NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Terminal 2 Dublin airport tasting

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Terminal 2 Dublin airport tasting

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Well, the new Terminal 2 is open and their 'The Irish Whiskey Collection' shop is set to become a real mecca for Irish whiskey fans.

On Thursday, the society had the pleasure of a tasting in their company, and they really treated us with some very special drams from their definitive collection.

In addition to a couple of Irish whiskeys retailing in the US, which wouldn't be known in Ireland - John L Sullivan and Danny Boy (Both Cooleys, I believe) - we also were priveliged to experience two of their exclusive bottlings - the Midleton 19 yo pure pot still and the Greenore 19 year old single cask. Both, in my humble opinion, were magnificent. The Greenore especially was a real eye opener. Sadly it's also a wallet lightener too!
The Midleton is as good a pure pot still as I've ever had. Lovely wood in great balance with the fruit and spice elements. The Greenore also showed off the contribution of good wood and perfect aging, and was a massive step up from the now discontinued 15 yo standard bottling.
We also got to try the quirky Inis Turk Beg whiskey, which has caused a little controversy due to it's strange bottle, claims of being casked in 'poitin casks' and stored on a beach, and somewhat elevated price tag. An interesting dram actually which for me gave off some unusual notes of liquorice and orange peel. Beautiful artifact, but not really worth the price being asked.
I'm forgetting one of the drams we had, for which I apologise. I suppose in my defence, I can't have thought much of it, which may not be fair given the unbelievable whiskeys it was up against.

As a surprise on the night, they also treated us to a sample of their own Bushmills millennium malt, an absolute cracker of a whiskey which apparently they have had hidden in their stocks waiting for the right time to be released. There won't be many bottles of this, but what there is will be onsale at the Terminal 2 shop.

It was a pleasure to meet the staff of the Whiskey Collection store, who are all very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and keen to promote Irish whiskey just as the society is. They were great company and I really look forward to meeting them all again, either at a tasting or else at the airport!

Hopefully, some other attendee can come along and provide more fulsome notes. I forgot to take any, I was enjoying the selection of whiskeys so much!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Terminal 2 Dublin airport tasting

Postby DavidH » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:44 am

jcskinner wrote:I'm forgetting one of the drams we had...

JC forgot a Bushmills? :o It was the 1608; you might even have commented on it last night :)
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am

DavidH wrote:
jcskinner wrote:I'm forgetting one of the drams we had...

JC forgot a Bushmills? :o It was the 1608; you might even have commented on it last night :)

Had it too many times, David! I've bottles of it in the house. It's a smashing dram, of course, but familiarity may breed contempt sometimes, or at least temporary amnesia!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 pm

The running order,

John L Sullivan 40.0% 1L (blend c.4-10yo)
Greenore 19yo Single Grain Single Cask #1796 60.5%
InishTurkBeg 10yo Single Malt 44.0%
Danny Boy 15yo Single Malt 40.0%
Bushmills 1608 Anniversary Edition 46.0%
Midleton 19yo Single Pot Still Single Cask #48709 53.7%

And we finished with the surprise guest whiskey of the night....

Bushmills Millenium 24yo Single Malt 43.0%

The verdict....

Three whiskies stood out, the Greenore 19yo, Bushmills 1608 & Midleton 19yo.

The Greenore 19yo was undoubtedly the best grain whiskey that the audience had tested but out of reach for most budgets.

Luscious, mouth coating vanilla, almond & banana & exotic fruit notes.

The Bushmills 1608 was by far the best 'bang for your buck' and was voted the whiskey people would most likely purchase.

But the winner on the night was the Midleton 19yo Single Cask, a handful said they might buy it for themselves but again out of reach for the majority.

Again beautiful in the mouth, complex & spicy, full & ripe summer fruits, superb length. One to be savoured slowly. Fine example of the pot still style.

The evening was a great success, with a hugely enjoyable evening head by the audience, the committee and our hosts the staff of DAA Whiskey Collection.

A big thank you to Sue, Deirdre, Dominic, James, Judith & Mary who all contributed to a wonderfully entertaining and interesting tasting.

The night was above and beyond everyone's expectations and the society was grateful for what was an incredibly generous tasting & lineup. :thumbsup:
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society