NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

John L Sullivan Irish Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 am

I think John L Sullivan Irish Whiskey has been mentioned already on here but just thought I'd post up a link on their website.

Name based on the Famous Irish American 19th Century heavy weight boxer.

Interesting Site if you like boxing or interesting facts about Irish AMerican hero's.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: John L Sullivan Irish Whiskey

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

I've been curious to try this one because of the implication on the label that it only uses first-fill bourbon barrels. It implies an interest in quality, anyway.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm

As you say David sounds like a fairly decent quality blend but we all know how PR people bend the facts.

Small Batch I feel is a bit misleading though. I'm sure that this maybe produced in small Batches i.e. grab x amount of matured whiskey and make it up in a batch and bottle it but small batch really refers to a single batch of whiskey distilled at the one time and casked and kept in context. This is a common term in American whiskey where they do produce whiskey in batches but I think Cooley produce on a much larger scale. Whether there is a major difference or not is another story.

However in saying that the use of first fill bourbon would be of more importance on the whiskey than making it in small batches. So if this is also correct for the maturation of the grain whiskey used it would indeed lead us to believe that this should be a quality blend as we all know how good Cooley grain can be.

Unfortunately I think we on this side of the pond may never see this :(
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Interesting stuff, and apparently one of their distributors is local to me (in Delaware). I haven't seen it on the shelves yet but will keep an eye out for it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm

There's a good flim about Gentleman Jim Corbett that features Sullivan too. Eroll Flynn stars.

There's also some great documentaries on youtube about boxing history and fighters. Well worth a look.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Has anyone seen this on any shelves in the Eastern US? I like to buy at bigger stores, as the selection is far greater, but so many brands I see mentioned here aren't in any of the stores I visit.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby GSC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I don't recall seeing it either. I always look through the Irish and Scotch to see if anything new.

I always got a kick out of Scotch calling itself "rare", with so many bottles of it on the shelves.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Return to Whiskey