NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

rum

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

rum

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:37 pm

does anyone know any good sippin' rums? thinking about making the transition for the "warmer" months. i know a fair bit about rum. how its made, types, colors, etc.... unfortunately i have not tried that many different types. rum was always a college drink for me. mix with some coke and try to get as drunk as possible. with learning a lot about whisky/whiskey over the last few years, ive decided to branch out to other spirits. i have always heard that mount gay and appleton estate make fantastic sippin rums. if anyone can offer some advice, id appreciate it. also, its driving me nuts...what is the rum you see all the time in pubs here? not bacardi white...the dark one with the black label. cant thin of it and its driving me nuts.

gotta make room for my awesome pirate joke. a pirate walks into a bar and says "arghh maytee. gimme a rum on the rocks." bartender says "sure thing sir. but do you know you have a steering wheel stuck to your pants?" pirate says "arrghhhh i know. its driving me nuts!"

wow, i just realized how bad that was, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: rum

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Hiss hiss ... you heretic ... be gone with your sacrilegious speak on these hallowed forums ;) :lol:

To be quite honest I've found that whiskey is so diverse that I'll probably spend the rest of my life just trying to taste only a precentage of it so have never really given any other spirit any sort of a go. So no idea on rum ... never really had an appeal as I've only had the rubbish you get in the pubs and that is rank to me.

I know you can get many different kinds and aged versions but don't think I am tempted to spend though as spending 40-50 Euro on a good rum is 40-50 Euro being dirverted from the whiskey fund ... so unless I get a few free samples I'll probably not delve into the area.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Hiss hiss ... you heretic ... be gone with your sacrilegious speak on these hallowed forums ;) :lol:

To be quite honest I've found that whiskey is so diverse that I'll probably spend the rest of my life just trying to taste only a precentage of it so have never really given any other spirit any sort of a go. So no idea on rum ... never really had an appeal as I've only had the rubbish you get in the pubs and that is rank to me.

I know you can get many different kinds and aged versions but don't think I am tempted to spend though as spending 40-50 Euro on a good rum is 40-50 Euro being dirverted from the whiskey fund ... so unless I get a few free samples I'll probably not delve into the area.

all these are good points. for some reason i just think of whisk(e)y as a fall/winter drink. rum reminds me of warmer weather. ill probably just stick with whisk(e)y with the occasional cider on a warm day. some weatherman predicted we will be hitting 35 this summer, so ill probably be drinking a lot of cider
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Liam Murray » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Try Sailor Jerry spiced rum, 40 percent ABV. Should be in CWS and Wine Centre Kilkenny around Euro32.99.
See you at the Pot Still.
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm

brettie vedder wrote:all these are good points. for some reason i just think of whisk(e)y as a fall/winter drink. rum reminds me of warmer weather. ill probably just stick with whisk(e)y with the occasional cider on a warm day. some weatherman predicted we will be hitting 35 this summer, so ill probably be drinking a lot of cider

Has to be cider of beer for a summers days ... never was into spirits as a thirst quencher.

However on a nice summers evening in the back garden after a barbie these is nothing like a Bourbon and ice with a cigar. For some reason I think ice goes really well with bourbon but not really into doing it with other whiskies.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:all these are good points. for some reason i just think of whisk(e)y as a fall/winter drink. rum reminds me of warmer weather. ill probably just stick with whisk(e)y with the occasional cider on a warm day. some weatherman predicted we will be hitting 35 this summer, so ill probably be drinking a lot of cider

Has to be cider of beer for a summers days ... never was into spirits as a thirst quencher.

However on a nice summers evening in the back garden after a barbie these is nothing like a Bourbon and ice with a cigar. For some reason I think ice goes really well with bourbon but not really into doing it with other whiskies.

i need to locate some gluten free beer since i am a genetic nightmare. nothing better than a bulmers with a load of ice on a hot summers day. the pear isnt too bad either.

ill have to try bourbon and ice, although it might be tough. last time i had bourbon (jim beam) i woke up outside my apartment door the next morning with a bag of food laying on me. no idea how i got there. first time i ever puked from being hungover, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:10 am

I've tried a few rums and liked them, but I've always planned on exploring a little further.

I have a Pyrat rhum that's supposed to be very good, but have yet to open it.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Brettie,

Personally I prefer Ron Zacapa - the Centenario XO by choice :D , though the standard expression is also very nice to sip. It is a Guatemalan rum with a fantastic pedigree and has won countless awards for its quality.

It can be difficult to get hold of but worth the effort in my humble opinion!

Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby brettie vedder » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:43 pm

thanks guys. i will look into these rums. its sad, but my experience with rum is only with standards to sub-pars. i like to give everything a chance and branch out to learn more. although, i dont think i will be giving vodka a chance. i find it to be nauseating, but thats just my opinion. would be nice to get into some nice gins too. always liked the gin and tonics and martinis. now im really getting off topic, hahahah
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Michael Foggarty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Appleton V/X is my sipping rum, if im flush i go with their 12 year old "extra". When they took me out to Jamaica i tried Appleton Legacy, which was one of the best spirits i have ever tasted sadly there have only ever been 4 bottles of this in Ireland and as a far as im aware i have the only unopened bottle out of the 4.

Other rum to try would be Flor de Cana theres a 4 and 5 year old which are good value and a 12 and 18 year old, the 12 is the best out of the range in my opinion.

For a bit of rum agrocole try Clement Rhum.

Element 8 and Angustora are pretty decent .

For Demarrara rum try El Dorado.

And if you want to help the people of Haiti out, go for Barbancourt, which offers good value for aged rum

Avaoid Goslings "Bermuda" rum, they dont make rum in Bermuda !!!

All thi talk of rum has me thirsty im of for one now!
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:Appleton V/X is my sipping rum, if im flush i go with their 12 year old "extra". When they took me out to Jamaica i tried Appleton Legacy, which was one of the best spirits i have ever tasted sadly there have only ever been 4 bottles of this in Ireland and as a far as im aware i have the only unopened bottle out of the 4.

Other rum to try would be Flor de Cana theres a 4 and 5 year old which are good value and a 12 and 18 year old, the 12 is the best out of the range in my opinion.

For a bit of rum agrocole try Clement Rhum.

Element 8 and Angustora are pretty decent .

For Demarrara rum try El Dorado.

And if you want to help the people of Haiti out, go for Barbancourt, which offers good value for aged rum

Avaoid Goslings "Bermuda" rum, they dont make rum in Bermuda !!!

All thi talk of rum has me thirsty im of for one now!

thanks for the info michael. i will keep all that in mind.

wow, thats interesting about the goslings. my parents went to bermuda about 15 years ago and raved over goslings rum and dark and stormy mixed drinks. i had no idea...what a scam. now im p****d, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:27 pm

I don't know if this is available over there, but there's a delicious rum here in the US called Banker's Rum. Not spiced or anything exotic, it just tastes great. My father enjoyed it, either with Coke or straight up.

I'm not really into white water, but I've had rum mixed into a regular (milk and sugar) coffee. Really great taste!
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Mothrae wrote:I don't know if this is available over there, but there's a delicious rum here in the US called Banker's Rum. Not spiced or anything exotic, it just tastes great. My father enjoyed it, either with Coke or straight up.

I'm not really into white water, but I've had rum mixed into a regular (milk and sugar) coffee. Really great taste!

are you talking about bankers club rum? i hope not because that stuff is god awful, lol. anything bankers club is like $7 for a fifth.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:24 pm

As I remember it, the brand was just "Bankers". The family went to dinner and my Dad ordered a rum & Coke, and he was served this. We all tasted it, it was delicious. I don't remember it being called "Banker's Club". I recall it was hard to find, a wanted to buy some for him as a gift and I couldn't find it.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Mothrae wrote:As I remember it, the brand was just "Bankers". The family went to dinner and my Dad ordered a rum & Coke, and he was served this. We all tasted it, it was delicious. I don't remember it being called "Banker's Club". I recall it was hard to find, a wanted to buy some for him as a gift and I couldn't find it.

did it look like any of these?

http://www.lairdandcompany.com/images/BankersClub2.jpg
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Michael Foggarty » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 am

I couldnt help myself after all that rum talk, i opened the bottle of Appleton Legacy what a Joy (spence!)

Brettie i can send you a sample if you pm me your details.

Joy Spence is the master distller so pardon the pun earlier.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:I couldnt help myself after all that rum talk, i opened the bottle of Appleton Legacy what a Joy (spence!)

Brettie i can send you a sample if you pm me your details.

Joy Spence is the master distller so pardon the pun earlier.

nice one michael. i will PM you ASAP. ive always wanted to try any kind of appleton rum.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby cathach » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Another decent rum is Pampero aniversario. But its quite dear, get it on the Continent if you can. Lovely sort of coffee and toffee flavours. However I find rum gives me a terrible headache the next day.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 pm

cathach wrote:Another decent rum is Pampero aniversario. But its quite dear, get it on the Continent if you can. Lovely sort of coffee and toffee flavours. However I find rum gives me a terrible headache the next day.

yea, i remember getting bad headaches from it too. i think its the sugar content from the sugar cane. i know if i have a lot of cider, it wrecks me the next day because of the sugar
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 pm

brettie vedder wrote:
Mothrae wrote:As I remember it, the brand was just "Bankers". The family went to dinner and my Dad ordered a rum & Coke, and he was served this. We all tasted it, it was delicious. I don't remember it being called "Banker's Club". I recall it was hard to find, a wanted to buy some for him as a gift and I couldn't find it.

I don't recall any of these labels. It's possible, I guess.

Laird is a re-bottler, and bottles and labels for stores and other companies, such as Banker's Club. They receive shipping containers of assorted liquor from around the world. I've been to their distillery, where they make this unique whiskey called Laird's Apple Jack, unavailable in most of the US, a local product sold along the East Coast, mostly in New Jersey, their home state.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Mothrae wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:

I don't recall any of these labels. It's possible, I guess.

Laird is a re-bottler, and bottles and labels for stores and other companies, such as Banker's Club. They receive shipping containers of assorted liquor from around the world. I've been to their distillery, where they make this unique whiskey called Laird's Apple Jack, unavailable in most of the US, a local product sold along the East Coast, mostly in New Jersey, their home state.

i actually have a bottle of laird's applejack in my possession. i used to drink it all the time in america and got my parents to bring me a bottle at christmas. its actually an apple brandy, not whiskey. it was created by the laird family back in the 1600's i believe. made famous by george washington during the revolutionary war because he asked the laird family for the recipe so he could give it to the soldiers at valley forge. at least thats what the bottle says, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Talking of the big GW I believe they are trying to rebuild his whiskey distillery as both a tourist attraction and a going concern. He must of been a great president if he had his own distillery :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Talking of the big GW I believe they are trying to rebuild his whiskey distillery as both a tourist attraction and a going concern. He must of been a great president if he had his own distillery :thumbsup:

thats is awesome...just got done reading about it. GW was a legend. i wish him, john adams and thomas jefferson were still leading america...
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 pm

brettie vedder wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Talking of the big GW I believe they are trying to rebuild his whiskey distillery as both a tourist attraction and a going concern. He must of been a great president if he had his own distillery :thumbsup:

thats is awesome...just got done reading about it. GW was a legend. i wish him, john adams and thomas jefferson were still leading america...

So do we!!!
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Return to Everything Else