NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What happens when you mix whiskey and water?

Let's talk whiskey.

What happens when you mix whiskey and water?

Postby Danielsmith12 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 am

Hi friends,
I am not a drinker.Yesterday I try to drink some whiskey during the office party.Actually, I don't know how to drink the whiskey.sometimes said that to good experience the flavor and aroma of the best whiskey (or whiskey), one ought to add a bit of water. This practice is said to release flavors somehow.Actually, waht happens when you mix whiskey and water?
Please also tell me how to drink the whiskey?
Daniel Smith,
Freelancer at college essay writing service
Danielsmith12
New Spirit

Re: What happens when you mix whiskey and water?

Postby TallyB » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Everything about whiskey/whisky is subjective. What I prefer to drink as my usual tipple will be different from someone else. I personally don't use water or ice, I like to keep my glass in my hand to heat my drink through body temp. I think this rounds out the characteristics the whiskey. If you are just starting to taste differing whiskies then I would suggest you start with a good or reasonably priced one. Cheaper ones can be quite rough. Sip don't gulp. :thumbsup:

P.S. A small quantity of water added to a glass of whiskey will release flavours and oils.
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Re: What happens when you mix whiskey and water?

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:30 am

As TallyB said it is a very subjective thing.

best way is have it your own way but if your serious about getting into whiskey straight is the usual way to go with a nice liped glass and some water if you prefer.

Water does agitate the fusil oils in whiskey which does release extra flavours and scents, so a good way to start is always with water.

Best way for me to investigate whiskey is at home in as much of an odour free environment as possible. What I mean by that is not have whiskey at the local bar when busy as your contending with beer odours and what not. Or while the dog is stretched in front of the fire etc.

If your not used to the strength of a whiskey cut it with water to a level that is comfortable for you currently. This may mean you put in half and half at first.

And as you get into it you'll find you can handle more robust versions and strengths. So if you come across a whiskey that you recoil from don't dismiss it but maybe return to it in a year or so when you are more familiar with whiskey.

But at the end of the day all you need to do is just enjoy and savour your whiskey and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey