NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

HP 1998 vs. Std 12yo.

Let's talk whiskey.

HP 1998 vs. Std 12yo.

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there has done a head-to-head on the Highland Park 1998 (bottled 2010) vs their standard 12yo release :?:

Really enjoying the Orkney whisky at the moment, I reckon the combination of light smoke and sweet finish might be my new default preference :D Aside from PPS that is ;)

J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: HP 1998 vs. Std 12yo.

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I got a chance to try the 94 bottling currently available in travel retail recently, and was surprised at the distinct lack of peatiness. I love HP because I find their peating levels are as much as I'm comfortable with, but this was almost like a 'nude' HP, a bit like a bourbon-finished Glenfarclas I used to have from Cadenheads always came across as sort of undressed without its trademark sherry. :lol:
I haven't tried the 98, but I tend to find all their stuff is good.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: HP 1998 vs. Std 12yo.

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:41 pm

I have 2 unopened single casks which I hope to get around to soon. I usually find them excellent though. I read on another forum recently that people believe that the flavour profile/quality of HP 12 has fallen since the new packaging. However this is an age old aguement and I still find the 12 a great whiskey. However too much of a good thing can spoil it for you.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey