NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Tommy's first BOURBON!

Let's talk whiskey.

Tommy's first BOURBON!

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi all,

...and now for something completely different...a man with a bottle of Bourbon. One would think my being an American that I would of by now (age 55) have tried an American Whiskey. Well, I haven't, at least in it's "neat" form. No doubt somewhere along the line I surely must of had American Whiskey (of some kind) in a MIXED drink but, I couldn't tell you what Whiskey it might of been other than I suspect it was something inexpensive. So, today, (being on vacation) I drove from Maine to the State of New Hampshire Liquor Store and I purchased my first ever bottle of Bourbon! I had spent hours researching Bourbon and I finally decided that my first Bourbon purchase would be : Labrot & Graham "WOODFORD RESERVE" (Distiller's Select) batch number 458.
I have (lucky) bottle number 03322. I ALMOST bought a bottle of the new (and VERY hard/unavailable in many States) just released MAKER'S MARK 46 Bourbon but, I thought it best to first go with the "official" Whiskey of the Kentucky Derby. I'm pretty excited about trying something other than Scotch/Irish. Ooooh, the WOODFORD RESERVE was on sale ($26.99 for a 750ml) which is about six dollar less expensive the MAKER'S MARK 46.
I feel pretty confident that I made a good/wise first choice for my Bourbon experience. I'll let you all know my thoughts on this Bourbon soon.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Re: Tommy's first BOURBON!

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 am

Hi all,

OK, I'm having my first ever dram of Bourbon (WOODFORD RESERVE). Nosing...lots of spice!
Tasting...Whoa! Quite different than Irish Whiskey. A bit HOT upon first sip. Strong Oak and lots of Orange.
A unique PETRO smell that opens up your nose. A continuing warming sensation in my lungs. Simi sweet,
tasty and unique. Smooth and a little oily. Ummmm....me thinks I'm beginning to like this unique American Bourbon! IMHO, waaay different than Irish Whiskey to be sure. I will (for the time being) keep my drams of Bourbon on the small side (one ounce) for the time being (vs. Irish Whiskey one to three drams depending). Interesting stuff to be sure.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 am

Good to see you broadening your horizon's Tommy. And definately well worth your while getting to know your own country's whiskey. Must admit Woodford is not a favourite of mine but is a well regarded Bourbon. However it is an aquired taste in comparison to Irish. I do like Makers Mark and was really impressed with a W L Weller I had. Some of the guys here really rate Rye whiskey which I must give a go but it is all part of the learning experience. I find Some bourbons go really well with ice on a hot summers evening.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Some of the guys here really rate Rye whiskey

It seems to be universally popular, if our last tasting is a valid survey. Check out the results of our vote on the night: http://www.irishwhiskeysociety.com/events/2010/2010-06-24
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby shanel23 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 am

Totally agree on the ice thing - Jim beam is the only whiskey I'll tolerate with ice - especially on a hot summers evening
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:19 pm

If you are one who isn't afraid of mixing bourbon with something, and you are feeling poorly due to a cold, flu, whatever, simply mix a shot of bourbon with hot tea (milk, sugar, lemon, however you like it). Delicious, and works as a fine toddy, for medicinal purposes, of course.

Mixing bourbon with powdered iced tea mix (lemon and sugar flavored), served cold, comes up with an apple taste somehow, and is quite good. Or warm this recipe as a toddy.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Mothrae wrote:Mixing bourbon with powdered iced tea mix (lemon and sugar flavored), served cold, comes up with an apple taste somehow, and is quite good. Or warm this recipe as a toddy.

Sounds like a 75 See last suggestion the read The Fight

I've always enjoyed Iced Tea ... back in the 70's I remember that my mother got a parcel from her aunt in Canada and it contained a large tub of powdered Iced Tea mix ... it was really exotic for us back then :mrgreen: :roll: ... maybe it is something I should try with Whiskey (and me being a total Cocktail-phobe :lol: )
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby cathach » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Funny that, I've always thought tea and whiskey complement each other (separately in my case). I do like a hot pot of scald with a glass of the cratur beside me.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:22 pm

grma IWC for those links!

Now I can give my toddy a proper name. Impress my guests, and all that.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby jcskinner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:55 pm

jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey