NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

A different type of tasting

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

A different type of tasting

Postby Michael Foggarty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:56 am

Myself and some associates are looking into a different aproach to tastings, recently we conducted a beer and coffee tasting, we had people from the ICB( Irish Craft Brewers) and the Irish Barista Champion involved. Now we want to add whiskey to the mix. Our planning is in the early stages but i would like to know your thoughts on this.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Re: A different type of tasting

Postby Mothrae » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 pm

This sounds like a great idea. Each taste would cancel the one before, and you could add pastries, or maybe cheeses to the menu. Make it high end and charge a tidy amount to keep the riff-raff out LOL
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:45 am

Anything that expands people's knowledge of what their own tastebuds are capable of sounds good to me.
I'd also be a bit concerned about contrary tastes lingering on the palate. I would imagine that most decent coffees would severely impact on most palates' abilities to discern the more subtle taste variations in good beers.
But I'm a nerd about that sort of stuff.
If you're putting a good tasting together for people and they're enjoying it and learning something, I'm all for it.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Mothrae » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm

On this side of the Atlantic, wine tastings are huge and usually sell out. Something recent are micro-brewery beer competitions-tastings, which are also extremely popular. Adding a combination of tastes, such as the beer-coffee-whiskey tastings would be well-received over here. Also could generate some nice income if hosted by a charity or non-profit group.

Go for it!

Gleanntan ni Chelleigh
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Return to Everything Else