NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

World Cup 2010

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

World Cup 2010

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Woo hoo ... Summer footballllll ... 8-)

The greatest team event in the world.

Been looking forward to this now for at least a month ;-)

Watching England v USA now and after an excellently worked early goal for England they USA reply with a soft goal and a very bad mistake by Green the England Keeper.

Argentia won 1-0 earlier today but should of won 3 or 4 nil.

Fairly good quality games so far ... long may it stay that way.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby shanel23 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm

I hope they ban those damn vuzula things - really hard to hear the atmosphere in the crowd - spoiling it a bit for me so far :(
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:47 am

Funny you should mention it, I heard a radio report only this morning saying that a number of the TV stations were having a problem with them because viewers were ringing in saying that they were being forced to turn down the volume on the TV sets due to the noise! Also, the French captain complained officially because he was unable to get any sleep because of their use be late-night revellers - so I suppose the 'instruments' aren't all bad :D
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 pm

John wrote:Funny you should mention it, I heard a radio report only this morning saying that a number of the TV stations were having a problem with them because viewers were ringing in saying that they were being forced to turn down the volume on the TV sets due to the noise! Also, the French captain complained officially because he was unable to get any sleep because of their use be late-night revellers - so I suppose the 'instruments' aren't all bad :D
J.

i hear you :D
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm

I say if you can't blow your own trumpet what can you do .... :lol:

Does anybody know actually what they are called???

I was guessing vuvuzeala :?
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm

vuvuzela, makes noise up to 125db, louder than the ref's whistle
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm

I think they're actually the worst thing in the world. I also can't understand how anyone can or would want blow into a tuneless plastic tube for nearly two hours. Drums, songs, chants, songs all gravy, but this stuff puts some of the worst experimental noise music designed to alienate listeners into the shade. It has totally killed my enjoyment and I can't watch the matches.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:54 pm

I know what you mean Cathach, if there was even some form of melody from them you could put up with it, but that singular drone just gets annoying after a while. The World Cup organising committee in South Aftrica have thrown their weight behind them because of the tradition of using them at soccer matches in Africa and to quote their spokesman 'you either love them or hate them'.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Thats gas ... I've been hearing all the negative comments and for once I can't see it. I've watched most of the matches and the comentary comes across loud and clear and the hornets nest just does not bother me. RTE had a shed load of callers complaining about the noise too. I think virtually every broadcaster has had complaints.
All a lot of hot air if you ask me :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:35 am

I know what you mean Adrian, it's a bit like having a meeting and pretty much hearing everything that's being said but with the background noise of a bloke working with a hammer-drill outside!! A South African colleague has informed me that, from the historical perspective, they were used by the Impi (?) who were Zulu warriors before going into battle. A kind of droning war-cry if you will. Probably lulled the enemy into a false sense of security by making them think there was only a soccer match nearby..... ;) :lol:
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Brazil ohhh Brazil ... some wonderful play allright but not exactly setting the World cup on fire and in the end the North Koreans came out best from the game, what a wonderful effort and heart fair play. Totally out classsed yet they still held Brazil to a 2-1 defeat which has to be considered a major result from them :mrgreen:

That first goal was a total fluke too ... I'm convinced ... and just because it was a brazilian loads of people are saying brilliant :roll:

I think they will be my under dog to follow for the remainder of the qualifier round ... anybody know where I can get a Korea DPR shirt :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

here you go Adrian , $35 :

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/ ... hirts.html

i really liked, both south and north Korean team, they were really do their best, so as Japan
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:25 pm

varizoltan wrote:here you go Adrian , $35 :

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/ ... hirts.html

i really liked, both south and north Korean team, they were really do their best, so as Japan

Cheers Z ... not quite though, it was North Korea I was looking for ... I want to become a communist for the world cup ;)

I actually don't think that they can be bought ... that surely would be too capitalistic ;)

However I like the use of the oxymoron of Korea DPR (Democratic Peoples Republic) and the flag on their chest.

Still as you say 2 very honest and hard working teams and actually good to watch their efforts.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:12 pm

what???
Switzerland beat Spain???
i was going to bet 4 : nil to Spain

this world cup brings the most surprise and the least goal as far as i can remember :shock:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:14 pm

anyone have a clue for winner in mind after this first round??
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:22 pm

I named them from day one Argentina but eventhough they played well enough in their first game they huffed and puffed to score goals. Think I'll stick with them to meet Paraguy/Holland in the final.

Totally out there for te other finalists but it is all a bit of fun ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I got given a free bet by a bookie and it went on Brazil and Germany.
I still feel that both are contenders.
On the WC as a whole, does no one else find it a bit disappointing?
Predictably, I'm a bit bah-humbug about it:
http://skinflicks.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... -ever.html
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 pm

I like the bahh - humbug report on the world cup Jim... ;-)

However I think I'd prefer to listen to a vuvuzela rather than hear about the Thierry Henry incident again ...

We blew it way before the play offs and if we were any good we would of qualified straight for the world cup instead of getting pathetic double draws against Montenegro & Bulgaria and we should of beat Italy in Dublin.

Anyway Henry did us a favor ... sure we can't afford to be following our team anyway ;) :P :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Together, Argentina, Italy, Germany and Brazil have won the world cup 14 out of the 18 times it's been played, I think. Likely a winner will come from there.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:59 am

The world needs vuvuzelas.

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.iris ... ociety.com

That's better
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:02 pm

JohnM wrote:The world needs vuvuzelas.

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.iris ... ociety.com

That's better

love it!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

I logged in there a while ago and there is an awful buzzing in my ears ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:11 pm

:shock:

Who do I sue for my hearing loss?

:lol:
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby John » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:44 am

It looks like 'Earl' was right: 'Do bad things and bad things happen'!! An iffy offside first goal and a second one conceeded by way of a penalty, compounded by failing to score any goals themselves in either game. South Africa will be playing for pride in France's final game so they won't have it easy there either. Bit of a nightmare tournament for France all in all.
John
Hogshead

Postby John » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:49 am

Clearly I spoke (i.e. wrote!) WAY too soon on France's World Cup experience. Things seem to be falling apart at the seams over there, Anelka sent home, team refusing to train....

Anyone see the Brazil game last night, glad the majority of them made it off the field alive! :D
John
Hogshead

Next

Return to Everything Else