NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Finally started setting up for the IRISH STYLE whiskey

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Finally started setting up for the IRISH STYLE whiskey

Postby scotty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 pm

THIS IS A 15 GALLON STAINLESS STEEL STOCK POT THAT I AM MODIFYING THE POT SO I CAN PROPERLY COMPLETE MY OBCESSION FOR MAKING IRISH STYLE WHISKEY. THERE IS A DRAIN VALVE IN IT AS YOU SEE---THE TOOLS ARE THERE BECAUSE WE ARE REPAIRING OUR HOT WATER HEATER AT THE TIME I TOOK THE PHOTO

THE LARGE STAINLESS DISK HAS 4 INCH STAINLESS BOLTS THROUGH IT TO ACT AS LEGS AND LEAVE ROOM I THE BOTTOM FOR SPACE BETWEEN THE BOTTOM WHERE THE HEAT WILL BE APPLIED AND THE GRAINS BEING MASHED.--THE DISK WITH THE BLACK CIRCLE AROUND IT IS STAINLESS MESH.--MISS ROCKY IS MAKING A NYLON GRAIN BAG THAT WILL FIT SNUGLY INTO THE POT WITH THIS DISK AS ITS BASE TO HOLD IT INTO A CYLINDERICAL SHAPE--THIS WILL AVOID GRAINS GETTING INTO THE FINISHED WORT AS IT IS BEING DRAINED OUT OFTHE MASH TUN(POT).

i still need get to tampa for the grain-- ill be back from philadelphia in 2 weeks. possibly i can find thegrain there and save the cost of petrol to tampa--it will cost about $40 us for the tampa trip and then about another $45 us for the grain. i might get a gallon 3.8 liters from that.
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: Finally started setting up for the IRISH STYLE whiskey

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 am

Excellent pics, essentially you've captured the essence of the set up from what I can see,

Traditionally your sieve was represented by oats, which helped to filter the wort whilst leaving the finer particulates of the grains behind.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby scotty » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:57 pm

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:Excellent pics, essentially you've captured the essence of the set up from what I can see,

Traditionally your sieve was represented by oats, which helped to filter the wort whilst leaving the finer particulates of the grains behind.

Usng the grain as the filter bed is definitely the correct way. The grain bag is for lazy guys like me. i'm trying to eliminate the aggrivation of some grain passing through but yes a false bottom(sieve of some sort) is what most more experienced mashers use.
Now i need some of your Irish luck so i find a grain supplyer on me trip.

Know any leprechauns??? :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Best of luck Scotty, looks like a fun journey you having there and I'd be in favour of the lazy man's route also as it will save you a lot of cleaning too ...

On the Leprechaun front ... easy, just look out for a rain bow follow it to it's end and you should see a little man sitting on a crock of shhh.... I mean gold ;) :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 pm

a pot of :shock: hmmmmm gold eh? ok.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Sat May 07, 2011 10:16 pm

These are the Fitzgerald brothers- i named my Irish style whiskey after them