NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

New Kilbeggan whiskey finally released

Let's talk whiskey.

New Kilbeggan whiskey finally released

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Well, it's here, at long last.
More details and press release to be found at that lad John Hansell's excellent blog:
http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010/06 ... -53-years/
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: New Kilbeggan whiskey finally released

Postby varizoltan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 pm

why is this went behind curtains? :(

why were we not invited to this? :(
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm

+1
How on earth did this come to light through an American whiskey blog :?: :x
Shame really.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:56 pm

It's possible they informed the Irish media too.
Normally I'd be on their list, but since being made redundant last week, I wouldn't have received their email.
I expect there might be something in the Irish papers tomorrow.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby John » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear that JC. That kind of news puts the fact that a distillery doesn't want to promote its' portfolio in this country to the max, well into the shade. Hope something turns up soon for you.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

varizoltan wrote:why is this went behind curtains? :(
why were we not invited to this? :(

Perhaps because they'd have felt obliged to give us a bottle:

Fittingly the local heritage group was in attendance to witness the launch of the new whiskey as they played a key role in ensuring the survival of the distillery during the years it lay dormant. Also in attendance were distillery employees, without whom the world’s oldest still could not have been brought back to life. All gathered at this momentous event received a signed bottle of the first batch.

@John: Thanks for the kind words.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:08 pm

I think this was just for the special few which is fair enough ... can't be giving out free bottles willie nillie from a batch of 1000 odd bottles.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:41 pm

I was planninng to pick up a bottle this evening but a funeral took precedence. I'm picking up a bottle tomorrow (morning) - have to head to Shannon Hbr and its en-route.

If anyone wants one, I can pick up and bring to Thursday's tasting (up to a max of 6 btls) - I understand they're €50 each.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 am

For those who are not in a hurry, I have confirmed it will be available in the CWS in 2 weeks time!!!!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby PureDrop » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:18 pm

And here's a first look (I'll sample later tonight ...)
I'm very very happy to see Brian Quinn's signature on the bottles. Anyone who has toured the distillery can only be impressed with what has happened in Kilbeggan since the Community stepped in to rescue the place eons ago. They should be bursting with pride on seeing this "labour of love" through to fruition.
I note that the label claimes "the world's oldest pot still" and the "world's oldest distillery". The latter claim is also found on Bushmills labels. I'm delighted to see Kilbeggan distillery claim its proper place in the pantheon of wiskey history. The bottle is also a new one on me, taller than the "standard" one.
/Michael

KilbegganReserve1.jpg
KilbegganReserve1.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

KilbegganReserve2.jpg
KilbegganReserve2.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

KilbegganReserve.jpg
KilbegganReserve.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Last edited by PureDrop on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Compass box use this style of bottle I think.

I'll be a good husband and take the family for lunch tomorrow .... now let me see where could we go .... oh I know the Pantry in Kilbeggan :twisted:

So I should be joining you for a taste tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it.

Let us know what you think.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I should of course have emphasised that the fact that the restaurant attached to Kilbeggan Distillery do the best "Full Irish Breakfast" in the country, bar none, had no influence whatsoever in my stopping by earlier this morning. What a pity I arrived a half hour before the shop opened. Sure, what was a man to do????

I speak with some authority on the subject! See http://www.coolabawnhouse.com/about-us.html (letter from Irish Times halfway down the page)
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 pm

What an endorsement! :D
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Got my hands on a couple today 8-)

and for what it is worth here are my tasting notes ... a bit tiered today so not sure if I really got into it but luckily there is plenty there to get into.

Nose: A much heavier nose than the Cooley Riverstown style. Even though at only 40% it seems to have a bit of nose prickle. Pungent sweet Malt (not over powering though), plasticine & a touch of rubber, stewed fruits ( apple orange and lemon) with cinnamon, (Think of a mulled wine without the wine if you get my drift).

Taste: Lovely Tartness at the start, hot in parts even (probably due to the youth of this Malt) but there is a lovely soft mouth feel to this whiskey... the stewed fruits continue in the taste with Cinnamon but also almond, A little wood and a spice sparkle on the tongue. Lovely and rich flavours all intermingle like a sweet rich Belgium beer all underlined by sweet sugary syrup however possibly a touch of bitter wood sap which is a slight negative.

Finish: The spice and rich sweetness fades into a drying warm finish where the spice and wood remains on the tongue and to me is quite long.

Over all: Sweetness and Spice. An intriguingly unique and enjoyable Irish Malt full of flavour that be-lies its age even though it probably is a tad immature. However it is well worth the punt in my view. I wonder if it is coloured though as it has a grand golden hue. On first visit I really liked this but I suppose I should reserve judgement until I give it a few more goes.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Forgot to add ... I was told by the staff in Kilbeggan that this was a run of 1700 bottles.

Tasted it again tonight and found it a bit more woody this time. Deffinitely room for inprovement but still interesting and I doubt if I'll be chucking the bottle.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Forgot to add ... I was told by the staff in Kilbeggan that this was a run of 1700 bottles.

Tasted it again tonight and found it a bit more woody this time. Deffinitely room for inprovement but still interesting and I doubt if I'll be chucking the bottle.

Woody??? After 3 years? That's unusual. I think this run was from quarter casks but still and all how did they manage that.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 am

IainB wrote:
Woody??? After 3 years? That's unusual. I think this run was from quarter casks but still and all how did they manage that.

It is more of a woodiness that you get from fresh wood. i.e. if the wood is too fresh and not toasted much it takes on the wood quicker but that may only be my imagination.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Luke Gough » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:34 am

Tasted this yesterday, Adrian's review is on the money. A pity they didn't bottle at 46% NCF... :cry:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey