NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Ladies and Whiskey

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Ladies and Whiskey

Postby austrianfan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,

I (Austrian living in Dublin and in Vienna) have just joined the Irish Whiskey Society and was wondering if there are any women members .... would hate to be the only one ....

Ulli
austrianfan
New Spirit

Re: Ladies and Whiskey

Postby DavidH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Welcome Ulli! The ratio is quite unbalanced, it's true, but we do have some, plus some more women who are not members but come to tastings from time-to-time. There is also a woman on the committee.

We would love to have more come to our tastings so bring a friend or two :-) In February we will have a Whiskey & Chocolate evening to see if we can make it even more enticing.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby austrianfan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:36 am

Hi David ,

Thanks for your quick reply --> looking forward to February tasting then !!!

And yes -- I will bring a friend.

Happy Christmas,

Ulli
austrianfan
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Ulli & great to have you on board, Céad Míle Fáilte (One Hundred Thousand Welcomes as the blarney goes)

The quick answer is No you won't be the only Lady in the group but you will be one of a few. We hope to change this and are actively trying to encourage this. We have quite a few signed up to the forum though but still need a few more fully signed up for the Society to break the stereo type. Many still think whiskey is a man's drink over a certain age ... whiskey is for every one but sometimes that is hard to convey to an uneducated public. We have a wide demographic from college going to retired and all in-between and every one gets along in a friendly atmosphere but I suppose the biggest group would be the 35-45 age group. Hopefully you will encourage others to join also just by posting here. One of the girls from last year is already on the committee and if your interested I'm sure there is more room for you to come on board too as we are always looking to improve.

I'm based in Galway so only get the chance to come to a tasting once in the blue moon but they are still for me the best way to learn about new whiskey at a very reasonable price so for me €50 is worth the membership even for just 2 tastings.

If you are looking for an ice breaker we can arrange for one of the committee members to meet you at your first tasting and let you know the format and introduce you to a few of the members and get you settled in before the event.

Sláinte
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 am

G'day Ulli. Did you make the last tasting?
I spoke to Mags Darcy from the wexford Camogie team and she to was interested the Whiskey Society too.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society