NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

New Society Merchandise?

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

New Society Merchandise?

Postby John » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Good afternoon all,
I may have missed a post or an e-mail or a tweet or even a pigeon (!) on this topic; but has some new merchandise been issued by the Society? I see some new items doing the rounds and would like to know how to purchase them.
Thanks,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: New Society Merchandise?

Postby paddy1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi John

The committee members recently purchased a number of items as a trial run.

Each committee member selected what they wanted from a list and paid for them themselves.

The white shirts worn by committee members at the Tullamore D.E.W. event on the 2nd October will not be available to the members.

These shirts are only available for the committee, so the members can going forward identify the committee members and approach them with any questions.

However, baseball caps, pins, hoodies, flat caps etc. are to be made available to purchase.

Details to be confirmed.

The committee meets on the second Weds. of every month. A number of ongoing issues are also discussed outside these meetings via the committees group email.

This will be discussed Weds. 8th at the next meeting.

Will update you when details are finalised
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby John » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Paddy1,
Many thanks for your reply.

I have to say that I'm really not in favour of any form of 'two-tier' membership, we all pay the same subscription fee and tasting fees. Therefore, what's available to one should be available to all. As a founding member I know this was a central pillar of the original 'charter', so why such a change would emerge now is baffling and disappointing.

Rather than wearing a differently coloured shirt as a way of letting the members know who they are, could I suggest a 'Contacts' page on the website with a photo, title and an overview of what each committee member is responsible for? I believe that would be a far more effective and focused approach; after all only a certain percentage of Society members get to attend the tastings each month and so the majority will still be unaware of who is who.

Best regards,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:06 pm

John wrote:Hi Paddy1,
Many thanks for your reply.

I have to say that I'm really not in favour of any form of 'two-tier' membership, we all pay the same subscription fee and tasting fees. Therefore, what's available to one should be available to all. As a founding member I know this was a central pillar of the original 'charter', so why such a change would emerge now is baffling and disappointing.

Rather than wearing a differently coloured shirt as a way of letting the members know who they are, could I suggest a 'Contacts' page on the website with a photo, title and an overview of what each committee member is responsible for? I believe that would be a far more effective and focused approach; after all only a certain percentage of Society members get to attend the tastings each month and so the majority will still be unaware of who is who.

Best regards,
John.

Great suggestion John. I also think your right regarding the committee. Why cant name badges be giving out at the tastings and you write your name on them. They can then be used again at the next tasting. I was down in Dingle at the recent gathering there and nearly everyone had a badge, very handy.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby paddy1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It is very important to us.

I totally agree with both of you.

I would have said in a previous post about the Tullamore D.E.W. opening -

"the society was set up by its members for its members and everyone is equal".

Nothing is finalised regarding the range of merchandise that will be made available to the members.

As mentioned in my previous post this is still at discussion point.

It is on the agenda for the next meeting.

I will make the committee aware of your views on this matter.
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby John » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Paddy1,
Can you let us know the outcome of the discussions that were had on this topic at last Wednesday's meeting please? Indeed is there any record available to the general membership of any topics discussed by the committee?
Thanks,
J.
John
Hogshead

Postby paddy1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:34 am

Hi John

A meeting is scheduled for next Wednesday.

Last Wednesdays meeting was deferred. Apologies for that.

I will revert as soon as I have some news.

Minutes are taking at all meetings and then circulated to the committee.

So everything is recorded. There is no secrets here.

We are only slow to release info.. because a lot of time and effort goes into organising these things and we don`t like releasing the info. until everything is confirmed. These things are organised with 3rd parties e.g. distillers, clothing companies etc. . Clothing lines, pricing etc. can change. Regarding the tastings the actual event can change due to circumstances beyond our control and event dates may have to be swapped.

The clothes was a trial run, as previously mentioned. The trial run took some time to organise. I would hope that a similar role out for the members would be quicker, but logistics of it etc., will take time also.

I don`t know the policy about making the minutes available to the members. I will have to put that on the agenda for the next meeting.

I would just like to say John, that I am personally doing my best to keep you all up to date on society things.

If you want to know anything else, please ask and it will be passed onto the committee.

I will then report back as soon as I have a response.

You can also email Garry direct at president@[Removed. Email addresses should never be posted in the clear on the web. It attracts spam.]
He will revert a.s.a.p.

Hope thats Ok with you.
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby paddy1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi all,

The committee discussed your queries at the last meeting. Below is an update;

1. Society merchandise for the members - a committee member is currently in discussions with the vendor regarding the options for payment and distribution. The committee will revert as soon as everything is confirmed.

2. Committee and members interaction - the committee going forward will keep the members informed via the forum and newsletter regarding committee meetings.
paddy1
New Spirit

Return to Society