NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

McAllisters Irish Whiskey query

Let's talk whiskey.

McAllisters Irish Whiskey query

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:32 am

Kaixo Chico's,
i have a vintage bottle of McAllisters Irish whiskey Ballymena (hi),after painfull research and going through my Irish whiskey books...but to no avail..Do any of our illustrous members/tipplers have any information on this Label or whiskey..ie what distillery etc???
Slain y Agur,
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Re: McAllisters Irish Whiskey query

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 am

James McAllister and Sons are the likely source of your bottle.
http://www.potstill.de/oldads.htm includes a pic of one of their ads.
They were apparently operational from at least the 1850s, but when Alfred Barnard visited Ireland in the late 1880s he made no mention of them having a functioning distillery, though they appear to have continued marketing whiskey well after that date.
My best guess is that they were bottlers and bonders. There were plenty such in Ireland at that time, bottling own label whiskeys, and Mitchells are the last of that honourable tradition in Ireland today.
I know Irish Whiskey Chaser possesses a bottle of one brand of theirs called Clan Colla, so perhaps he might be able to shed more light?
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Pilgrim,

Can you post a picture for info & posterity?

Cheers TWB
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 am

Yes, very little is known about this crew ... but their adverts and empty bottles pop up regular enough.

WOuld love to see a picture of your bottle...

I got a bottle by them before by the name Clan Colla. I got it very cheap but turned out to be an dear empty bottle as I am pretty positive it was not authentic. See picture here if your wondering there is a replacement cork in the neck.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 pm

I hate to add to your suspicions but that bottle looks very modern and the label extremely clean for something that purports to predate the 30s.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey