NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Can someone explain to me??

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Can someone explain to me??

Postby scotty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 pm

What this refers to?
"This sad state of affairs ended in 1989 when the potatoe-peel ethenol plant in Dundalk was converted into a whiskey distillery".

this came from a book on whiskey that i am reading.

What does a potatoe-peel factory do?

I googled it without luck.
:D :D :D
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: Can someone explain to me??

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

scotty wrote:What this refers to?
"This sad state of affairs ended in 1989 when the potatoe-peel ethenol plant in Dundalk was converted into a whiskey distillery".

this came from a book on whiskey that i am reading.

What does a potatoe-peel factory do?

I googled it without luck.
:D :D :D

Potato-peel is another name for potato skin.

However the reference is to what was once a state run distillery near the town of Dundalk which made industrial spirit. Possibly created in response to the great fuel shortages in the 70's. For many years it was mixed with Petrol that was sold in Ireland as part of a self sustaining industry and as a way to reduce our national imported fuel bill.

This plant was closed well before 1989 and Cooley took over and converted it to a proper whiskey distillery in 1989.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby rathbeggan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 pm

The Riverstown plant, now Cooley Distillery, was part of Ceimicí Teo ("Chemicals Limited") which was established in 1939. There were four plants in total I think. The idea was to make industrial alcohol from potatoes.
Success to Temperance
rathbeggan
Quarter Cask

Postby scotty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 pm

rathbeggan wrote:The Riverstown plant, now Cooley Distillery, was part of Ceimicí Teo ("Chemicals Limited") which was established in 1939. There were four plants in total I think. The idea was to make industrial alcohol from potatoes.

maybe they also slipped in a barrel of pocheen from time to time.

thanks for the reply. :)

wonder what processes supplied the peels. i can believe they would waste all those potatoes just for the skin :) .
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:20 am

Any processor of spuds would gladly sell the skins if they could. Few keep the skins on. (my family likes taters with the skin on, but that's us). Places that make frozen fries, tater tots, etc., peel the potatoes and do something with the peels.

In the US we do something similar with corn - ethyl alcohol for motor fuel. This actually caused a feed corn shortage and increased prices.

I've heard vodka called "potato juice". Wonder if the peels could be turned into that?
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Quite a few Vodkas on the market made from potatoes currently so yes it is not un-common. And I would imagine when they say made from potatoes that means potato skins as that is where you get most og the alcohol from.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm too lazy to look this up but something in the back of my head is saying that the state set up distilleries to use up rotten or blighted potatoes. Potatoes are a source of starch, just like grain. Starch is converted to sugar, sugar to alcohol. Back in the day, I can't imagine there were any industrial sources of potato peelings in the country. You bought your spuds with peel and muck included :D
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes Dave making alcohol from potatoe peels is easier to believe than where the heck did the peels come from.

i just cant imagine.. If it were today i would say

a frozen french fry factory
instant mashed potatoe factory.
what else lol ??????
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else