by the side of the road. By the time I got home, the handles had broken and the zip had burst. But it was worth it. Now you can get it quite easily over here.

A friend worked in Lowenbrau too and used to bring us back lots of it after work.

I also love the Schneiderweiss (not sure of the spelling). Another favourite of mine.

The Augustiner was sold in the huts on the factory floor during work time when I was employed at VAG in Munich.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 am

There is a Munich by-law that says workers must have access to beer :shock:
In fact, did you realise that beer in Bavaria has a lower rate of tax than anywhere else in Germany :o

Yes, in Bavaria, beer is officially considered lebensmittel (essential or basic food) and is taxed as such.
This all means that most large Munich companies and factories allow their workers access to onsite beer, usually through vending machines on factory floors or actual taps in their canteens.
Where I used to work there were both, although the amount workers were allowed, or supposed, to drink was restricted in more recent times.

I always thought it strange that in the self-service canteen there was a line of the usualy drinks; tea & coffee machines, then coke, fanta, spezi .... etc ... then beer.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else