NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

KELLAN (the sequel)

Let's talk whiskey.

KELLAN (the sequel)

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:22 am

Hi all,

On this Wednesday July 14th. 2010 (my 55th. Birthday) I once again tried (a nip) of KELLAN Irish Whiskey.
Well, I'm here to say that I was a bit too "quick on the trigger" when I said that I wouldn't buy Kellan after my first dram. My second time around with Kellan was a MUCH different (and better) experience. Sure, I still find Kellan rather HOT tasting upon first sip but, now, I must admit that I am rather enjoying Kellan's "spiciness". I suspect my "attitude adjustment" is in large part due to the fact that I have now developed a more refined palate as I have been enjoying (for the last couple of months) a dram (make that several drams) of Irish Whiskey or Scotch Whisky most every night. I suppose that I am now more "use" to drinking Whiskey/Whisky in general and as such, I am beginning to appreciate the little differences between Whiskies. So, in a "nut shell", I plan on buying KELLAN Irish Whiskey in the future. So, what have I learned from this experience ? I resolve to be more "reserved" (and take my time) before I make any "hard and fast" comments regarding my dis-likes about any Whiskies. I now understand that when it comes to Whiskey/Whisky, there is a learning curve. A delicious, lovely, sloooow, steady learning curve!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Re: KELLAN (the sequal)

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 am

Belated happy birthday wishes Tom. Enjoy the curve!
Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: KELLAN (the sequel)

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Happy b-day.

SixCats! wrote: I have been enjoying (for the last couple of months) a dram (make that several drams) of Irish Whiskey or Scotch Whisky most every night.

I wish I could do the same! :mrgreen: I am training for a week-long hiking trip to Yosemite National Park so I'm laying off the "sauce" on weeknights. :(
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Happy B-Day Tom enjoy your whiskey :thumbsup:

Ace I hope you are training with a knapsack laden with whiskey. Obviously whiskey is an essential survival tool ... keeps you warm if stranded in the wilderness and a whiskey breath is very effective in staving off hungry bears ;) :lol:

Stayed there a good few years ago and it is really a beautiful Park. However Mirror lake was more like rock lake and the falls (forget it's name) were both fairly dry.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 pm

If Yogi went after my pic-a-nic basket I definitely need some whiskey to fight him off :D
Friends of mine were in Yosemite last year and really enjoyed it!
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 pm

I am training for a week-long hiking trip to Yosemite National Park so I'm laying off the "sauce" on weeknights. :([/quote]

That will be a great week, I was there last year for a day, but watch out for black bears there!
or you may bring a bottle of whiskey with you just in case if there is a thirsty bear!
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes. I did in fact enjoy my NIP of Kellan last night followed by a dram of
Black Bush! Ace, good luck with your training and your hike. Geeeezee, I lived in Los Angeles for SIXTEEN years and I never made it to Yosemite. I could kick myself now for not visiting Yosemite or Big Bear as I now live 3,000 miles away on the East Coast in Maine.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:30 pm

I will be sure to take my 7 oz flask along with me to Yosemite. I have been in bear country before (Montana) and while I don't like the feeling of being at the bottom of the food chain, there is no better way to see the beauty of mother nature than in the wild.

I will have to go to Ireland some day to hike. I was last hiking/camping in the Lake District (northern England) in 1998 and had a great time. I imagine the Emerald Isle would be even more scenic. And, unlike America, no bears! :mrgreen:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby SixCats! » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:07 am

Hi all,

My "sequel" to the sequel ! Last night, I enjoyed a nice (Ferry) Boat ride on Casco Bay here in Portland, Maine.
The PARTY boat ride was "sold out" with over two hundred and fifty people aboard. Being the cheap skate that I am, I made sure I had some NIPS of Irish Whiskey in my pockets rather than pay at the Bar. So, last night I again had KELLAN Irish Whiskey (as well as KILBEGGAN) and found both to be wonderful. I dunno, perhaps it was due to the Sea air but, I find it interesting how quickly my taste in Whiskey has changed since trying KELLAN three weeks ago. My first experience with KELLAN was, I thought it awful! I damn near poured my dram down the Kitchen sink. Now, after giving it more time, KELLAN and KILBEGGAN are both looking like they will become my "go to" budget Irish Whiskey. Make no mistake, I still enjoy POWERS, however, I am finding that I (might) be getting a bit "more" PAZAZZ from KILBEGGAN. In short, I recommend buying a bottle of each of POWERS, KELLAN, KILBEGGAN and BUSHMILLS WHITE LABEL. All four are wonderful bargains. Heck, for the cost of ONE expensive bottle of Scotch,a person could buy FOUR bottles of good Irish Whiskey, open them all, and try a different Whiskey every night for research purposes.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

I would not be over apologetic about liking Kellan & Kilbeggan over Powers for you bang for you buck bottle. It really is all down to personal choice and at the end of the day you are the person that has to drink it. And I know wht you mean by whiskey in the out doors ... I reckon any whiskey tastes twice as good in certain settings. Sounds like a nice way to spend an evening.

I had a sup of Kellan lately and found it a bit strange. I have a feeling that it may not of been the best sample as I'm sure there were a few off flavours in there due to the container :( .
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby SixCats! » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 am

Hi IWC,

I suspect there must be difference between bottlings of Kellan. My first experience with Kellan was awful! However, the last two Nips of Kellan I've tasted have been quite good! Kilbeggan on the other hand I really liked right from the start. I think Kilbeggan is wonderful tasting. That being said, I plan to buy several more (750ml) bottles of Kilbeggan and Squirrel them away. For less than $16.00 a bottle, I've yet to find any Whiskey/Whisky that can compare. In fact, I'm finding Kilbeggan may be just as good as some more expensive Whiskies. Tis' a shame that Kilbeggan is NOT carried in NH. Ooh well, even Maine's price on Kilbeggan is a screaming deal so, I can't complain.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey