NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

CHRISTMAS SPIRITS

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

CHRISTMAS SPIRITS

Postby rachel lindsay » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

Well what a treat we had last night.
I went along to Michael Lawlors Christmas Spirits night in Against the Grain.
We had Cognac, Armagnac, Grappa, Calvados, Rum and Sloe Gin and also The Orangerie !
The Grappa was superb, Nardini Grappa, it was oak, apples, pears, honey, spicy cinnamon and lemon meringue ( so I believe ) but it was gorgeous. I think you have to go to Italy to get it though.
My favourite of the night was the Calvados XO. Distilled from cider it tasted and smelled like stewed spiced apples and toffee, very Christmassy.
The Dictador 20yo Colombian Rum was sublime, dark brown sugar, maple, toffee, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla and weirdly enough curry ! It was gorgeous. Michael had it flown over specially for the tasting so I'm not sure how available it is.
The Sloe Gin was interesting, Sipsmith Gin infused with Sloes, it was kind of like boiled sweets, cherry and almond, treacley, wuold be a nice dessert tipple.
The two Cognacs were superb. Voyer Napoleon Cognac and Park XO Cognac. very smooth, the Napoleon was peachy and plummy and the Park XO was marzipan and wild blackberries, very sweet and smooth. They are available from the Celtic Whiskey Shop.
As usual Michael was a mind of information and so engaging and witty. It's always worth attending his tasting nights. They never disappoint and I always come away having learned something and having had a lovely evening.
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Re: CHRISTMAS SPIRITS

Postby DavidH » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Yup, what Rachel said :)

I didn't even expect the cognac or rum to appeal to me based on prior experience but I hadn't tried the right ones, it seems. All nine samples had something to offer and at least six of them I'd love to have on my shelf to revisit regularly.

Michael advised us to check out the Dictador rum website, without saying why, specifically. It's not what I imagined from a 100-year old Columbian rum maker. It shares a certain, umm, aesthetic with another marketing campaign noted here recently.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby bredman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 am

I'm glad you like Calvados. Other than whiskey it's the only other tipple i drink. Supermarket calvados can be very good too for the money.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby rachel lindsay » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:04 am

Supermarket Calvados ? Really ? Which one would you recommend trying ?
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Postby bredman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 am

rachel lindsay wrote:Supermarket Calvados ? Really ? Which one would you recommend trying ?

Sainsbury's. They did a 12yo Pays De Age XO that was good value indeed, although i noticed the other day a different label on the 12yo in the branch i was at. I shall grab a bottle (or two) for the coming festive season. :D

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Everything Else