NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

May 2010 - Japanese Whiskey Tasting (27th)

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

May 2010 - Japanese Whiskey Tasting (27th)

Postby Fionnán » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 pm

been a while since i logged in. noticed that there are events planned for April and June and i was just wondering if you guys had decided on anything for the May meeting.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Re: May?

Postby DavidH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Yup, that would be a Japanese whisky tasting. I'll throw an event description up there now...
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 pm

It's on the events page now. Zoltan, if there are any details to add, let me know.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 pm

sounds good, do you guys have anything planned for July yet by any chance or is that still too far off? I spoke with the college administration here today and i have to take a summer course to fulfill one of my overlooked degree requirements so i wont be in dublin as early as i thought. If i dont make the independence day tasting i can still try to bring over some interesting ryes or bourbons just for the society's future use
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Re: May 2010 - Japanese Whiskey Tasting

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu May 20, 2010 7:52 pm

For those who are interested ahead of the Japanese Tasting the Celtic Whiskey Shop has stocked up on its selection of Japanese Whiskeys again.

Currently in stock Yamazaki Single Malt 10yo, 12yo & 18yo and the Ltd Edition Sherry Cask (c. 12-15yo)

also available Hakushu Single Malt 10yo, 12yo & 18yo

and the fine blended Hibiki 12yo malt blend & 17yo malt and grain blend

Recommended are the Yamazaki 18yo, Yamazaki Sherry cask & the Hibiki 12yo
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: May 2010 - Japanese Whiskey Tasting

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Japanese Whisky

7:30-9:30pm, Thursday, May 27th

Brooks Hotel, Drury Street, Dublin 2

Committee member, Zoltan Vari, took a trip around the world in 2009. On the Japan leg of his tour, he visited three of Japan's major distilleries: Nikka, Yamazaki and Hakushu.

He will share his photos and thoughts on Japanese whisky while we sample some of each distillery's output.

The night will provide a rare opportunity to try at least two whiskies that are not sold in Ireland: Nikka All Malt (a very unusual blend of pot still malt and Coffey still malt) and Nikka Tsuru 17yo.

Please book and pay for your place on our booking site. Money will not be taken at the door so do ensure you have paid up in advance.

Entry is €15 for members. You can purchase membership along with your ticket.

Entry is €22.50 for non-members.

Doors open: 7:30pm (please wait in the bar if you arrive before this time so we can set up the room)

Tasting begins: 8:00pm sharp
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: May 2010 - Japanese Whiskey Tasting (27th)

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 pm

The list of whiskys we will taste;

Nikka All Malt
Nikka Tsuru 17
Yamazaki 12
Hakushu 12
Hibiki 12
Yamazaki Sherry Cask

I have selected over 500 pictures taken at 3 distilleries Nikka, Yamazaki and Hakushu, and i am sure that not that many people seen these places inside, and yous will enjoy the night.

See yous there!
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Sat May 22, 2010 5:09 pm

We're Turning Japanese!

It was probably one of the most successful acts of industrial espionage ever.
In 1917, as World War 1 raged, a 23 year old Japanese student moved to Scotland to study chemistry in Glasgow.
Soon afterwards, he got a job at Hazelburn distillery, where he learnt many of the secrets of distilling good Scotch.
He took this knowledge with him back to the Far East, where he helped found not one but three whisky distilleries across Japan.
Today, the Japanese whisky industry produces vastly more whisky than Ireland does, and has garnered a reputation of quality that matches even that of Scotland.
Many Scottish noses were put out of joint when a Japanese whisky was announced the best in the world in 2006. But again and again, they have repeated that feat.
Here in Ireland, where whiskey was born, Japanese whisky is almost unknown.
Now the Irish Whiskey Society intends to introduce Irish whiskey fans to the wonderful drams that come from the Land of the Rising Sun.
IWS Committee member Zoltan Vari travelled to Japan and visited three of the country's top distilleries: Nikka, Yamazaki and Hakushu.
He brought back some fascinating stories, some striking pictures and most importantly some bottles from his exploration of Japanese whisky.
Join Zoltan and the Irish Whiskey Society on Thursday May 27th at 7.30pm in Brooks Hotel, Drury Street, Dublin 2, to explore whiskey's best-kept secret – the drams of Japan.

Background information:
The Irish Whiskey Society is Ireland's only society dedicated to our national spirit.
Founded only a year ago, the society holds monthly tastings in the Dublin area with the aim of encouraging an appreciation of Irish whiskey and the whiskeys of the world, and there's nothing we love more than enjoying them in the company of friends.
Our website - www.irishwhiskeysociety.com - is already established as the authoritative home of objective whiskey discussion and information online, and receives thousands of visitors each month.
Please sign up to our regular e-bulletin at www.irishwhiskeysociety.com to keep informed about all developments in the world of Irish whiskey.
The Irish Whiskey Society promotes the responsible enjoyment of alcohol.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Well Done JC, I really like the write up.... thanks again
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat May 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Any one to report on this event? Unfortunately I missed it eventhough I had planned to go. I was even in Dublin on the night :( Ah well such is life.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat May 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Brief feedback,

The line-up on the night was (1) Nikka All Malt (2) Tsuru 17yo (3) Hakushu 12yo (4) Yamazaki 12yo (5) Hibiki Blend and finishing with (6) Yamazaki Ltd Ed Sherry Cask.

At the end there wasn't much to chose between 2,3,4 & 5 with a wide spread of admirers. However the winer on the night was the Tsuru 17yo by a whisker. The much anticipated Yamazaki Ltd Ed Sherry Cask was a big disappointment apart from a small coterie of fans of very heavy sherry finishes at the back of the room.

At the end of the night we got the opportunity to try the recently bottled private single cask bottling of Tyrconnell 17(and a half) year old, which was enjoyed by most present, a few seasoned observers expressed a preference for the CWS Tyrconnell 17yo Single cask.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Return to Society