NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Tullamore (1st March) Grand Crew presentation/tasting

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Tullamore (1st March) Grand Crew presentation/tasting

Postby PureDrop » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Folks,
The Offaly Branch of IWAI (Inland Waterways Association of Irleand) in conjunction with the
Offaly Historical Society are hosting a talk on last year's Grand Crew project (see http://grandcrew.iwai.ie) covering the "Why we did it, What we did, How we did it etc.) The talk will cover much the same ground as presented at the society tasting on 1st October 2009. If you missed it, or if you're outside Dublin, then this might be an opportunity to see/hear all. You'll also get an opportunity to taste the two expressions.

The venue is the Historical Society, Bury Quay, Tullamore at 8pm, 1st March 2010.

From http://www.iwai.ie/diary/index.php3?id=768:
"This project was developed to mark the 50th anniversary of the Grand Canal’s closure to commercial traffic in 1959, to celebrate the achievements of the boatmen who worked the commercial boats and to promote the restoration of the Kilbeggan Line, the combined muscles of Cooley Distillery, Inland Waterways Association of Ireland (IWAI), Heritage Boat Association (HBA), 107B restoration barge project, Kilbeggan Harbour Amenity Group and the Irish Whiskey Society (IWS); shipped two whiskey casks by canal from Locke's Distillery in Kilbeggan to Dublin for the first time in more than 50 years.

Michaels talk will cover all aspects of the project from the original whiskey selection in Cooley’s, Kilbeggan by the Irish Whiskey Society, the transportation of the Casks from the distillery via vintage truck, the travel along the Kilbeggan line by horse and cart, the transfer of the casks onto the 107B Barge which transported the cask to Dublin and on to a celebration with the former Canal Boatmen and the arrival of the casks in Dublin and the official welcome by Dublin's Lord Mayor on the 6th October.

The talk will be interwoven with photos and video of the various stages and of course a tasting of the product itself, with both casks represented on the sampling table."

Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Re: Tullamore (1st March) Grand Crew presentation/tasting

Postby varizoltan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 pm

can not make it
i be at home at my dentist, getting implants.....sour :(
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby COG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Mighty stuff!!
Looking forward to it already.... to have the opportunity to walk home after the tasting is a novelty for us country folk!!
COG
New Spirit

Postby PureDrop » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Good to hear that.
Looks like we might also have Locke's Blend and Locke's 8yo Malt to compare with.
Those who are driving can of course still sniff! Rubbing the whiskey into the hands and having a good sniff really seems to intensify the aromas.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby PureDrop » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 am

A good night, I think.
About 40 attendees - a mix of IWS, IWAI, History, People who partook of the events of 29/08/2009 (Kilbeggan Challenge) etc. 4 whiskeys sampled during the talk - Locke's Blend, Locke's 8yo Single Malt, Locke's "Grand Crew" cask 700 and cask 696. Sadly, I didn't take any scores.
We also had a wee video at the end (first-time showing).

Zoltan was also presenting tonight - I'll let him give the results of the Hungarian jury.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Zoltan was also presenting tonight - I'll let him give the results of the Hungarian jury.
Michael[/quote]

Hi all,

I was at home to get my implants for my teeth and it was a good excuse to make my trip near the date suit to the Hungarian Whisky Club night as well.

They made an Irish night, because they knew i was coming, and they are usually taste Scotch

We had Clontarf single malt, Knappogue Castle 1995/1, Tullamore 10 single malt, and Bushmills 16

I told them i gonna have some surprise with me, so they had no idea what i had.

I had a p.p. presentation about our Society and the Grand Crew project, and i shared my bottles of 696 and 700 with the 30 (5 ladies!) attended for the night

At the end i asked which one they liked better

696 4 votes
700 26 votes

They thanked me a lot for sharing my bottle and wished all the best for us, and some members willing to come over to our tastings.
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Sounds like you had a very good night there Zoltan. :D Fair play for spreading the IWS news, etc. Was a poll done on the preferences for the first four whiskeys? Interesting about the Grand Crew poll - has anyone else found that they rated the 700 over the 696 :?:
Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:17 pm

i have not asked them about the other 4, but i think they liked the Lockes better

700 was my favourite since the first nosing at Michaels house

so i can say the Hungarians like 700, Irish like 696 better.
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm so pleased both got bottled in the end.
They're both idiosyncratically different, yet clearly of the same family.
I can perfectly understand those who prefer the 700, as it's certainly more balanced. My oul lad and some of his cronies edged in favour of the 700 too.
But for me, the 696 is just so fascinating that I'm drawn back to it.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby PureDrop » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

I think it might be sweet tooth of the Hungarians - Tokaji Aszú and all that.
Zoltan, how many "Puttonyos" does cask 700 rate? :P
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 pm

[quote="MichaelS"]I think it might be sweet tooth of the Hungarians - Tokaji Aszú and all that.
Zoltan, how many "Puttonyos" does cask 700 rate? :P
Michael[/quo

6 for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:

but you and some lucky others can compare them in a few weeks time in Hungary :thumbsup:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society