NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Burns Supper

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Burns Supper

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Kaixo whiskey alumni,
Why doesnt the club celebrate an anual "Burns Supper" night,it a great way to enjoy Whisk(e)y paired with food,the exact date is January 25 but throughout January their are regular Burns events.I am going to host my first one on January 29 as friday is a better night than a Monday..their is a great site sponcered by the ..Famous Grouse called worlds famous Burns supper.....have fun,

Agur y Slainte !!
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Re: Burn's Supper.

Postby John » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I don't know if there would be much demand within the Irish Whiskey Society for a Burns night, it's more of a Scottish thing - doubt many people over here would be very familiar with his work.

The concept of matching food and spirits is becoming more popular, though if I'm having a drink of that nature (i.e. 40% alc. and upwards) I usually prefer it on it's own.
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: Burns Supper

Postby DavidH » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Good idea! Our Jan 28th tasting is all Scottish anyway and I'm sure Michael F would be happy to lead us all in a Burns singalong.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:03 pm

I must admit I'm one of the 'Whisk(e)y matched with Food' skeptics. I too like my whiskey with nothing more than a bit of water if at that :lol:

I actually don't mind a bit of cheese or chocolate after a few but the thought of sitting down to a 4 course meal with a whisk(e)y to accompany each coures does not really light my fire.

Then again I would not refuse a night of it either ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I must admit I'm one of the 'Whisk(e)y matched with Food' skeptics. I too like my whiskey with nothing more than a bit of water if at that :lol:

I actually don't mind a bit of cheese or chocolate after a few but the thought of sitting down to a 4 course meal with a whisk(e)y to accompany each coures does not really light my fire.

Then again I would not refuse a night of it either ;)

Adrian I wouldn't worry. If the food is Scottish then you'll need to be drunk to eat it. ;)
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

Kaixo Chico's.
Look Guys its all about marketing and fun,every Irish,Scots,British etc bar hosts St Patricks partys,Octoberfests etc so why not a burns night,it can be formatted anyway you want ie i dont have a restaurant so my setup will be piping in the haggis the address to the haggis then as i live in Spain,,whiskeys & tapas(Mussells,Oysters etc)including a pub quizz...Dont forget were all about Whisk(E)y and both Irish & Scots can be used,also my focus will be on Bardic poetry inc work from the Bard of Thommond, and an Irish tribute to Burns and as kilts are involved a great photo op.
all the best agur
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Adrian I wouldn't worry. If the food is Scottish then you'll need to be drunk to eat it. ;)

I never worry too much Willie as long as I have a whisk(e)y in my hand ;)

Must admit the times I've been over I've not had too many bad experiences with food. I have actually liked any haggis I've been given, Tatties is a good Irish staple too but not into neeps at all which is a turn up for the books, (okay bad pun) :lol: . Good Scottish contempary cuisine is as good as anywhere else.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Good Scottish contempary cuisine is as good as anywhere else.

That's because its the same as everywhere else and has nothing really to do with Scotland :lol:
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Postby Michael Foggarty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I had been think on that line for the tasting on the 28th, so kilt out then! i will try to organise the haggis and a recital to "The Haggis" "oh great chieftan oh the puddin race....." if you want (not a 4 course meal more like a sample!)
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:30 pm

(Two months later...)

I agree with the post above, that other folks enjoy St. Patrick's, Oktoberfest, and other assorted ethnic and national festivals, so why not enjoy a Burns dinner? I'm always up for a meal I don't often have. (I'm addicted to food shows on the Food Network here in the US). I also agree with the posts above that good uische beatha should be enjoyed with a sprinkle of water to release the angels, and little else (as in, not during a meal).

Gleanntan ni Cheleigh
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby jcskinner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Looking forward to the deep fried mars bars! :thumbsup:
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Society