NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Next Impact/Growth Brands for Irish Whiskey?

Let's talk whiskey.

Next Impact/Growth Brands for Irish Whiskey?

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Who do you think are the next hot/impact/growth brands are for Irish Whiskey category? I love Irish Whiskey and would like to try some new ones that compete in quality and taste with Tully Dew and Jameson. I'm living in the U.S., so would be great if they are already sold here.
Thanks!
Tim
New Spirit

Re: Next Impact/Growth Brands for Irish Whiskey?

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 am

Jameson are in all fairness the trend setters ... Jameson's growth is the one that everybody else hangs off. Jameson is the only Irish Whiskey brand that is spending vast amounts of money and time on advertising, exposure and branding. Of course it is all down to scale but I don't think even on scale anything can compare to Jameson.

Jameson have really come up to the plate since they have come up with a concise range.

Per 2007 we had the Jameson NAS (regular) Jam 12yo and then the Gold(from travel retail). Then the 18yo can along also but the whole range was a bit disjointed. By 2007 they came out with a cohesive brand ... Jameson NAS remained pretty much the same but the new range suddenly jumped into a sort of uniformity.

We now have the Jameson 12yo, Jameson Signature Reserve (travel Retail), Jameson Gold, Jameson 18yo & Jameson Rare Vintage which are all smartly packaged in a slick and similar branding scheme. Finally Jameson has caught up with Johnny Walker.

In regards to the rest of the industry ... Bushmills already has a decent line up but it has been very much under represented as a range in the market. It is possible that they will not over step the current range but possibly vamp up on advertising so possibly a new emphasis on the brand. So look out for that.

Then you have the likes of the independent brands like Knappogue ... everybody seems to like the brand but it is still just drifting along .. doing well but neither breaking any major ground nor failing since it's inception.

Tullamore on the other hand is a major brand but it is not hotly contested in Ireland so we are blind to it but it is big in Germany, France, Netherlands and a few other European countries and of course the US. But is it being flogged in the press??? .. we don't know. But the brand has like Jameson totally grown up with the NAS, 10yo reserve, 10yo Malt, 12yo Special reserve, the heritage and the latest the Black 43%. So the potential is there.

Independent Distiller Cooley had originally been every body's dogs body but now after years of slow and steady chipping they have gained major kudos on the international circuit with their major brands of Connemara & Tyrconnell. These individual brands are doing very well but possibly don't have the clout to take them to the big time just yet.

So to you question ... where is the next Impact ... to be quite honest ... god knows????

Jameson is the most likely contender again as they have to money to push but do not be surprised to see any of the others above pop into your local advertising space.

However the likes of say John L Sullivan could may well pop into the equation but it will depend on how good it is and how well it is received. At the end of the day a brand will only survive due to the support it gets.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 am

I expect Bushmills (Diageo) to go after Jameson (Pernod Ricard) soon enough. Since Diageo bought Bushmills from PR in 2005 they have been ramping up production. There must be a marketing push coming.

If I was Pernod Ricard, I'd be expecting this so I'd launch my own brand to "compete" with Jameson. I'd start flogging Powers in the US. I think it has been getting some exposure recently over there, yes?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Yes we are still awaiting to see what will happen with Bushmills. One would of expected a big marketing push but it has not happened yet even though there appears to be a constant advert presence on the brand.

Good point David on the other IDL brands ... Certainly Powers, Paddy & Redbreast are getting more exposure and shelf space in the US so it could well be these that are the ones. A short few years ago you could not source Paddy, Powers or Redbreast 12yo widely in the US. Now it seems that all have a presence country wide and not alone that but Powers 12yo and Redbreast 15yo are also coming to market.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Mothrae » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Around St. Patrick's Day here, you'll see ads for "Hot Powers" drinks, usually large newspaper ads featuring the whiskey and the recipe, as an alternative to the standard Irish beer and Irish coffee choices most Americans know of. If not for these seasonal ads, most people here wouldn't know of Powers.

We could use a little more advertising for Irish brands here. Most people only know of Bushmills and Jameson, and maybe they might learn of Tullamore after receiving one of their gift sets (special decanter, or the gift with the water pitcher enclosed)

Your average liquor store here would only stock Bushmills and Jameson, maybe a few other choices, but not always.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Return to Whiskey