NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Back to Americay

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Back to Americay

Postby brettie vedder » Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 pm

well folks, its official. i will be moving back to america on june 10th. the economy has officially won the battle. never got to meet any of you, but i enjoyed learning and reading on this forum. i will still be frequenting the site from america and hell, now i can get irish whiskey cheaper! :low blow: going back to the suburbs of philadelphia to live around my parents. not fair on the wife to be working here full time with me doing nothing, so we are just going to start a new life. who knows, maybe we will come back here later in life. right now, its just not feasible for us to be living here. special thanks to adrian who sent me those samples and gave me a lot of info. thanks to him i was guided in the right direction to start up my own collection. i might have to sell the whisk(e)y and if not it will be stashed at my father in laws house for future visits, lol. not sure i can bring open bottles in checked luggage and it will be $$$$ to ship them over. sucksssss
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: back to americay

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat May 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear Brett but "needs must, need does".

Well best of luck to you and you wife and I hope it is a good move for you both. ENjoy your last 2 weeks in Ireland :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Sat May 29, 2010 1:19 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Sorry to hear Brett but "needs must, need does".

Well best of luck to you and you wife and I hope it is a good move for you both. ENjoy your last 2 weeks in Ireland :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers adrian.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Well on the plus side, you can spread the gospel to the US and possibly hook up with some of our enthusiasts over there. The might even be something brewing in the Boston area in the near future. Keep the faith and who knows you could be opening the Philly branch in a couple of short years,
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby brettie vedder » Sat May 29, 2010 8:49 pm

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:Well on the plus side, you can spread the gospel to the US and possibly hook up with some of our enthusiasts over there. The might even be something brewing in the Boston area in the near future. Keep the faith and who knows you could be opening the Philly branch in a couple of short years,

thanks. i have already started spreading the word to folks back home. i have changed over a few scotch drinkers, to irish. my father loves paddys and tullamore dew now, haha. it would be nice to meet up with some folks back home. i think a few even live in PA.....
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm

brettie vedder wrote:... i have changed over a few scotch drinkers, to irish. my father loves paddys and tullamore dew now, haha. it would be nice to meet up with some folks back home. i think a few even live in PA.....

Fair play Brett and it really has to be said that there is no reason why people can't enjoy all types of whiskey. Some Single Malt drinkers can be the most frustrating whisky drinkers in this way. Basically if it is not a single malt they can turn their noses up to it yet they are some amazing high quality blends on the market and a lot of the Irish whiskeys are blends and alot are of an amazingly high quality.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sun May 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Sorry to be losing you, Brett. Hope it all works out in the States.

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Sun May 30, 2010 6:18 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:... i have changed over a few scotch drinkers, to irish. my father loves paddys and tullamore dew now, haha. it would be nice to meet up with some folks back home. i think a few even live in PA.....

Fair play Brett and it really has to be said that there is no reason why people can't enjoy all types of whiskey. Some Single Malt drinkers can be the most frustrating whisky drinkers in this way. Basically if it is not a single malt they can turn their noses up to it yet they are some amazing high quality blends on the market and a lot of the Irish whiskeys are blends and alot are of an amazingly high quality.

my old boss back home was one of those scotch single malt guys. he figured its the best in the world, so why bother with anything else? he always liked glenlivet because it was "smooth and easy to drink." i said if thats what he is after, to try the irish bog standards. now he is in love with powers gold and tullamore dew. he even started a collection and has a tullamore 12yo, clontarf and redbreast. i think he is hooked now! i will spread the word as much as possible. might need to pick me up one of those IWS t-shirts too.... i can't wait to delve into the world of bourbon when i get home. so many good bottles out there to try, and very affordable. irish will always be #1 to me though!
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Sun May 30, 2010 6:18 pm

cheers john
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:25 am

Ireland won't be the same without you. But we'll always have Facebook ;-) Best of luck with the move. Onwards and upwards!
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am

DavidH wrote:Ireland won't be the same without you. But we'll always have Facebook ;-) Best of luck with the move. Onwards and upwards!

cheers david. good point about facebook. maybe i can start up a NORTHEAST american chapter of the irish whiskey society :)
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 am

Hi Brettie,

+1 on the NORTHEAST chapter!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 am

good stuff!
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am

There is a guy in the Boston area looking into this as we speak, don't know if that would suit you guys I could put you in touch with him...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:43 pm

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:There is a guy in the Boston area looking into this as we speak, don't know if that would suit you guys I could put you in touch with him...

boston is closer to six cats than me i believe, lol. might be right in the middle actually
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I'll keep an eye on him. I live about 80 miles north of Philly, in the Pocono area.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Re: Back to Americay

Postby GSC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Add me to the Northeast USA chapter.

You folks over there have plenty of company here. I read somewhere that the Irish are the #2 in number of immigrants here, after the Germans. (That might need to be updated, due to the mass influx of Hispanics). Anyway, there are a lot of Irish here. There is an area of the central New Jersey shore that is called the "Irish Riviera", and the concentration of Irish is greater in this six-town area than even New York City and Boston.

We're in good hands over here.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Welcome GSC ... great to have you on board ... feel free to join in and have the "craic" ;) ... and if you see any German-Americans just tell them they may have the numbers but they have a crap whiskey history ;) Eventhough the Germans do drink a lot of it :shock: What about German-Americans do they drink coupios amounts of whiskey??? ....
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby cathach » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Its true you know, a great grand-uncle of mine in Boston was born and reared there and spoke fluent Gaeilge (Gaelic) as my own uncle found out when he visited in the 70s.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Don't know if Germans drink much whiskey. German spirits are not great (to me). I do respect them for their beer. Can't improve on perfection!

West of where I live was a enclave of Irish coal miners (the story of the Molly Maguires is from this part of the state) and there were small Gaeltachts there, where little if any English was spoken.

GSC is correct about the Irish Riviera on the Jersey Shore. Our cousin lives right in the middle of this area, and there is a huge Irish influence in everything there.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Return to Everything Else