NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

EURO2016

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

EURO2016

Postby old bridge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Beating Italy when it counts, impressive! bd) bd) bd)
old bridge
New Spirit

Re: EURO2016

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 am

Yes indeed, thanks a million ....

An amazing result for our little nation. Italy put out a second string team but you would of still thought that they would have had some sort of quality and fight but luckily for us they did not seem to be able to get to grips with the game at all. They were typically tough and lived on the edge (could of conceded at least 1 peno) but they never posed much of a challenge to the fighting Irish. I can honestly say I haven't seen such a brilliant performance by an Irish Team in a long time when it really was needed. The Italians were very poor and we bossed and harried them all night, we even played good football ;) :lol:

But I thought we were sunk when Wes Hoolahan went clear through on goal in the 83rd minute and could not overly trouble the keep with a poorly placed shot. However literally a minute later he was on the ball again with a beauty of a cross to the man of the night Robbie Brady and the fans went wild ... It was wonderful to see the emotion on his face.

Great night and great game and for once not a game that people can say we were lucky in.

Olé, olé olé olé
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby ridge004 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Has been a delight in the US to watch both Irish teams in the Cup. I head to Italy on Monday, and it would be a pleasure to talk smack to the Italians while having a few beverages in, say, the Scholar's Lounge in Rome for the duration of the tournament.
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01 am

We can't complain and even though we were not up to the challenge yesterday at least we gave them a big fright and made them work for there win. Could have even gabbed an equaliser at the end if we had a bit more guile, craft and time. Given the disappointments of the first 2 games at least we stood up for the second two and some of our fringe players came of age. We can be proud of our gallant men in Green because on reflection for such a small country we totally over achieved and same can be said for Norn Iron who too had a wonderful games. In general it has been a good Euro's and hopefully we will continue to see some great and exciting games. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Henni » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Sadly Ireland is out. :(

But what´s your favorite now?
Wales? Protugal? France? Germany?

What do you like to see for final?
Or don´t you watch anymore?
Henni
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

No sure Portugal deserve to go any further as they still have not showed a decent performance yet but that may be the danger. Wales on the other hand have put in a couple great performances to get to the last 4 so would love to see them go the one step further at least but do they have the belief to defeat a mediocre Portugal. France Germany is a flick of the coin. If France's top men all perform I think it will be France's day. On the flip side, Germany have not had a great game yet but they have not had a bad game either and their passing has been their best feature and if France don't turn up I think it will be Germany's day.

I'll call for a Wales v France game for the most exciting Final. Portugal v Germany will be boring affair I feel.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby old bridge » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:47 am

Wales vs Portugal, my hope for the final.

edit: I'm an idiot!!
2nd try: Wales vs France, with Wales the winner.
old bridge
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes, forgot to call the Winner, along with myself i think most of Europe will be shouting for Wales if they get to the Final.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby old bridge » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Well, I liked Portugal winning. Eder reminded me of Eusebio a long time ago.
Celebrating with Redbreast 15yo in Ireland in rain on the north coast.
old bridge
New Spirit

Return to Everything Else