NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

New Committee Member??

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

New Committee Member??

Postby John » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 am

Has a new Committee member been elected?
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: New Committee Member??

Postby varizoltan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:18 pm

as far as i remember it is free to join and our President Gary have asked a lot of time at meeting if anyone like to join the committee to do some work with us to make the ball rolling,
we have a female member volunteered Joanne, which is very good, so she can help a lot in relation to get more female members and other things too, and have view on things what a man may can not see

would you like to join and help us too John?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank-you for your offer Zoltan, but do Committee members not have to be specifically elected by the membership of the Society? Perhaps I have misread our Constitution, if so I apologise. For the record, I have absolutely no problem with having balance; as long as the right of the general membersip to elect those who represent/serve them is not diluted. I think that is fair?
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Perhaps it's not clear in the Constitution (I haven't read it closely myself) but there is provision for "fermentation" sub-committees to carry out specific tasks. So, for example, the Grand Crew bottling last year was done by a special sub-committee of one.

This was the intention of having sub-committees - that expertise could be brought on board where that was lacking in the standing committee.

That's what we have here too. We want a better gender balance and we don't really know how to achieve it. Hence the invitation.

But sure, I see your point. I'm not going to get caught up in procedure but if a member wants to call for a formal process then I won't object.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 pm

I think David is correct, individuals can be co-opted for individual projects, however all the key positions will be subject to annual re-election at the agm. The committee is hoping to get a new infusion of talent each year, also it is good corporate governance to have a balance between steady turnover and stability, hopefully we are achieving that e.g. the President becomes ex-officio member in his final year. I think we are fortunate at the level of interest and commitment thus far from the committee members and would also extend the hand to John to get further involved.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby John » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

Once again, many thanks for the offer. Unfortunately given my current committment to other organisations and projects I would be unable to give the required level of attention that a committee position would require. I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the future however and it would undoubtedly be a pleasure to work on the committee. :)

Back to my original point however, which is that it would be a shame to develop a habit of creating 'rules & regs' and then ignore the protocols that they demand. 'Committee Members' should be such by way of a vote! Otherwise who knows what they represent or what way their policies will influence budgets and promotions? The 'sub committee / co-opted' business is not something I'm familiar with so I don't really know how that works within the Society however that was not how the position was originally represented? Once again this is just highlighting a democratic issue and is not in anyway a reflection of the strengths/weaknesses of any proposed officers :thumbsup:
J.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:48 am

Could you take a look at the constitution and figure out where the rough edges are? There will be a request for proposed amendments in advance of the next AGM. That's the next time we will have only members in the room and can vote on changes.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

There's no attempt to subvert democracy going on by the committee.
I think it takes more work than many people think to run a society like this, and I'm utterly sure the committee would welcome every bit of assistance they can get from anyone who wants to become more involved.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:14 am

jcskinner wrote:There's no attempt to subvert democracy going on by the committee.
I think it takes more work than many people think to run a society like this, and I'm utterly sure the committee would welcome every bit of assistance they can get from anyone who wants to become more involved.

+1
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:57 pm

The co-option process is in accordance with article 18 of the constitution: http://www.irishwhiskeysociety.com/constitution.html (the links don't work, but you can scroll to the bottom of the page).
I'm not an elected member (possibly like John, too many other commitments at the moment) but volunteered to run the Grand Crew project as a specific task.
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:53 am

Yes you are correct Michael, I had missed it myself.

In the very last lin eof Article 18 it states.

Article 18

"The Committee may appoint Sub-Committees (Fermenters) to assist in specific areas."

I think maybe every so often the Committee should formally ask members if they are interested in helping out.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks Michael. You're spot-on, there is certainly nothing wrong with the appointment of sub-committees etc comprised of members who have an interest or particular competence in a particular field. In fact it should be encouraged! The confusion, I believe, stems from the manner of the initial e-mail announcement whereby it was mentioned that a new committee member had joined, without any reference to a particular sub-committee or co-option process. Hence the election question! Simples :D
J.
John
Hogshead

Return to Society