NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

YouTube music

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

YouTube music

Postby DavidH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm always looking for great music so let's have some links to your favourite songs/instrumentals on YouTube. Links are mandatory! (No point reading about music, right ;) ?) Comments on anything special worth noting about the performance are much appreciated too.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: YouTube music

Postby DavidH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Who doesn't like Booker T & The MGs? Here they are playing live in Norway in 1967. Groovy, man.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29 pm

if you liked the above you may like this. Its a 1978 version of Link Wray and the wonderfully eerie 'Rumble'.

He lost a lung due to pneumonia and this resulted in what is now regarded as the classic rock'n'roll slouch. A lot of other guys playing around this time copied his pose.

the original tune is from 1956, but I couldn't find a decent rip of the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUHz0i8_ziA
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:32 pm

More groovy stuff

Some Tom Waits

Grooveshark is an excellent music website, by the way...

Rolling Stones
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 pm

JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:29 am

cathach wrote:if you liked the above you may like this. Its a 1978 version of Link Wray and the wonderfully eerie 'Rumble'.

That's a familiar piece but I never knew the name of the artist. I found the original track on Grooveshark that JohnM recommended. I need to create an account there to get the actual link though.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:34 am

Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:48 am

these are Hungarian gipsys in the states

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kl_HSXn ... re=related
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Silly but funny if you get what I mean ... A good parody :thumbsup:

I like the nod to Jethro Tull at the end

Excellent early Stones 8-)

Keeping to the British invasion theme ...

Fleetwood Mac
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Okay so for some real blues ...

but have you got the blues ...

Let Howlin Wolf explain to you whether you do or not ;)

And real old school

Robert Johnson

Johnson as legend would have it is the original of the species and sold his soul to the Devil to become a famous musician. This is where the crossroads legend started. More than lightly it was self promoted to create an image that made him famous which was probably the aim. This was helped by the fact he wrote a lot about the devil. So in a sense maybe it is true ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Peter Green used to play in Ireland a lot when he came back. Think he gave up guitar for years and years. Bluesbreakers had some great stuff, both with him and with Clapton. Prefer Green to Clapton myself.

Another great guitarist John Martyn

I love Jethro Tull too. Ian Anderson was the worst lip syncer of all time.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm

JohnM wrote:Peter Green used to play in Ireland a lot when he came back. Think he gave up guitar for years and years. Bluesbreakers had some great stuff, both with him and with Clapton. Prefer Green to Clapton myself.

We'll just say he left the room for a while ;-)

Personally I'd rate Green over Clapton

Saw Green last year in Limerick ... the only Mac tune he played was Albatros the rest were all really old style blues stuff. He does not have the skill he used to but still great ... very enjoyable night.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
JohnM wrote:Peter Green used to play in Ireland a lot when he came back. Think he gave up guitar for years and years. Bluesbreakers had some great stuff, both with him and with Clapton. Prefer Green to Clapton myself.

We'll just say he left the room for a while ;-)

Personally I'd rate Green over Clapton

Saw Green last year in Limerick ... the only Mac tune he played was Albatros the rest were all really old style blues stuff. He does not have the skill he used to but still great ... very enjoyable night.

When I was learning guitar I listened to both of these guys a lot, and thinking about it over the years I wouldn't necessarily put one over the other. They have very very different styles, despite that fact that they both followed what you might call the same tradition. Sometimes prefering one to the other can be a matter of preferring style to say some notion of technical ability or "soul". It's hard to judge a player in an objective way. For example, there are lots of fantastic singers out there. But if someone with an incredible voice only sings music of a style you don't like then you will not get any enjoyment from it.

Peter Green's style is probably closer in some ways to the Robert Johnson "template" and some of the players like Buddy Guy. He's also a great accoustic player - he recorded an album of Robert Johnson songs a few years back. On the blues stuff with the original Fleetwood Mac he really gives and older style feel to some of the stuff, like "Stop messing round".

Clapton is a very different animal and suffers from the perception (and rightly so in my opinion) that a lot of the material he's done since the early 70's has been, to be frank, somewhat dull. Nevertheless, he was one of the great innovators in terms of the development of the electric guitar sound that evolved in the 60's. As an electirc blues player her takes some elements for Albert King. But at it's best his playing is utterly fantastic with an ability to hit the perfect note on the right occasion. My favourites would be White Room and the Stephen Stills track "Think I'll go back home"

I think trying to compare guitarist can sometimes be like trying to compare an opera singer to a jazz singer. Another case in point would be John Martyn as mentioed by John M. There's another fantastic player with a completely different style. By the way, he was rated as the "best" by Clapton at one point. I spent years learning the stuff Clapton and Green did, but when I came across John Martyn, it was almost like learning the guitar over again. And I can also say that in most company playing "May you never" impresses people more than being able to reproduce the solo from "Black Magic Woman".

Trad is another think entirely - for me that's like a different language - there's some fantastic guitar players out there who sound all the better to me because I haven't a clue what they're up to.

Anyway, just reaslised I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

By the way, just went back to an open Locke's 8yo after 3 years. I don't remember it being this good. I'd only taken about 2 measures before, but this is lovely!!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:44 am

That's quality rambling - I enjoyed reading that.

I only really like what Clapton did with Cream and the Blues Breakers. Not much of a fan of anything else.

I also think Richard Tompson is a great guitarist. i prefer his guitar to his voice. And our own Rory Gallagher.

And I always liked Friday Night in San Fransisco, even if it is a little show-offy on the part of the performers. Always liked John McLoughlan. I always thought all three of them (paco de lucia, al di meola) played on this tune, but I only see two in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ106b5w
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am

This is my first cousin, Conor Keane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnTlUbk5Xo
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:02 am

Richard Thompson! Another great example - I actualy thought about him halfway through the ramble, accidently deleted half of what I'd written then started over and forgot all about him. And as for Rory, that goes without saying, another unique voice.

Actually I think that's the key to all the great guitarists - there's plenty of people who can recreate the sound of someone else but all the greats have that sometimes intangible voice all of their own.

For example, out of all the widely reknowned guitar players Thin Lizzy had over the years, the only one I wanted to play like was Eric Bell.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 am

JohnM wrote:This is my first cousin, Conor Keane...

Bloody hell that's impressive!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 am

Another one I've only just started to listen to is John Fahey.

I heard Thompson on the radio being interviewed and he was playing the guitar all sorts of different ways. It was brilliant. Not just by synthesising sounds, but whatever he was doing, he could make it sound like a bagpipe or a piano or whatever, brilliant.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 am

Sure while we're showing off cousins here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQmz8enuH4

By the way on the subject of Richard Thompson did you ever come across his "1000 years of popular music".

He was asked in the run up to yr 2000, along with lots of others, for his best songs of the millenium. Unlike the rest he decided to submit a list covring about 900 years. It wasn't published but it gave him the idea for a series of concerts covering music from the previous 800 years - not everything is to my taste but it's completely fascinating - it ranges from an 800 yr old song in old english to britney spears.

Well worth a look.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 am

IainB wrote:

Bloody hell that's impressive!

He's very good. Used to be in Four Men and a Dog, I think. It is embarrassing, however, at family get-togethers when his family are all so talented and I have no recognisable talent at all.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 am

So many familiar names from my past coming up here. I was greatly taken by the blues guitar as a young lad but I haven't listened to that genre in years. Does anybody remember Johnny Norris? He used to gig in Dublin and his acoustic blues playing blew me away.

A lot of great finger-pickers come to mind but here's one:
Tommy Emmanuel

My first job was in a supermarket where the same damn tape played on a loop day in day out. There is only one of those tracks that I don't hate to this day. In fact, the more I listened to Stanley Jordan playing Eleanor Rigby, the more I liked it.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:20 am

That is a sweet tune, very nicely played!
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 am

IainB wrote:Sure while we're showing off cousins here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQmz8enuH4

By the way on the subject of Richard Thompson did you ever come across his "1000 years of popular music".

He was asked in the run up to yr 2000, along with lots of others, for his best songs of the millenium. Unlike the rest he decided to submit a list covring about 900 years. It wasn't published but it gave him the idea for a series of concerts covering music from the previous 800 years - not everything is to my taste but it's completely fascinating - it ranges from an 800 yr old song in old english to britney spears.

Well worth a look.

Excellent stuff. Another talented person for me to be jealous of...

I have not heard of that, but I did see a clip of Thompson playing Oops I did it again, so I presume that's from this series of concerts.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:25 am

DavidH wrote:So many familiar names from my past coming up here. I was greatly taken by the blues guitar as a young lad but I haven't listened to that genre in years. Does anybody remember Johnny Norris? He used to gig in Dublin and his acoustic blues playing blew me away.

A lot of great finger-pickers come to mind but here's one:
Tommy Emmanuel

My first job was in a supermarket where the same damn tape played on a loop day in day out. There is only one of those tracks that I don't hate to this day. In fact, the more I listened to Stanley Jordan playing Eleanor Rigby, the more I liked it.

Very good. I like Classical Gas - had never heard of this guitarist, though.

Isn't Classical Gas on some ad at the moment.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Next

Return to Everything Else