NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

I'm the only one here

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Re: I'm the only one here

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:14 am

This is a sample of what I'm editing right now...

The authors studied the reduction in the linearity of traditional pseudomorphic AlGaAs/InGaAs/AlGaAs high-electron mobility transistors with planar doping in the AlGaAs layers at low temperatures. A modified structure, wherein the planar Si doping layers were positioned inside thin single GaAs quantum wells within the AlGaAs barrier layers, was shown to eliminate this degradation in linearity. Deep-level transient spectroscopy and persistent photocapacitance measurements revealed that the trapping on the DX centres was effectively removed. The linearity enhancements were therefore ascribed to the removal of this trapping. The self-consistent solutions of the Schrodinger and Poisson equations demonstrated that the transfer of the donor electrons into the channel was necessarily identical in the modified and traditional structures.

I need another drink.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 am

No, I've moved on to an old Powers. One of the ones with the black top half of the label. I think I might have got it from JohnM.

In fact I've a couple of questions on this while there's a few of you here.

First of all can anyone remind me when these are from - I've a vague idea it's the 80's.

Secondly and more importantly it also has that different taste that a lot of older, even slightly older, Irish whiskeys have. Now this is a blend which I'm guessing is from the new Midleton. But it's got that same characteristic as some of the whiskeys I've tried from Bow st, Old Midleton, Tullamore and John's lane. And when I say older, I don't necessarily mean aged for longer. But it's very different from current PPS and pot still blends. Why is the modern stuff so different from the produce of the closed distilleries and the older stuff from the new one. Something has fundamentally changed in the was PPS is made. Or, and this goes against everything I think I know about whiskey, is something happening in the bottle over time?

I should probably have posted this on the whiskey section.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:27 am

That bottling was available in the '70s so was probably made in John's Lane.

I'm not sure what gives it its dusty characteristic, but it's common to whiskey of that time in Bow Street, Tullamore, Midleton, John's Lane, Comber (not quite as much)... and so on.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 am

JohnM wrote:That bottling was available in the '70s so was probably made in John's Lane.

I'm not sure what gives it its dusty characteristic, but it's common to whiskey of that time in Bow Street, Tullamore, Midleton, John's Lane, Comber (not quite as much)... and so on.

It's interesting that several old distilleries have something so distinctive in common that doesn't seem to be there now. So if the Powers isn't from New Midleton is there a whiskey from there with the same thing. I think there's a touch of it in the Jameson 15 Millenium. Also the Jameson 1780s with the picture of John Jamesone have it. Any idea when they're from.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 am

The Jameson 15 is said to use a heavier pot still so maybe it's some kind of oil that is present in heavier pot stills. Jameson 15 Millennium would all have been produced in the new Midleton distillery.

It's likely that the older Jameson 1780 contained whiskey from the original distilleries, although I don't know for sure.

The modern production of pure pot still seems very different to the older production.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 am

JohnM wrote:The Jameson 15 is said to use a heavier pot still so maybe it's some kind of oil that is present in heavier pot stills. Jameson 15 Millennium would all have been produced in the new Midleton distillery.

It's likely that the older Jameson 1780 contained whiskey from the original distilleries, although I don't know for sure.

The modern production of pure pot still seems very different to the older production.

And yet Midleton was supposedly designed to reporduce the style of all the distilleries it replaced. It would be interesting if collectively we could pinpoint when the change started to happen.

A mystery!! I feel like I'm in the famous five. Or maybe the Hardy Boys. I want to be Nancy Drew. If David H is still up maybe he can change me again!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 am

Five Go Mad on Pure Pot Still.

I don't think there's much resemblance at all between the new Midleton stuff on the old stuff. The new stuff is very good, I think.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 am

JohnM wrote:Five Go Mad on Pure Pot Still.

I don't think there's much resemblance at all between the new Midleton stuff on the old stuff. The new stuff is very good, I think.

i have to say since i have drinken the Midleton 35 years old from 1967, i prefer the old stuff

even the Midleton 1985 was way better than any of the 95 and after 2000-s
i am getting close to open the 1973 and maybe the 20th anniversary to see how good hey are 8-)
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 am

I didn't mean to suggest the older stuff wasn't great. But the ones you mention are greatly aged. It would be great to taste a similarly aged whiskey from the new Midleton distillery.

I love the old pot stills. It's something that really grows on you.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:59 am

JohnM wrote:Five Go Mad on Pure Pot Still.

The best book Enid Blyton never wrote. I like the sound of that - there's a good comedy sketch in there somewhere. A famous five trip to Ireland that goes horribly horribly wrong!

Personally I think the new stuff is great too - it's just interesting that it's so different.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 am

JohnM wrote:I didn't mean to suggest the older stuff wasn't great. But the ones you mention are greatly aged. It would be great to taste a similarly aged whiskey from the new Midleton distillery.

Not all of them are greatly aged - that blended Powers from the 70's probably isn't that old. And the Jameson 1780 is apparently 12yo. I think something in the production or the type of cask or the blending must have changed.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 am

varizoltan wrote:
i am getting close to open the 1973 and maybe the 20th anniversary to see how good hey are 8-)

If you need a second opinion I'd do it as a personal favour to you!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 am

lucky or not, i am here in Ireland and they are at home in Hungary,
so no joy for tonight

have you tasted them both?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:08 am

IainB wrote:
JohnM wrote:I didn't mean to suggest the older stuff wasn't great. But the ones you mention are greatly aged. It would be great to taste a similarly aged whiskey from the new Midleton distillery.

Not all of them are greatly aged - that blended Powers from the 70's probably isn't that old. And the Jameson 1780 is apparently 12yo. I think something in the production or the type of cask or the blending must have changed.

I mean the ones Zoltan mentioned. I suppose the Midleton 1985 isn't that old, though.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:11 am

I've tasted a different 1973 - the 25 yr old Midleton. It was one of the nicest whiskeys I've had.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:15 am

i had that at Iain's, what a great stuff, but i still like the 1967 better i think, but love to do a side by side of the 2
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:22 am

Sorry John, reading back it's pretty obvious you were replying to Z.

Zoltan,I've only tried that 1973 I had with you. I've a bottle of the 1967 unopened. And I've tried a Dungourney at some point.

Anyways, just realised what time it is! :o Goodnight all. :thumbsup:
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 am

Ask Jeeves [bot], MSN [bot], Google [bot] and Yahoo [bot] have joined us.

Ask Jeeves [bot], what first got you into Irish whiskey?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 am

IainB wrote:Sorry John, reading back it's pretty obvious you were replying to Z.

Zoltan,I've only tried that 1973 I had with you. I've a bottle of the 1967 unopened. And I've tried a Dungourney at some point.

Anyways, just realised what time it is! :o Goodnight all. :thumbsup:

Night. I've still work to do. Moved on to a Highland Park 21.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:26 am

JohnM wrote:Ask Jeeves [bot], MSN [bot], Google [bot] and Yahoo [bot] have joined us.

Ask Jeeves [bot], what first got you into Irish whiskey?

they love pure pot still!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 am

i'm the only one here
so i am going to bed
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 am

A good idea. Good night.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 am

I spotted an error in that passage you quoted, JohnM. It's Schrödinger, not Schrodinger. Don't forget to let us know how that story turns out.

Looks like an interesting discussion on PPS above. Only the night owls will have read it here though. Maybe I should copy it out to the whiskey area... I'll think about it after breakfast.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 am

The system we publish on doesn't have the capacity for umlauts, and I don't know how to do them here.

I have more stories just like this, gather round...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 pm

I was supposed to be going to a wedding afters tonight, but for babysitting reasons, my wife went and left me to mind the child.

Bored now, no football. I have opened a chemistry set I bought for my godson a few years ago but never gave him.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else