NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

If I were to order Whiskey from Ireland....

Let's talk whiskey.

If I were to order Whiskey from Ireland....

Postby SixCats! » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 am

which ones should I order ?

Hi all,

I have been checking out the Celtic Whiskey Shop of Dublin, Ireland (on line). It would appear there are many Irish Whiskey NOT available in the U.S. I have attempted to use the Celtic Whiskey Shop "search" function but, dear God, is it ever PAINFULLY sloooow to load (if ever). It is so slow in fact, that I can't take it and just "click out" of the site all together. I am pretty sure my computer is not at fault as I recently had my computer updated/overhauled. At any rate, I am open to suggestions for (unavailable in the U.S.) Irish Whiskey.
Anyway, from the information I could find on Celtic's web site, the following Whiskey has peaked my interest :

REDBREAST "15", WRITERS TEARS, GREEN SPOT, LOCKS 8. Are these some of the better choices ?
I am open to any and all suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Re: If I were to order Whiskey from Ireland....

Postby varizoltan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 am

a must buy a "few bottle" is Tyrconnell 17, single cask for 69.99euros, at a special discount price
Connemara 15 & 17 yrs single cask around 100 euros, if you wanna treat yourself with something really good
and as a last chance to buy our last years bottling, buy Locke's Grand Crew 69.99

price to the US i believe is less, because no tax
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:38 am

We probably would not know what is or is not available to you. WHat makes it even more difficult it appears that the market in the states varies from state to state :?

There is not that much really unless your into the higher end collectable ones.

I'll suggest a few from my own opinion.

The Cooley Mini packs are not bad value and a good way to taste a few with out spending the world + plus a free glencairn nosing glass.

There is nothing from Bushmills that you probably can't get yourself that is worth pursuing.

Best of the Cooley Range (From a value to taste ratio)

Connemara Miniature Gift Set @ €12.34 ex tax (3 minis plus a glencairn glass, Reg, Cask Strength, 12yo)

Connemara's, Cask Strength @ €37.03 ex tax

Greenore 8 Year-Old Single Grain Whiskey @ €27.15 ex tax

Lockes 8 Year-old Single Malt @ (circa) €28.79 ex tax

Tyrconnell Single Malt Miniature Pack @ €12.34 ex tax (3 minis plus a glencairn glass, Reg, 10yo Port & Sherry Finish)

Tyrconnell 10 Year-Old Madeira Finish Single Malt @ €57.60 ex tax

Tyrconnell 17 Year-Old Single Malt, Cask No. 5306 @ €57.60 ex tax

Midleton Distillery

Greenspot Pure Pot Still @ (circa) €31.27 ex Tax

Jameson Crested Ten @ €19.25 ex tax

Redbreast 15 Year-Old Pure Pot Still @ €81.48 ex tax

Writers Tears Irish Whiskey @ (circa) €31.27 ex Tax
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby SixCats! » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations. Most of what you guys listed is NOT available
(at least to the best of my knowledge) here in the U.S. I am keeping a running list and plan to do a bit more research of these Irish Whiskey. I appreciate all your help.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 am

Hi all,

The following Irish Whiskey is all that I've be able to find (here in upper New England/Maine & NH).
Bushmills Original, Black Bush, and Bushmills 10, 16 & 21. Jameson, Jameson 12, Jameson 18
Powers, Powers 12, Paddy, Tullamore Dew, Tullamore Dew 12, Michael Collins (blend & SM),
"The Irishman Original Clan", REDBREAST 12, Connemara CS, Midleton Very Rare, and the entry range of
Kilbeggan, Tyrconnell, Kellan, Clontarf, Knoappogue Castle. I think that about covers it all. NH does NOT carry Paddy nor Powers 12. I have a feeling Ireland is still hanging onto most of the best stuff!
So far, my favorites are REDBREAST, BLACK BUSH, JAMESON 12 & "THE IRISHMAN ORIGINAL CLAN".
REDBREAST being the most expensive at $43.00 (NH price). $38.00 on sale!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:31 am

When you say from Ireland do you mean order it from an Irish supplier or order Irish whiskey on line. There may be differences in price depending on how you do it - though if you're not charged duty it should be not too bad either way.

And from the purely patriotic economic standpoint it's an export either way which is good for our balance of payments!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:37 am

Hi IB,

Yes, (sometime in the future) I'd like to place an "on line order" from (for insance) "The Celtic Whiskey Shop" of Dublin, Ireland. I did a Google search for Imported Irish Whiskey and "The Celtic Whiskey Shop" looks to be a good bet. Heck, I couldn't find a single U.S. "on line" business that sells (hard to find) Irish Whiskey. I would of thought there would be at least a few SPECIAL "on line" sellers of rarer Irish Whiskey in the U.S. but, so far, no go. Mind you, I'm not talking about $$$$$ rare years Irish Whiskey. I'm talking about the likes of GREEN SPOT, WRITERS TEARS, REDBREAST 15, LOCKES GRAND CREW etc.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 am

Hi SixCats

All those are only really available in Ireland or Europe. Unfortunately the distillery don't distribute Redbreast 15, Green Spot etc in the US, and the Locke's Grand Crew is a limited release only available in Ireland.

There are shops, like Park Ave Liquors and www.binnys.com, that will have some single cask Irish whiskeys that aren't available in Ireland, however. They should have the Powers and Powers 12 too.

Regards

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 am

JohnM wrote:Unfortunately the distillery don't distribute Redbreast 15 ... in the US

According to John Hansell, the RB15 will appear in the US this year.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 am

DavidH wrote:
JohnM wrote:Unfortunately the distillery don't distribute Redbreast 15 ... in the US

According to John Hansell, the RB15 will appear in the US this year.

Very good. I had actually read that but had forgotten. Anyway, well worth picking up.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the very useful information. I will be checking out Binnys for sure. Ooh yes, I too read about
REDBREAST 15 coming to the States by (perhaps) the end of this year. I just hope it's not TOO expensive, however, I suspect it's going to be near (or above) the $100.00 price range. I may just have to stick with the 12 in that case (which is not a bad thing!).

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby RichNagle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 am

SixCats!

You're getting some great recommendations here. And really, it's hard to go wrong. You might want to ring the CWS with specific queries and additional recommendations. I've ordered from there in person and by phone before -- doing my own bit for the balance of payments. I also have nearly all of the whiskeys mentioned in this thread. I'm about 30 miles north of Boston myself and am actively organizing the IWS American chapter. Drop me a line via email using my user name here (at) mac (dot) com. Sorry to be so obtuse about the address but I'm trying to camouflage it from the webcrawlers.

Sláinte,

Rich
RichNagle
New Spirit

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Rich,

I will be contacting you shortly.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey