NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Our own venue

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Our own venue

Postby DavidH » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:11 pm

This was posted elsewhere:
TheWhiskeyBro wrote:My personal BHAG is a permanent society venue, possibly our own private club, with its own whiskey library which members could partake of drams!

There is no immediate prospect of this but it's a fun discussion so let's hear some more visions of what a society premises would look like, or how we might get there.

I'd like to know how many members we would need to afford this.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Our own venue

Postby JohnM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm not fussy, as long as it's made from solid gold, with high roofs and a real tennis court, stags' heads on the wall, brass spitoons and velvet-lined mahogony cases for our suppin' straws.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:18 pm

In a castle near Peebles, I once saw Gorilla hands with the palms inlaid with silver so they could be used as ashtrays.
In my opinion, Gorilla-hand ashtrays are a must for the smoking patio.
Considering the history of the SMWS might be enlightening in this regard. How long did it take them to go from 10 guys buying a cask to a society owning its own premises?
In short, it might not be as far off nor as difficult as we think.
I feel that the premises would likely have to be Dublin based, have a display and educational facility, a tasting room, and a licence for retail of alcohol.
And gorilla hand ashtrays. Other than that, I'm easy.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Okay so to start off we're going to explete the worlds gold reserves and terminate an endangered species ...

Don't forget we'd probably need a few herd of cattle slaughtered for leather arm chairs ...

Where else can we go with this ... are we allowed to go on a whiskey tour come hunting expidition for the wall adornments. Maybe we could mount a few diageo or Pernod-riocard excutives heads on them.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm

yes, i can see where yous are coming from,

but i think we really need our own stills and warehouses in it :!: :!: :!:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Kaixo Guys,
Why not get on to the relevant Government agencies with a view to Heritage/culture and house the proposed"club house" one of the numerous Dublin heritage buildings that have un used rooms or space, Buildings comming to mind eg on Earl street where the Heraldry offices or a fine Georgian Building who may have had a whiskey buff born such as Dram Stoker,Oliver john Gogarty etc,i´m sure an established smaller heritage centre such as Bloomsday would love to be associated with our Society to attract more tourists or to add more attractions to their events.
Or how about afficiacion with simular clubs ie Irish Kilt Society,the Bagpipers club cigar clubs,and share costs and facilities....
Remember Dublin had a week long whiskey bonded warehouse fire fado fado 17....in the Cork street area.
Agur,
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Reading Pilgrim's comment suddenly made me remember all the cellars in Dublin that used to house the maturing whiskey of the Dublin distillers and bonders. Below the George's St Arcade, for example. Mitchell's had one too somewhere... Fitzwilliam St? It escapes me for now. Not currently used, anyway.

No doubt they are in need of a bit of fixing-up but how appropriate would that be?
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:50 pm

it is not a bad idea to coop with the heritage guys
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm

varizoltan wrote:it is not a bad idea to coop with the heritage guys

I spoke to An Taisce (who look after some of our heritage buildings) recently. They wouldn't touch us because they don't have spirits licences for their properties and they are too expensive to acquire.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:24 pm

i see, but how much is a spirit licence?
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:09 pm

varizoltan wrote:i see, but how much is a spirit licence?

As it was told to me, a spirits licence is "in other words, a full bar licence". I don't know what it costs.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Kaixo Guys,
Dont forget Irish Whiskey is a heritage product,tourism in the "Aul Sod" is slowing down,,so a new influx of whiskey tourists could be welcome,and we are in "El Crisis" remember.Its worth checking out licencing in reference to bars,pubs clubs etc,a lot of these historic actually had bars of some description ie Leinster House,,now theirs an idea...imagine the bars in Leinster house,the new B&B in the Phoenix pk etc run by the I.W.S.that would add a few aul KUDOS to the society.or if in an old bonding cellar or in the Wicklow mts call it "The Hell fire club" the bucks in that club used to drink a strange whiskey based concoction,name escapes me....

I like the Cellar idea meself, a whiskey bonders cellar adds Provenence..Cool !!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:28 am

I'm not sure how or if it affects the cost of the licence but the SMWS used to open only on a limited basis. I can remember when the Vaults in Leith were only open Friday/Saturday and they gradually built up business from there. Obviously turnover has to cover the costs or it wont last long.
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:29 am

Kaixo Ancient order of the Amber nectar,
With regards to home for the I.W.S.,check out what the boys at the I.K.S( aka Irish Kilt Society) have done.Charleville Castle Tullamore Co Offally from January 2010 is now the official home to the I.K.S. with the kind help and support from Dudley Stewart..What better a setting for Irelands Premier Societies and a great place to enjoy a wee boll o malt ,,,,,Slainte !!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:33 pm

The lucky beggers ...

I think one of the biggest barriers to us being hosted by some else is the drinks licencing issue. Although we are a private society and if some other person or organisation hosted us this becomes an issue in relation to a drinks licence. And once you approach organisations with drinks licences they usually want more money.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:03 am

I've given this some thought and the only legal way to go under irish law is a private members club... I don't know exactly how these are set up in Ireland but it would be interesting to explore... also how do all the sporting organisations run there operations, GAA, Rugby, Soccer & Hockey clubs who have their own bars...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Kaixo Guys,
Dont forget you have a "Lodge" on the "Mainland" for Whiskey gatherings in Gernika..A home away from home..mi casa su casa etc etc !! Scanlan's Tavern on the rugged coastal "spiritual" route to Santiago,

ye aul Whiskeygoose, Have a merry New Year or Hogmanay,,Slainte !!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Return to Society