NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

July 2009 Meeting

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

July 2009 Meeting

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 pm

When: 7pm, Thursday 30th of July

Where: Upstairs in Bowes Pub, Fleet Street, Dublin 2.

Details of the tasting line-up to follow soon.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: July 2009 Meeting

Postby IainB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Sod it, I'll be away for this one too. I really teally hope I can make the August one.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Kaixo from Euskadi,
In the Basque Highlands...Enjoy the tasting with the Mounteering theme,sorry i cant make it.But keep in mind when you raise a toast to great Irish Mountaineers,Patrick Russell an Irishman who penned the first guide to the Basque Pyrenees,Who is remembered and celebrated here in Bizkaia as well as other part of the Pyrenees.
Agur/Slain,,
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:08 am

Be Nice to remember Gerard McDonnell also the Limerick climber who died on K2 last Year.

On the 1st of August Gerard McDonnell was the first Irish man to summit K2 which is probably the most notorious mountain on earth. Unfortunately it was to prove so this time too and turned into the worst disaster ever on the mountain. I followed this quite closely at the time. Seemingly while trying to save less experienced climbers from another team he was taken by a fatal avalanche on the mountain.

May he rest in peace.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:06 pm

last night was a great night, Bowes was packed, a good story to see

thanks Peter for that again
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 pm

Really sorry I couldn't make it. Sounds like it was a great event. Well done to Peter, and congrats to the lads who pulled it all together.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to Peter for a great evening. Mountains and I are complete strangers but I found the whole talk fascinating. The mechanical process of getting up such a mountain, the superhuman abilities of the Sherpas, camp conditions, Nepalese culture, vignettes about the other climbers on the mountains... It was really so much more than I anticipated.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 am

well i do not think i be able to climb that
it is just to dangerous, but fair play to Peter he summit :thumbsup:
DavidH wrote:I'd like to add my thanks to Peter for a great evening. Mountains and I are complete strangers but I found the whole talk fascinating. The mechanical process of getting up such a mountain, the superhuman abilities of the Sherpas, camp conditions, Nepalese culture, vignettes about the other climbers on the mountains... It was really so much more than I anticipated.
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society