NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Facebook Scam

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Facebook Scam

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi guys, if you get a link from a facebook friend with "Theme Park accident in Universal Studios Hollywood" or it could be Alton towers beware it is a scam.

Basically it looks for you to follow a link and then to view you have to click allow you person facebook data which I never do so I was curious about the link and googled it independently and got loads of hits about it being a phishing scam. Not sure if it is overly malicious as it wants you in the end to do an online survey which the scammers get paid for. Bjut anyway just to be aware.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Facebook Scam

Postby DavidH » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:36 pm

There are a whole bunch of scams on Facebook these days. Always of the "Check out this video, it's hilarious / amazing / etc" format. If it's not a link to a video on Facebook itself, or YouTube, then ignore it. Or copy the link, and paste it into another browser where you are not logged into Facebook.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Mothrae » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Personally, I found Facebook to get old very quickly for me. I can't see what could keep people there, except for maybe the games. Most of my friends there post just for the sake of posting. My cousin is one of those people who posts every time he blinks his eyes. Ho hum.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:24 pm

I always hated those games on FaceBook and being offered various farm animals every time I logged in caused me to ignore it for some time. I've now learned how to get rid of those messages and tend to use it more, it's a good way of interacting with other whisky lovers.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I used to get clobbered with friends' updates from the games, and lots of offers to join Mafia Wars, Farmville, some game that gave out eggs, etc. They've stopped for some reason. I don't get them anymore. Don't know why.

My daughter is logged in all the time, via her phone. I think she's afraid she'll miss something.

I communicate with some family members and a few old school friends. And not every day. Better things to do.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Return to Everything Else