NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Is Hyde a distillery?

Let's talk whiskey.

Is Hyde a distillery?

Postby MyIrishHome » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 pm

I bought a miniflask of Hyde SIngle Grain when I was on Ireland in January. Now I would like to know more about them. At the homepage they state as follow

"Our master distillers use age-old traditions to make Hyde Irish Whiskey.

This rare, single malt Irish whiskey uses some of Ireland’s finest ingredients. It is triple-distilled in a traditional copper pot still and aged for 10 years in white oak Bourbon barrels and polished in Sherry casks to give it its classically smooth, elegant and rich flavour full of subtle tones.

This limited edition whiskey is then carefully filtered in a non-chilled process, cut using only pure Cork spring water and bottled in small batches and then presented in handcrafted cases."

Our master distillers? Do they distill by them self, and if that's the case, where?

If not distilling them self, are they haveing a warehouse of there own down in Cork? And has the company been around for 10 years to have a such product?

Or does it all come down to that they "simply" (don't get this wrong, the single grain was good) bottle whiskey?

Good health to you all!
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Re: Is Hyde a distillery?

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 am

Not that I'm aware of, I was of the opinion it was just a generic brand created by this company but the whiskey supplied by someone else.

They possibly have intentions to do their own but would not have any proper stocks currently of their own if they were thinking of their own.

So either way it is probably sourced Irish whiskey.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Raven » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 am

I think they haVe no plans to build
but will continue supply contracts
with established distilleries.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby Raven » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Check out Dave Broom's article about
all this controversy on scotchwhisky.com.
Well worth a read.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby charleymcguffin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Giving credit where it is due . The first person to call out Hyde on their fantasy labeling was Bill Linnane . He has been on their case for many years and indeed I have pointed out the inconsistencies in their labeling. He brought the the boil to a head with his blog https://tripledistilled.blog/2017/08/10/hyde-and-seek/ . Dave Broom plus a few others have taken their lead from Bill's article, restating the dodgy practices and not crediting where they got their lead from. So all Kudos to Bill.
charleymcguffin
Rundlet Cask

Postby Raven » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:11 pm

To be fair to Bill Linnane all the credit to him as Dave Broom is
only doubling on the ball so to speak. The article has really been
noticed when you see a writer like Dave Broom on the case.
We have enough fairy stories in the Emerald Isle already.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Here,here, I harped on about this in brief here and it is very frustrating as all we want is clarity. If the whiskey is good there is no need to create down right lies which appears to be the case with Certain brands.

Talking about West Cork the actual West Cork Distillers got the brunt of our ire prior to this but at least they do have a distillery but I still do not think they are bottling their own 10yo Malt even at this stage but I could be corrected on this. But they are being more open these days :thumbsup: .

Dingle Distillery had also done similar having a Dingle Brand ever before there was a Distillery.

No wonder unfamiliar customers must be forgiven to either been confused or feeling conned.

I could even call out Teeling not because of their sourced whiskies as they are quite open on this but on their tenuous heritage that they started off with but I am glad to say they seem to have pulled back on this.

If a company is serious about their whiskey they should be serious in their interaction with customers and be truthful.

And dont get me started on the Premiumisation of bog standard whiskey.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Stephen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 pm

ah go on ..... can we not get you started :lol:
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Stephen wrote:ah go on ..... can we not get you started :lol:

vrummm, vrummm ;) :lol: